PDA

View Full Version : I can't sleep! I think that I am going to have a panic attack!!!

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-01-2007, 02:32 AM
So we have tons of work to do right. One of my guys is leaving in a couple of weeks to take a job in Tennessee. Well, between now and then there is a lot of work to get done. In addition, I have a conference that I am leaving for on Saturday and will not be back until Thursday. At this present time he is the only guy that can drive a truck and trailer. I say all that to set this up.

I let him know that we have a mulch job tomorrow, a clean up the next day, and tons more work ahead for this week, and not to mention all the lawns that we still have to cut. I have been letting everyone know for the past week all the work that we had planned. He tells me today in the middle of the work day that he didn't think that he would be able to work tomorrow. No explanation, nothing. Just said that he would let me know for sure by later tonight. He called and left a message saying that he couldn't work tomorrow. Now, knowing that we have all this work piled up and that I am going away that makes me feel really uncomfortable. What if he decides that he doesn't feel like working while I am away? I can't even get to estimates and do what I need to do I am so busy in the field with these guys. I feel sick:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: . Just had to get that off my chest!

He has always been a hard worker when he is working, but I think he has other things on his mind.

topsites
05-01-2007, 03:16 AM
I worry, too, but what can you do?

Last year we had this almost-a-drought, it was pretty dry and I was worried sick, turned out to be my best financial year ever. :confused:

This year my customers are at an all-time low and dropping like flies because I refuse to work for pitas and I'm not doing no crap jobs, and I am so worried it will be another rough year, getting to where I see me compromising myself all over again :cry:

But it will be ok, some kind of way we will both survive, just not sure how :laugh:

rodfather
05-01-2007, 06:50 AM
sounds like you could use my help Rob :)

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-01-2007, 08:30 AM
sounds like you could use my help Rob :)

Brother Rod, I could always use your help.:)

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
But it will be ok, some kind of way we will both survive, just not sure how :laugh:

I hear ya Top. My wife says the same thing. I believe it will be alright as well. No matter what the outcome it will be alright.:laugh: :dizzy: :laugh:

CustomKare
05-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys for reminding me why I work in 3's. Me myself and I. I would love to grow but hiring and depending on others is alot more frustrati0n than I'm willing have. Good luck to you both! If we were closer we could help each other out.

ED'S LAWNCARE
05-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I worry, too, but what can you do?

Last year we had this almost-a-drought, it was pretty dry and I was worried sick, turned out to be my best financial year ever. :confused:

This year my customers are at an all-time low and dropping like flies because I refuse to work for pitas and I'm not doing no crap jobs, and I am so worried it will be another rough year, getting to where I see me compromising myself all over again :cry:

I thought in another post you were doing good? Sorry to hear about the headaches.

Turf Troll
05-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I am not going on any trips but it is about the same for me, a guy just didn't come in and one of his buddies told me he wasn't coming in anymore. That was yesterday.

OH WELL :walking:

Today a guy calls and says he hears I was hiring - guess what dude your right come on in.

My wife and I were up at 4 this morning when we should of been sleeping because of the same problems.

Just gotta get stronger every day in every way :weightlifter:

sheshovel
05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
So we have tons of work to do right. One of my guys is leaving in a couple of weeks to take a job in Tennessee. Well, between now and then there is a lot of work to get done. In addition, I have a conference that I am leaving for on Saturday and will not be back until Thursday. At this present time he is the only guy that can drive a truck and trailer. I say all that to set this up.

I let him know that we have a mulch job tomorrow, a clean up the next day, and tons more work ahead for this week, and not to mention all the lawns that we still have to cut. I have been letting everyone know for the past week all the work that we had planned. He tells me today in the middle of the work day that he didn't think that he would be able to work tomorrow. No explanation, nothing. Just said that he would let me know for sure by later tonight. He called and left a message saying that he couldn't work tomorrow. Now, knowing that we have all this work piled up and that I am going away that makes me feel really uncomfortable. What if he decides that he doesn't feel like working while I am away? I can't even get to estimates and do what I need to do I am so busy in the field with these guys. I feel sick:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: . Just had to get that off my chest!

He has always been a hard worker when he is working, but I think he has other things on his mind.

I'd say it is a bad time to attend a conference for 5 days uh? I think the minute he told you he was leaving in two weeks you lost him. Doubt you will get much if any more work out of him. Get on it and hire some guys who can drive or forget about the conference, it won't pay your bills but staying home might. Don't panic! Remain calm and sort out your options.

Dirt Digger2
05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
where in NJ are you?...if its not too far i could give you a hand on weekends

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks Sheshovel your right panic doesn't solve anything. Also, you were right about the whole losing him when he told me that he was leaving. I spoke with him today and forced him to make a decision. When confronted with saying he will work and commit to it until he leaves or not he decided to bail. That at least lets me know where I stand.

Dirt Digger2: We are located in Gloucester County. Thank you for the offer of help.

Another fellow lawnsiter has offered to help out a bit (Lazer Z). He is going to be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice all.

rodfather
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Another fellow lawnsiter has offered to help out a bit (Lazer Z). He is going to be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice all.

How cool is that I ask lol...Brother Rob coming to the aid of Brother Rob :clapping:

lawnguyland
05-02-2007, 07:33 AM
I feel your pain, but why are you going to a conference for 5 days? Is this your full time job? Is the conference related to this business or another? Bad timing for a conference, but whatever happens good luck. Better to have too much work than not enough!

sheshovel
05-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Your welcome, I wish I could do more than just spout off advice to help you out.

americanlawn
05-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Rob....don't attend any conference, cuz it's just going to cost you lots of money. And I don't mean the cost of the conference.

If you are short-handed, place a help wanted ad TODAY!!!

Stay at home so you can organize your business.

Get right on your estimates (within 3 days) or else your competitors will get all the new business.

If you advertise in any way shape or form...consider it a total waste of money if you cannot show up on estimates fast. It's spring fever time NOW. If I were one of your customers or a potential one, I would ask myself twice...why in the heck is this guy going off to a conference now??? Doesn't make sense.

I rarely attend "conferences" anymore for 2 reasons:

I learn very little new stuff.

It takes me away from making money.

Bottom line: you should try to build a "nest egg" so you can eventually retire.

I hope your wife agrees. Good luck dude. I saw your post, and I immediately empathized with you, cuz I remember:

putting in 90 hour work weeks
using my headlights to treat lawns
never seeing my family for weeks
working every Sunday for weeks in the spring

It ain't always fun, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck, and yes, I watch "The Sopranos".

SoloSulkySurfer
05-03-2007, 11:52 PM
where in NJ are you?...if its not too far i could give you a hand on weekends

Yeah Im curious where in NJ your located also?

topsites
05-04-2007, 12:22 AM
I thought in another post you were doing good? Sorry to hear about the headaches.

ahhh it's just like that, ya get everything just so perfect and you think nothing can knock you down but sho'nuff it does. Then again I probably deserve it, not that this helps my mindset but.

First the A/C on the truck decides it wants to work part-time, still not sure what the problem is other than I suspect a leak AND a mix of PAG and Esther oils, long story short it works like crap.

The mower decides to break, the right side brake pads snapped off, lost an hour swapping machines then later that day the Echo trimmer decides to quit, too... Turned out to be just a spark plug, thank god but I thought I'd seized the motor is how it acted, either way it's likely going to be July before I can get the parts for the Wb.
Oh no, forget taking it to the dealer... One they don't wanna work on it, two it'll be July anyhow, 3 I can't afford it :laugh:

Then I got this customer dilemma, you know...
On the one hand I got customers for whom I can't service the yard fast enough, on the other I got one just dropped me because I was too aggressive, then just to ice the cake I got the ones who don't want to see me until the grass is 3 feet tall and do NOT charge a buck extra... Then you always got the ones to whom you'll always be the lawn boy :cry:

It's just to that point, I get out there but just going through the motions, don't really care if quota is met or not, but I mean what can you do, what can you really do that stops them from taking advantage of the situation AND without losing every last one, besides that you gotta give folks some rope, everybody makes a mistake sometimes and no they're not all bad guys either, just some days it rains it pours.

Try and do it right you get fired, do it the other way you get fired too :laugh:
So you go through this rigmarole, to save a dollar more so you can survive than anything else, finally you get into the swing of things and you got it going on, or so you think and Wham here we go again with the BEE ESS!

Just tired of fighting, tired of making sure everything is so right and then going through all this trouble to save a lousy dollar just to watch that disappear, too.

sorry just had to vent, but give it time, it'll be alrite lol

jsf343
05-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Hey Rob, not sure if anyone mentioned this but what about temps? or somebody from a local church? maybe an ad on Craig's list even. (although that can be hit or miss!) I have found really good employees through those avenues. I know the temp deal isn't always the answer but it can help you out of a jam in the short term. Don't stress bro, it will always get better .
I think someone else just said this (She?) look at all the options, figure out what is best and go from there. I know I am probably oversimplifying but hang tough. :) Employees... can't work with them, can't work without them (in most cases):laugh:

good luck,

Jeff

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Well, I thought that I would just give a shout out to Lazer Z(Rob)for helping us out the past three days. He did a great job, and his help was greatly appreciated. He definitely helped to curb the edge a little.

Also, he is going to be assisting my guys next week while I am away. My one guy has called and said that he will work next week.

Thanks all

Turf Troll
05-05-2007, 07:37 AM
topsites

he mower decides to break, the right side brake pads snapped off, lost an hour swapping machines then later that day the Echo trimmer decides to quit, too... Turned out to be just a spark plug, thank god but I thought I'd seized the motor is how it acted, either way it's likely going to be July before I can get the parts for the Wb.
Oh no, forget taking it to the dealer... One they don't wanna work on it, two it'll be July anyhow, 3 I can't afford it

My walk behind took a dump at the beginning of last year and I was in the same situation.

Then I got this customer dilemma, you know...
On the one hand I got customers for whom I can't service the yard fast enough, on the other I got one just dropped me because I was too aggressive, then just to ice the cake I got the ones who don't want to see me until the grass is 3 feet tall and do NOT charge a buck extra... Then you always got the ones to whom you'll always be the lawn boy

It's just to that point, I get out there but just going through the motions, don't really care if quota is met or not, but I mean what can you do, what can you really do that stops them from taking advantage of the situation AND without losing every last one, besides that you gotta give folks some rope, everybody makes a mistake sometimes and no they're not all bad guys either, just some days it rains it pours.

Try and do it right you get fired, do it the other way you get fired too
So you go through this rigmarole, to save a dollar more so you can survive than anything else, finally you get into the swing of things and you got it going on, or so you think and Wham here we go again with the BEE ESS!

Just tired of fighting, tired of making sure everything is so right and then going through all this trouble to save a lousy dollar just to watch that disappear, too.

AGAIN the same, just add the problems with finding a decent main helper.

But I had a buddy take over six lawn accounts yesterday further away than I want to mow, lost two others in that area which I want to get rid of, And I picked up three closer in my mowing area.

Of course I am days behind that's the nature of this biz, rain - drought - freeze. This spring in the North east was a mess.

Turned in my taxes February accountant says he lost them, paper work is a mess all over the desk and the dining room table,

Was it rodfather who had the sig line " right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot"

Well off to do more catch up mowing and maybe finish a lighting job then Sunday mowing and spraying.

MAYBE just MAYBE Monday I'll be caught up on mowing and just behind in mulching, planting, landscaping work. :weightlifter: :walking:

to save a dollar more so you can survive more than anything else,

This is the wizz pisser comment that I think about most of the time myself, oh well :walking:

Cut n Edge Lawncare
05-05-2007, 09:53 AM
if its the guy who dumped on you that said he could work next week, dont even. He hung you out to dry and will do it again when you need him most. Go ahead and part ways. You should at least learn from this fiasco. When someone gives 2 weeks notice, accept the notice and go ahead and tell him you wont be needing him. The notice most people work out is very unproductive. I would sub to Rob until you get it straightened out. In the mean time for petes sake teach your guys to drive and pull a trailer!!!:dizzy:

Schwabe68
05-07-2007, 10:11 PM
You could try Labor Ready, they charge about $12.00/Hour in my area, but so far have really helped me dig out of my sudden Back-Log.