PDA

View Full Version : Attention all Ford 5.4 and V-10 owners the latest news about Ford Engines

Nelawnguy
05-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Ford Engines "Dropping Like Flies" Spark Plug Blow-Outs. Sorry to say that I own one of these engines the only problem is that I actually like the truck, but I can't afford to be down that long of time.
Check it out for yourself.
1) Type in ford spits spark plug, then go to consumer affairs. Read the results that are happening.
2) Call your local dealership and ask them. The response that I got was the salespeople no nothing about it, but when I came into the service area they said oh another spark plug blown.
3) call Ford customer service @ 1-800-392-3673 ask them. They do not know anything about it and when you ask to speak to a customer service supervisor it will take 24 hrs to get back to you but it rarely happens.
4) Check it out make your own decision but read that article Ford Engines "Dropping Like Flies". Don't believe that the problem was solved in 2000 I have a 2002 Ford F 150 that I need to get rid of because I can not afford to be down that long of time GRASS KEEPS GROWING.

xcopterdoc
05-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Yup... Old news. It happens.

hosejockey2002
05-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Did the spark plug blowout actually happen to you? To me, this seems to be one of those things where I've heard of this happening, but I've never actually talked to a real live person who had a spark plug blow out, and I've talked to a lot of owners of these engines.

Dirty Water
05-02-2007, 12:58 AM
I've heard of it happening on the V-10's, because they did not use enough threads in the spark plugs wells on the heads, and the compressom was stripping the threads.

I know they redesigned the heads to have more threads in 2000.

I wonder if the way they fix this is to swap in a new head, or if they just tap and helicoil the spark plug wells.

Gravel Rat
05-02-2007, 02:39 AM
My cousins F-150 had a plug blow it is powered by a 5.4 and the head got replaced with a upgraded one. They wouldn't helicoil the plug hole the only option was replace the head it was a expensive job. The other problem Ford has is the coil pack ignition which is very expensive to fix.

I have heard stories about spark plugs putting dents or going through the hood but I think thats a bunch of crap. What happens is when the plug blows it pushes the coil pack off.

We have to get used to this stuff because old vehicals with carburators and push rod engines are not going to be around in the next 10 years.

As for making a post on the lastest news about Ford engines is old news.

RedWingsDet
05-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Its mainly v10s, the early ones. They only used 3 threads to hold the plugs in. Exhaust manifolds are common to rust out too and the bolts will need to be retapped.

imo its not that big of a deal. It could be worse.

sorry but you kinda seem like the type of guy who gets upset when they need new brakes. Its a vechicle and they do break, no matter if its chevy, ford, or dodge, they all have their problems, and ive had them all.

Nelawnguy
05-02-2007, 10:26 PM
This actually happened to the truck that I have and it is a 2002 Ford F-150 with a 5.4. Just type in Ford spits spark plug and go to the consumer web site. Ford never really fixed the problem just ask any Ford mechanic they do not even get paid enough to actually do the replacement of the head. Ask a salesman and you get the answer of I really never heard of that happening. It cost around $3000 to fix it and a week without a vehicle.

montana jack
05-03-2007, 02:10 PM
That news is not current. The problem was with early V10s & has been addressed several years ago. Problem is rare in newer models.

Nelawnguy
05-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Montana jack I have a 2002 Ford 5.4 that spits spark plugs and alot of other people have this same problem that Ford has not dealt with. Type in Ford spits spark plug and go to the consumer web site, it will shock the public.

Dirty Water
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
So...

Sell the truck? Whats the issue here?

haybaler
05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
whatever, boring , who cares. let's go back to the powerstroke discussion. we have a ford dealer in the springfield area that caters to commercial customers. there shop is open 7 days a week until 8pm and they have replacment vehicles waiting for you. no down time.