PDA

View Full Version : Stump Grinders?

Mowman
08-07-2001, 09:50 PM
Do any of you own one or have rented one to add to your business. The rental place I deal with has one but it's a small hand operated one. It has a 5hp Honda,but they say it works pretty well if the stump is only a few inches above ground 6" tops. Any input?

Thanks,
Mowman

lawnboy82
08-07-2001, 10:07 PM
what do you want to know first off? also, this would be better suited conversation at www.arboristsite.com however you may not get such a good response over there. if you are going to rent a stump grinder, check out your options first. most popular machine for rental shops is a 6 wheel vermeer. good machine for a variety of stumps. its a bit hard to move around in tight areas, but you get used to it. heavy too, so dont go thinkin you can manhandle it by yourself, or even with 2 guys. it goes on a trailer, and the trailer gets towed behind a truck with a hitch. smaller than that, would be what you are talking about. takes forever to do a stump. um. for the bigger stumps that you can back up to with a truck, and that are over lets say 3' in diameter. they have big tow behind stumpers with engines up to and not limited to 72hp turbo diesels. they rip apart stumps like there is no tomorow. a stumper like the vermeer that i am talking about on here, that starts at around 11 or 12 thousand. the ones with the 72hp turbo in it. that you are already up over 30 or 40K stumps for the most part are done by inch. so figure out the going rate for your area. another way to do it if you dont have to do many, is T&M. however your best way to go is get nice sharp teeth, and line up a couple jobs close together. and do em by the inch. over here 4 - 5 dollars an inch is typical. so for a 12" stump is about 50 dollars. you must include, the stump itself, plus root flare. go across the widest part and that is how you do it. also, THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE SOIL! all this includes is cutting the stump out, and tossing the chips back into the hole. removal of chips off the premesis is extra. soil you do as an extra. stumping is pretty easy work, just bring 1 other guy with you to clean up, and remove chips when you get too much of a build up under the machine. any other info you may need, just drop me a line.

ScottH
08-08-2001, 08:18 AM
If you have need for a stump grinder, check out Excel Hustlers StumpCut'R attachment. it attaches to the front of their 3000 and 4000 series tractors. Go to excelhustler.com; choose "products" and select 3000 series. at the bottom of the page it has a link to the StumpCut'R.

It works really well. It is also very quick and easy to move around. If you can use a larger front mount tractor in your business it is fantastic. Or, you could get a used tractor to minimize cost and have it as a dedicated stump machine.

vipermanz
08-08-2001, 08:13 PM
scotth beat me to it!

mowerconsultant
08-08-2001, 08:43 PM
Mowman,
I am in your area pretty often, I would be more than happy to demo the Hustler 4600 with the stump cut'r attachment, to you.
My demo unit is currently in Columbus, but I am going to bring it to a dealer up your way in a couple of weeks, or sooner, if you would like to see it in action.

Also,
Are you attending the turf field day next Tuesday in your area ?
I am not sure of the location, but I am going to be there with my dealer in Wauseon.

Pj @ Hustler Turf Equipment

dhicks
08-08-2001, 09:51 PM
I'm the biggest Hustler fan in the world but if you need a smaller unit I really liked the Prax (sp) unit that was shown at Expo. This hand operated machine would cut the trunk almost 10" below the surface. The show special price was $2500.00 Not bad considering the alternatives. I have no idea whether they have a web presence but worth looking into if you require a small grinder. If you need a bigger grinder, go with the Hustler. Excellent people, support and value.

dhicks
08-08-2001, 09:59 PM
O.K. The Stump grinder that I referred to in my previous post is called the Stump Machine, Praxis, Illinois Corp. www.stumpmachine.com .

Sammy
08-09-2001, 03:08 AM
I demoed the Praxis machine at Expo. Thought that it was a good machine. :cool:

cmestrinelli
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I usually get from home depot. It's a Toro 13hp and it does the job pretty good. Obviously not as fast as a self propelled. They had one for sale for $1600. A brand new i think its over $3000

Nate'sLawnCare
03-06-2013, 09:07 PM
I've rented one of the small 5hp units before, and unless you have small, soft stumps like pine, it's not too good. My local rental shop has a Toro Dingo with the grinder attachment for $170/day and it works very well. It even has a dedicated trailer designed just to haul it.

StanWilhite
03-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Be sure to match the grinder to the job at hand. A couple of years ago I rented a (6 wheel) Vermeer with a 25hp Kohler on it and used it to grind around 150 stumps that were a mix of pine and oak that averaged about 16-18 inches in diameter. It did the job but I would have been a little better off by renting a more powerful one.

If you've never run one be careful, they're dangerous!
Stan

weeze
03-07-2013, 12:15 AM
the ones i see around here are 20k machines. they pull them around behind trucks. they are mounted to their own trailer. the grinding wheel is huge and expensive to replace when it gets worn out. i knew one guy in georgia that got rich from buying one. he had some deal worked out with a pecan tree orchard and would grind alot of stumps there at one time and make a ton of money.