PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about sunglasses

Paul in Maryland
05-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm ready to buy some sunglasses for lawnmowing, driving, and general use. I figure it will take two, maybe three different pairs to cover all the bases.

I'm looking chiefly at the three brands sold here (http://www.avidaviator.com/sunglasses.html): American Optical, Randolph Engineering, and Serengeti by Corning. I favor glass for its clarity, and the Randolphs in particular look sufficiently shatter resistant.

Which sunglass features are best for cutting grass?

polarized or non-polarized?
glass or plastic?
neutral gray or "detail enhancing" brown for quickly seeing sticks and quickly distinguishing cut grass from uncut?
photochromatic or nonchanging?
hooked temples (so the glasses don't slip down your nose when you sweat)?
What else? Do you see sunglasses as an investment or an expense that's good for maybe one season?

CutsForLess
05-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I just use plastic safety glasses to mow and weedeat in, as long as they dont break easy I guess any will do.

ProStreetCamaro
05-01-2007, 06:50 PM
I wear glasses so I only had one choice and thats Oakley RX sunglasses. I have had them for 3 years now and its been the best investment I have ever made.

BUCKEYE MOWING
05-01-2007, 06:54 PM
IMHO...Oakley plastic and in the lens and frame of your chice of your choice are the way to go ..I believe that they have metal frames also

statman
05-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Oakley half-jackets - about $125 and you can buy new lenses for $40 when they get scratched.

TPLawnPro
05-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Either Oakley or Rudy Projects. You can't go wrong with either one. Prescription RX lenses are available for both brands.

When it comes to protecting your eyes, spare no expense.

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/ekynox.htm

ProStreetCamaro
05-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Mine are the A-Wire frames with RX Oakley polorized lens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/572271248203_0_ALB.jpg

David Gretzmier
05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I wear prescription glasses, I lose sunglasses like crazy and they get scratched up from work, so I buy the newer "over the glasses" version from walmart. polarized, great side protection from debris and glare, and about 20 bucks with tax. I probably buy a pair every 3 months or so.

Scagguy
05-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I use Maui Jims and Revos. The MJ's are great for polarization. To me they are the best for everyday work use. The Revos are used when playing golf. Sure they cost some money, but I had lazic surgery done 3 years ago and I want the best UV protection for my eyes.

scchamblee
05-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Costa Del Mar all the way.... then swap to Stihl safety glasses for trimming and edging.

prosperity
05-01-2007, 09:15 PM
As others have mentioned, we're talking about your eyes here - do it right and get a good pair - take care of your eyes!

For me, polarized is a must once I've tried them. But, don't be fooled by cheap polarized glasses - they will have a lot of distortion.

For mowing, I say plastic lenses.
Neutral Grey - being polarized you will see all the details just fine.
Non - photo chromatic - they don't work in a vehicle due to the vehicle glass stops UV light.

I have a good pair of safety sunglasses that I have always used for mowing. I got a nice pair of Bolle Kickbacks for in my truck recently (polarized). I love these glasses, but don't want to use them while mowing.....so I'm watching ebay for another pair - I'll have a backup pair so I can use one pair for mowing.

http://www.pbase.com/24/image/78080368.jpg

JoshC
05-02-2007, 12:44 AM
I've have had a pair of Oakley Half-Jackets for about a year and half and they have taken a beating and still look new. There have been a few times that I've been mowing up under a tree and had them on top of my head and they will get hit by a branch. Amazingly they still haven't gotten scratched.

For Christmas I got a $200 pair of Oakley Polorized M-Frames that were really nice but I didn't wear very often because they were so expensive. About a month ago the glasses, along with the pouch, disappeared out of my truck. I think one of my co-workers stole them, but of course I have no way to prove it.

pclawncare
05-02-2007, 12:51 AM
I have a pair of maui jims for regular driving and love them but for mowing and trimming i wear stihl's glasses my dealer alwase have a bunch of them and at 10 bucks a pair who cares of they get scratched or lost or broke i buy about 3 pairs and they last me all year and usualy more i usualy get some of the gray ones and a pair of the yellow ones for when it is getting dark out side or early in the morning

sheshovel
05-02-2007, 12:53 AM
As others have mentioned, we're talking about your eyes here - do it right and get a good pair - take care of your eyes!

For me, polarized is a must once I've tried them. But, don't be fooled by cheap polarized glasses - they will have a lot of distortion.

For mowing, I say plastic lenses.
Neutral Grey - being polarized you will see all the details just fine.
Non - photo chromatic - they don't work in a vehicle due to the vehicle glass stops UV light.

I have a good pair of safety sunglasses that I have always used for mowing. I got a nice pair of Bolle Kickbacks for in my truck recently (polarized). I love these glasses, but don't want to use them while mowing.....so I'm watching ebay for another pair - I'll have a backup pair so I can use one pair for mowing.

http://www.pbase.com/24/image/78080368.jpg

Actually those glasses you posted are not protecting your eyes properly.
You need FULL wrap arounds with air vents, plastic saftey glasses that are 100% UV rated. For work you do that does not require safety glasses, you still need full wraps with 100% UV rating.
a post I made two years ago here:
Another thing thats really important when your doing close work is to look way away and off in the distance every 20min or so or after awhile it will mess with your seeing.And everybody knows people in our line of work have a very high rate or Macular Degeneration
so wear only 100%UV rated wrap around shades and were them all the time outside in summer.

buddhaman
05-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Here's what I use, good and cheap. Plus they wrap around your eyes.

http://www.jondon.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=16930

sheshovel
05-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Here's what I use, good and cheap. Plus they wrap around your eyes.

http://www.jondon.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=16930

Are they 100% UV rated? If not they will not protect your eyesight.

youcallwemow
05-02-2007, 02:04 AM
I've found that my left overs from motorcycling, RX Sports lens which have padding all around the edges, have no line bi-focals, transitions from light to dark, vice versa, anti scratch plastic and anti reflective, are awesome for both motorcycling, snow skiing, anything outdoors...a little pricey though. My eye doc set me up with them....actually used my benefits from my "other" job at a steel mill to almost totally pay for them.

fiveoboy01
05-02-2007, 04:31 AM
I wear Oakley M-frames, they have a clear lens. I don't like using tinted sunglasses for trimming - the clear lens lets me see everything well, they wrap pretty good, and they still block 100% of UV rays while protecting my eyes and not looking too bad either.

If I'm mowing and the sun is real bad, I wear my Bolle Mean streaks.

But yeah, I agree that expensive optics even if they are non-prescription, are worth every penny.

MarcSmith
05-02-2007, 07:53 AM
i second the oakleys...Oakles are ANSI approved saftey lenses as well... Iu sed to use the frogskins, and I'd buy a new pair every year and then send the old pair for new lenses. Gives me an extra pair to keep in the truck.

in case I forget /loose a pair.

Glasses are like shoes to me. spend about 10-15 bucks a month on shoes and glases IE 120 bucks a year and you won't be disappointed.

I went with polarized for the the first time last year. What a difference.

John Gamba
05-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Whats the best to cut with?? it seems here you cannot cut with sunglasses on .

hughmcjr
05-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Oakleys are about the best way to go while working with power equipment and sun protection combined. Shotgun proof lenses make them a good choice for eye safety.

John Gamba
05-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Oakleys are about the best way to go while working with power equipment and sun protection combined. Shotgun proof lenses make them a good choice for eye safety.

Thank you.

Paul in Maryland
05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Well, you guys have persuaded me to go with plastic lenses, not tempered glass.

It turns out that the ANSI Z87.1-2003 impact standard specifies two levels of protection (http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ansiz8712003.html): "basic impact" and "high impact."

1. Two Levels of Protection:
Basic and High
LENSES: The new standard designates that lenses will be divided into two protection levels, Basic Impact and High Impact as dictated by test criteria. Basic Impact lenses must pass the "drop ball" test, a 1" diameter steel ball is dropped on the lens from 50 inches. High Impact lenses must pass "high velocity" testing where 1/4" steel balls are "shot" at different velocities.

Spectacles: 150 ft./sec.
Goggles: 250 ft./sec.
Faceshields: 300 ft./sec.

In other words, lenses that meet the high-impact standard are far more capable of withstanding a high-energy projectile such as a thrown rock.

This site (http://www.labsafety.com/store/Safety_Supplies/Eyewear/Safety_Glasses/+-201482/?recsPerPage=45) sells a huge selection of safely glasses and goggles that meet the high impact standard.

TAZ
05-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I just get cheap sunglasses from safety glasses usa. They have a large selection that meet the standards. I use them on my motorcycle and have taken hits from rocks at highway speeds with no problems. They are cheap and for working if you break them or scratch them they are disposable. I save the expensive ones for recreation.

If you need Script suns wiley's are military approved.

I also have a hard time cutting in certain conditions with polorized lenses. The non-polorized cheap-o-s seem to be better for me.

-TAZ

John Gamba
05-02-2007, 09:59 AM
I
I also have a hard time cutting in certain conditions with polorized lenses. The non-polorized cheap-o-s seem to be better for me.

-TAZ

This is the problem in my area. you cannot tell where you have been with sunglasses on.

Paul in Maryland
05-02-2007, 10:36 AM
This is the problem in my area. you cannot tell where you have been with sunglasses on.Has anyone tried the Bolle EagleVision 2 lenses (http://www.opticsplanet.net/bolle-golf-sunglsses.html)? They're designed to let golfers see more contrast in grass.

John Gamba
05-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Has anyone tried the Bolle EagleVision 2 lenses (http://www.opticsplanet.net/bolle-golf-sunglsses.html)? They're designed to let golfers see more contrast in grass.

fitzg2md
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
another vote for costa del mar...best glasses hands down.

lawnprosteveo
05-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Ive been getting mine at www.safetyglassesusa.com They have a big selection. I have had good luck with the Pyramex Zone 2 brand. Only about $6 a pair. They last a couple of seasons at least and filter 99% of the UV rays.

GSPHUNTER
05-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Costas are simply the best. They are super light weight and clear. I've got the Costa Del Mar triple tails. They retail at $199.99, but are well worth it if you take care of them.

SSS 18734
05-02-2007, 04:45 PM
www.peakvisionsports.com

My girlfriend's father owns this company. The sunglasses are made specifically with golfers in mind, but would be just as appropriate for mowing. And the lenses are made from the same material that space shuttle cockpit windows are made of, so they're virtually shatterproof.

John Gamba
05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
www.peakvisionsports.com

My girlfriend's father owns this company. The sunglasses are made specifically with golfers in mind, but would be just as appropriate for mowing. And the lenses are made from the same material that space shuttle cockpit windows are made of, so they're virtually shatterproof.

Cool:cool2: I'm more interested in looking good, not so much into the safety thing:waving:

SSS 18734
05-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Cool:cool2: I'm more interested in looking good, not so much into the safety thing:waving:

Take a look at these. Her dad gave me this pair for free and I think they look pretty cool. Granted, they look awful on some people that try them on. :)

http://www.peakvisionsports.com/shop/product_detail/product_id/1661?&scid=5&category_id=5&mid=17

John Gamba
05-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Take a look at these. Her dad gave me this pair for free and I think they look pretty cool. Granted, they look awful on some people that try them on. :)

http://www.peakvisionsports.com/shop/product_detail/product_id/1661?&scid=5&category_id=5&mid=17

I would need to see them on you or someone else

Paul in Maryland
05-02-2007, 05:30 PM

These make a lot of sense, combining the grass-enhancing optical properties of the Bolles Eagle Vision 2 with the clarity and strength of the Rudy Project's NXT clear-polyurethane lens (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/impactx.htm).

mikes landscaping
05-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Costa Del Mar all the way.... then swap to Stihl safety glasses for trimming and edging.

oh yeah costa's all the way lol. they are the best.

brucec32
05-03-2007, 12:26 AM
I prefer serengeti for driving, since they are not too dark and adjust. Sometimes in really bright stuff I want a set of wrap glasses that are darker, though.

My brother has a set of H20ptix that are great. made for water sports and I believe impact resistant lenses. I tried them. Serengeti either owns them now or used to. They are also much cheaper than the overrated Oakleys.

I have used cheapo plastic lens wraps lately, I find the purpose built safety glasses very uncomfortable and too dark or too light, depending on the lens choice. Anything you get will be scratched up soon, so don't spend a ton. Use good ones for driving.

ProMo
05-03-2007, 08:14 AM
I went over 20 years without using safety glasses because I couldnt see well going in the shade etc. Purchased the oakly transition lenses and I have not worked without them. Now my only problem is getting sweat on the lenses.Oakley is supposedly working on a hydrophobic lens that will repel water.

meathead1134
05-03-2007, 10:37 AM
I wear prescription glasses, I lose sunglasses like crazy and they get scratched up from work, so I buy the newer "over the glasses" version from walmart. polarized, great side protection from debris and glare, and about 20 bucks with tax. I probably buy a pair every 3 months or so.

ouch I had my last pair of Oakleys for 5 years before they fell off my shirt and I dragged the garbage barrel over them.

Pro-Scapes
07-10-2007, 10:49 PM
when your using sunglasses in place of saftey glasses be sure they are Ansi Z87.1 rated for shatterproof.

On another note. I bought my wife a pair of Costa del mar frigate glasses with the mirrored blue lens. This is quite possibly the most comfortable and clearest pair of sunglasses I have ever worn. Just worlds apart from others I have tried including Guess... Nike... Oakley....Rayban...Serengetti... bollie and other less expensive brands. I only wear my prescription glasses as needed and they are a very light prescription. These costa del mars were actually more comfortable to drive in then my prescription sunglasses. I would highly reccomend trying on a pair if youcan afford ahigher end sunglass (we paid 179 at bass pro with the 400 series lens)

lawnmaniac883
07-10-2007, 11:29 PM
How do you guys deal wear sunglasses and still protect your hearing if you use muffs? Everytime I try to wear sunglasses and put the muffs on over them its like the effectiveness of my muffs goes way way down.

MOturkey
07-10-2007, 11:36 PM
I buy the Stihl's at my local dealer. Ten bucks a pop. I'm protecting my eyes, not making a fashion statement. :)

pclawncare
07-11-2007, 12:35 AM
I agree with lawn maniac i also wear muffs and it does reduce their effectiveness i think and on occasion it really hurts my ears with the glasses behind my ear

thebeans
07-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Not sure what's best for mowing but for driving I can say only one thing...Serengeti Drivers. Best freakin' driving glasses ever created by anyone. I bought a pair when I was in college in the mid 80's. Still have them and wear them every day. They have glass lenses so they don't scratch unless you abuse them. They are around $70 - $80. I have the Aviator shape lens but just get what fits your face best.

nt1
07-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Glasses last about 5 minutes before the lenses fill up with sweat making visibility impossible. The only thing that might work would be a face shield but thats just a "bit" on the bulky side.

ProMo
07-11-2007, 09:09 AM
oakley has a hydrophobic solution to wipe on lenses to repel water. They are also coming out with a hydrophobic lens.

thebeans
07-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Glasses last about 5 minutes before the lenses fill up with sweat making visibility impossible. The only thing that might work would be a face shield but thats just a "bit" on the bulky side.

A sweatband or bandanna might help you if you are actually getting sweat running off your head onto your glasses. I am folically challenged myself and have to have something under my hat to soak up sweat when its hot or I get sweat in my eyes and on my glasses. I use a bandanna folded into a triangle and put over my head biker / redneck style. This is a big help. If you are talking about fogging of the lenses from sweat and humidity, get some Cat Crap. No, not real cat crap. Its an anti fog lens coating that works great. Its available from Campmor.com and probably other places too.

brucec32
07-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm ready to buy some sunglasses for lawnmowing, driving, and general use. I figure it will take two, maybe three different pairs to cover all the bases.

I'm looking chiefly at the three brands sold here (http://www.avidaviator.com/sunglasses.html): American Optical, Randolph Engineering, and Serengeti by Corning. I favor glass for its clarity, and the Randolphs in particular look sufficiently shatter resistant.

Which sunglass features are best for cutting grass?

polarized or non-polarized?
glass or plastic?
neutral gray or "detail enhancing" brown for quickly seeing sticks and quickly distinguishing cut grass from uncut?
photochromatic or nonchanging?
hooked temples (so the glasses don't slip down your nose when you sweat)?
What else? Do you see sunglasses as an investment or an expense that's good for maybe one season?

I have used Serengeti glass lensed photochromatic drivers for years. Very crisp vision, excellent in less than super-bright conditions where dark lenses are too dark. Much more detail than a set of really dark lenses. But they are NOT suitable for working in. I put a pebble through one pair about 10 years ago and instantly switched to plastic shatterproof lenses. I was lucky not to be injured by the glass. I still have two pairs I use for driving. Pretty well made, too.

There have been so many companies bought and sold, I'm not sure if they are still made by Serengeti, but the H2Optix line is very lightweight and comfortable. Bolle' may make them now, I'm not sure. Mine are polarized and I use them in very bright conditions. One negative of polarized lenses is that some things in your vehicle may be erased at certain angles by the polarization, such as a digital radio readout or various other gauges. In my car I have to turn my head to see the radio readout.

I like Oakley wraps in the grey lens, but they are fragile and I've had two sets crack the temple from stress over time. Way overpriced, too.

Cheap $15 plastic lensed wraps from Target are what I use, since anything you use will soon be scratched up from trimming/edging. I have a pair of serengeti frames I had re-lensed with lighter plastic lenses at a shop for days when it is not bright and the regular dark lenses are too dark.

I'd suggest you get one pair of nice photochromatic shades for driving, one nice dark wrap style for really bright conditions, and cheapos for work.

Not much need to spend over $50 or so. Check ebay for overstocks and discontinued models at a discount. Beware of fakes, especially Oakleys.

I find the purpose made protection glasses sold by the various equipment manufacturers to be too dark or light, too heavy, and to have distorted vision and haven't found a comfortable pair yet either.

HicksGroundMgt
07-19-2007, 10:48 PM
we get BOA's from the hardware supply store down the road. 3.50 for a pair and they last the entire season. polarized and shatterproof. go to an actual hardware store not lowe's or home depot but a real store where construction equipment is sold at. garentee you'll love 'em. our guys have been wearing them for the past four seasons. keep a box in the shop, first pair is on us and 4.00 for another after that

BQLC
07-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Costa's all the way for me for everything. they are ANSI approved as well

prizeprop
07-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Drug fair $12.99 glasses.