PDA

View Full Version : Bark Blower

twhetzel
05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a Finn Bark Blower. I have heard a lot of negatives, any positives AND/OR more negatives? Any alternatives besides dingos?

jack carson
05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
I guy I know thinks it's a ok one. I thought it looked like a decent piece but other than that I don't know.

jack carson
05-01-2007, 01:44 PM
forgot to ask which model you lookn= at?

Tracik801
05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
I have been looking at a Mulch Mule. It seems like everyone loves the Finn BLower instead.

www.mulchmule.com

Mike Fronczak
05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I know some of the Property managers here, when they first came out they were popular, but the companies that had them were hacks. Now they are no longer allowed on alot of the bids I have seen, blew dust into house (screens open), skimed everything so thin it didn't even last a season, etc. I know they did a complex we had maintence on (we were cheery picked), did all of the above & we to change the blades on our shears 3 times (couldn't be shapened out) just for that complex because of all the dust in the shrubs, we normally are good for at least a season.

twhetzel
05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
I am looking at the BB705.

gammon landscaping
05-01-2007, 09:37 PM
well i rented one once i had 50 yds to do and the guy wanted single ground mulch. it was awful. the small sticks that was in it cluged it up. you have to use good mulch double or triple ground

AGLA
05-01-2007, 11:14 PM
How many yards of much do you have to put down to break even?

PerfectEarth
05-01-2007, 11:44 PM
We sub out our hardwood mulching at my full-time gig. I work with the Finn truck when it's on our property (private estate)... The company has two of them, both work great - IF evrerything on the unit is working, which it rarely is. As someone said, gotta have the right kind of mulch. Not too fine, not too chunky. Large pieces will clog. The airlock on the truck we had this Feb. and March was messed up and the fine particles would blow back up into the hopper/chute area- not good.

As with any big piece of machinery, Finns are prone to problems. But overall, I say they're great. That MulchMule looks like a toy. For 50,000 it doesn't look that well built. No thanks.

twhetzel
05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
How many yards of mulch are you guys/girls applying in one hour? The good old fashioned way?

gammon landscaping
05-03-2007, 11:15 PM
well out side of pushing 40 feet up a hill i could do it faster by hand, we had to sift through it all before we put it in the machine

chris638
05-03-2007, 11:47 PM
If you had to sift through it, then you are using the wrong material. We run a double shredded hardwood through and never have any problems. There are cutting knives on the back that are set shear off larger material. On a commercial job, they are perfect. Small residental, not so much. We can spread approximately 50-60 yds. a day with the blower. I don't know any 3 man crew that can do even close to that. By the way, we have a 302. The 500 series can actually blow soil through it. The machine doesn't put down the mulch too thin, the operator does. If a hard working crew can spread 20 yds. a day (very generous), You are cutting your labor by a third by using a bark blower. You can figure from that how many yds. it would take to cover the cost. I figured about 1200-1500 yds., then it's payed for itself.