PDA

View Full Version : Trimec and Tulips

GravelyGuy
04-30-2007, 11:31 PM
What effect will a little Trimec overspray have on tulips. How long will it take to show?

Thanks...

mow2nd
05-01-2007, 01:36 AM
a few days. maybe a week, u might be ok, but trimec works slow, so could take 3 weeks, depending on Temp. or nothing might happen. cross ur fingers

Grandview
05-01-2007, 04:42 AM
A little drift might not affect them at all. A fair amount will cause them to twist and look ugly. You will notice effects in 2-5 days. If not much has happened in five days you are probably good. The warmer the temps the faster the reaction.

RAlmaroad
05-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Should Curling occur from the Trimec, dig-em up and replant this fall. That said, tulips and other bulb spring planting must have those leaves long after the flower fades to take in energy for next year's flowers. They may show a little green stem next spring but a small flower if at all. Typically those tulips should not be mowed until the leaves turn brown and die back. Curling from the herbicides will hasten that and bulb will be depleted.

GravelyGuy
05-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys. I applied yesterday and I checked on them today. The plant looks fine, but the petals are starting to fall off. Today was our warmest day of the season so far and I think the tulips are starting to go dormant anyways.

americanlawn
05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Tulip petals don't last long anyway. If a homeowner wants nice tulips, they should dig them up and put new ones in every two years.

When I bought my current home, it had a couple dozen tulips (growing in the turf). I finally figured out that the blooms last only a week....then the plants look like weeds to me. Same with peonies. As soon as they finish blooming, I mow 'em down!!! After 3 years, the peonies never came back (thank God), but the tulips return every year - no matter what I do. Heck - I don't think Roundup would kill 'em!

Nuther thing: Trimec cannot kill these "b"'s. Even ester formulation won't kill 'em. Twisting & curling of the foliage at best.

I consider tulips an old lady's plant. (unless you're talking a Dutch festival).