PDA

View Full Version : Dead tree is it my fault

gobblet
05-01-2007, 05:43 PM
I have a lawn customer that I sprayed some Lesco liquid Prosecutor weed killer for under a Weeping willow tree. The area of the weeds sprayed was about 10x15 ,that same year the tree started dying. I always spray on this property even Canadian thistle that grows in the juniper ground cover with the same product never has kill any of it. What do you think? can this product kill a large tree around 4oz./gal. mixed.

gqnine44
05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
..........no

americanlawn
05-01-2007, 07:01 PM
The only way Procecutor (Roundup) can kill a tree is if the tree has sprouts growing up off it's root system and they get sprayed.

I killed a linden tree by mistake many years ago. It had lots of sprouts (with leaves) growing up off its roots. The linden was already under stress, because it was planted in a confined area with heavy clay soil (clay soil is their worst enemy).

So make sure not to spray under strees with suckers growing from its roots.
Weeping willows do this sometimes. Willows easily translocate herbicides and/ or fertilizers. Use a broadleaf herbicide instead. Then pull the grasses.

Nathan Robinson
05-01-2007, 07:38 PM
look on the labeling and see what it says about the vapors as well. A willow tree is hard to kill. I would pull a sample off of the tree now and send it to your state chemists office and have them check it out. This covers your butt and if it is a disease you can sell some maujet (tree injections) to her....

RigglePLC
05-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Nate is right. However--even better--get a tree service to come out and give you a diagnosis. You can claim you are not responsible until you have ruled out: root rot, girdling root, stem canker, lightning strike, leaf spot, borers, and on and on. Most trees have about 10 diseases and 10 insects possible. What about drought?

If it was herbicide --the damage should be worse on the area nearest where the spray was applied. Find a nursery where willow is grown--do they use glyphosate to control weeds under the trees?

olive123
05-02-2007, 06:18 AM
no way if it was a mature tree you wont kill it by spraying the area around it.

Turfdoctor1
05-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Willows are very short lived in the landscape, especially any type of urban landscape. As already stated, they are notorious for disease and insect infestations. And, their natural habitat is on the riverside, pointing to the fact that they need a LOT of water.

It is highly unlikely that you caused the tree to start dying. They are simply a short lived tree in the landscape.

xpnd
05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Weeping willows do this sometimes. Willows easily translocate herbicides and/ or fertilizers. Use a broadleaf herbicide instead. Then pull the grasses.

I strongly disagree! Trees are nothing more than really big broadleaf weeds as far broadleaf herbicides are concerned in regards to their mode of action. And since a few can be soil active and nearly all volatize to some degree, I think there is more risk of extensive damage if you use broadleaf herbicides around mature trees and outright death to smaller trees. Prosecutor IMO would be better since it is not soil active and does not volatize.

I do spray Broadleaf herbicides under trees but either very lightly with a quick pass or spot spray if the tree is small.

LawnTamer
05-03-2007, 03:13 AM
I would also say no. Willows here are notorious for borer problems, peel back some bark and check.

hughmcjr
05-03-2007, 06:44 AM
I strongly disagree! Trees are nothing more than really big broadleaf weeds as far broadleaf herbicides are concerned in regards to their mode of action. And since a few can be soil active and nearly all volatize to some degree, I think there is more risk of extensive damage if you use broadleaf herbicides around mature trees and outright death to smaller trees. Prosecutor IMO would be better since it is not soil active and does not volatize.

I do spray Broadleaf herbicides under trees but either very lightly with a quick pass or spot spray if the tree is small.

You can disagree all you want, but what you are saying is ERRONEOUS! The most 2-4 D can do or other broad leaf herbicides is hurt foliage and that is if it is sprayed on the foliage. Even if you spray a brush killer like Crossbow to kill suckers/sprouts it is hard to kill most well established trees completely to their roots.
If what you were saying is true, and beyond a doubt it isn't, most people would use herbicides to kill trees and their would not have been any brush/tree killing products made or in use.

xpnd
05-03-2007, 08:36 AM
You can disagree all you want, but what you are saying is ERRONEOUS! The most 2-4 D can do or other broad leaf herbicides is hurt foliage and that is if it is sprayed on the foliage. Even if you spray a brush killer like Crossbow to kill suckers/sprouts it is hard to kill most well established trees completely to their roots.
If what you were saying is true, and beyond a doubt it isn't, most people would use herbicides to kill trees and their would not have been any brush/tree killing products made or in use.

Gee, I guess the 15 year old Crepe Myrtle I finally eliminated on my property simply died from natural causes. I used every product I had in inventory. When it leafed out after the second year of my efforts I doused it with 6lb 2,4-D only one time and it croaked. I used the few gallons that were left over in my tank from spraying yards one day in late spring.

The major difference for brush/tree killing products is the labelling. Most of the different AI found in these can be found in broadleaf herbicides also. The label calls for a higher percentage of AI to be used and discusses trunk injection methods.

When dealing with the customers lawn, it is better to be safe and not sorry. My customers have a far greater knowledge of what I should and shouldn't be doing even though I have been doing this for 15 years. When asked if I broadcast broadleaf weed killer under a tree, I would rather be able to truthfully say "NO, that is not the reason your tree or shrub is suffering" and have the discussion promptly end there. There is a bid difference between what you can do and what is better not to do.

garydale
05-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Roundup only works on green tissue.You can spray a tree truck directly with no damage.( a green seedling is green tissue)

Comparing 2,4-d with roundup is way out in left field.

Nurseries band treat their rows of trees regularly by observing "no green" tissue rule.

Roundup is not picked up by roots either. Farmer spray and plant in one pass because it issafe and predictable.

Why did you use a 4oz. rate??

americanlawn
05-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Three way herbicides won't kill a "large weeping willow" as gobblet described.

Roundup can ... if enough sucker leaves are sprayed.

Borers are NOT their main threat.......only down south (long horn beetles) which Ohio doesn't have.

"Canker" is their main threat. duh

Canker on willows is typically a slow death -- not all of a sudden. Check the web, and you will see. Canker is the main reason they die early.

I cannot dignose further without more info. Hope he didn't spray suckers with Procecuter (Roundup).

p.s. "brushkiller" is the best product to kill woody vegetation. Roundup is not usually effective.

tremor
05-03-2007, 07:33 PM
I have tried to kill nuisance trees with Roundup & 2,4-D. It can't be done by spraying suckers. I went so far as to drill holes in the root flare & poured straight Roundup into the holes & didn't even flag the tree. LOL

I've been certified 3A since 1985 & arborist since 1988. I have never once seen a ground based application of Roundup cause damage to a tree even if suckers were sprayed.

Only once did we ever see a tree route sprayed with a route mix of 2,4-D. The guy had parked a lawn rig set for weeds with 300 gallons left in it & his idiot men top filled the tank to 500 & took it out spraying trees. They sprayed 8 properties that day. Every tree was brutally ugly but not one of them actually died. The trees that he replaced were due to aesthetic reasons.

hughmcjr
05-04-2007, 12:11 AM
I have tried to kill nuisance trees with Roundup & 2,4-D. It can't be done by spraying suckers. I went so far as to drill holes in the root flare & poured straight Roundup into the holes & didn't even flag the tree. LOL

I've been certified 3A since 1985 & arborist since 1988. I have never once seen a ground based application of Roundup cause damage to a tree even if suckers were sprayed.

Only once did we ever see a tree route sprayed with a route mix of 2,4-D. The guy had parked a lawn rig set for weeds with 300 gallons left in it & his idiot men top filled the tank to 500 & took it out spraying trees. They sprayed 8 properties that day. Every tree was brutally ugly but not one of them actually died. The trees that he replaced were due to aesthetic reasons.

Thank you. This is what I was trying to say. I spray Speedzone or 2,4-D/Dicamba combinations on lawns with shrubs right next to them or shrubs right in the lawn itself with very little clearance around them and NEVER in 15+ years have I killed one. I have injured a few leaves at times, but that was it. Trees would be even harder to kill. Flowering bulbs store a lot of energy and like Iris, etc and they are tough to kill as well even spraying directly with Roundup or combo herbicides and they still survive.

upidstay
05-04-2007, 04:19 PM
The only way a tree would be killed by spraying an herbicide is if it was done deliberately. MAYBE, a broadleaf with alot of Dicamba in it would be taken up by the roots, but definitely NOT round up. No way, no how.

tremor
05-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Ditto the dicamba. Shallow rooted trees like Dogwood are easily damaged by dicamba. Probably not KILLED unless the thing already has serious issues but you can STRESS a shallow rooted tree.

Roigator
05-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I too, seriously doubt that your spray killed the tree. Is it getting enough water? Is it planted too deep? What is the pH of the soil?