PDA

View Full Version : need example

Pro-Scapes
05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Does anyone have a picture of an alluminum fixture installed near the coast and what happens to it within a few years ? I got an arc specifying all kichler alluminums on a beachfront condo complex.

NightScenes
05-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I know guys in Florida that use Kichler lights all the time without any problems. Remember that they also have bronze fixtures.

Chris J
05-01-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm one of the Florida boys who uses Kichler, but I don't have any pictures. I'll try to get some and post them for you. Although Kichler aluminum is really good, I would try my best to lead your client down another road if this is a beach-front install. I admit I have installed some aluminum near the beach in the past, but after 7 years, it's getting about time to rip it out. Some of it has held up really well, but I guess I attribute that to "service agreements" where we have had the opportunity to re-lube the o-rings and sockets and keep up with cleaning the fixtures. Nonetheless, the finish will eventually start oxidizing and pitting until it looks like something that was brought up from the titanic expedition.
The brass, bronze or copper would really be a much better option.

Chris J

Pro-Scapes
05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I know guys in Florida that use Kichler lights all the time without any problems. Remember that they also have bronze fixtures.

Paul would you really install 15384 AZT's beach front or would you push the BBR's

steveparrott
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Here's a few I collected.

SamIV
05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Hey Billy, how's it going there. Called when you where at Chuck's place. I believe you are thinking in the right direction, but if he won't budge, I would still complete the install. That's his call. Give him your opinion and move on. You will still get the same results, just not fixtures that will endure what beach will dish out.

SamIV

NightScenes
05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Beach front I would go with the BBRs. Location, location, location. I wanted to make sure that you knew that Kichler has bronze and copper as well. You don't always have to use what's spec'd. Sometimes we have to educate our clients.

Chris J
05-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Just so everyone knows, the BBR line is very expensive because of the natural aging process that has already been developed into the fixture. Kichler has a regular brass line that is much less expensive. The 15384BR, for example, is only about $20 more than aluminum (depending on your supplier)
FYI

Chris J

Landscape Illuminating
05-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Just so everyone knows, the BBR line is very expensive because of the natural aging process that has already been developed into the fixture. Kichler has a regular brass line that is much less expensive. The 15384BR, for example, is only about $20 more than aluminum (depending on your supplier)
FYI

Chris J

Is there an actual difference in quality between the two, or is it just a finish difference? In other words, is one expected to weather better than the other?

Thanks,
LI

Chris J
05-02-2007, 11:39 PM
No, there is no real difference outside of appearance. While the BBR fixture is more appealing to the eye in the first 6 months, they are both made of cast brass. The BR fixtures are a mustard color, and are not very pretty (but this is just my opinion). If installed properly, however, the "look" of the fixture is of very little importance. We are aiming for aesthetics in an overall quality design. If possible, you should not see the source of the light nor should you be concerned with its beauty (or lack thereof). The effect of the light and its long term life should be of primary concern.

Landscape Illuminating
05-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks for clarifying the finish options. I have used the BBR but not the BR or even the CO. Has anyone seen the 15384CO? How does that one rate and compare to the BR/BBR?

Threadjack over.....:hammerhead:

-LI

Pro-Scapes
05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
BBR looks so much nicer than the BR... I think the BR series looks like someone spray painted them gold.

I priced the job with AZT and about 3500 more to swap to all BBR series lights. Really isnt much. Client has the price so will know soon.

NightScenes
05-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Good luck Billy.

niteliters
05-03-2007, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=2Screwed;1816641]No, there is no real difference outside of appearance. While the BBR fixture is more appealing to the eye in the first 6 months, they are both made of cast brass. The BR fixtures are a mustard color, and are not very pretty (but this is just my opinion). If installed properly, however, the "look" of the fixture is of very little importance. We are aiming for aesthetics in an overall quality design. If possible, you should not see the source of the light nor should you be concerned with its beauty (or lack thereof). The effect of the light and its long term life should be of primary concern.[/QUOTe

Have you been reading Bill Locklin's new book, " A Hobby Out Of Control?" :)