PDA

View Full Version : Wright Velke Mower Clutch Problem

dvblandscaping
05-01-2007, 08:48 PM
I have a Wright Velke 48" 2005 model, I believe it has the warner mag clutch. It has 80 hours on it, and I have taken good care of it.

This morning I started to notice a faint noise that almost sounded like a bad hydro pump of a bad idler bearing... But I took it to my dealer... He says the clutch bearings are shot.

Quotes me 360 for the part only. 415 including labor.

1. How the hell does a clutch break in 80 hours? I have been sucking up thatch with the mower (de thatching with another machine) and have been turning the blades on and off quite a bit, but still, I shouldnt have to worry about the clutch should I? Thats what its made for!

2. Is $360 way too expensive for a clutch bearing?

Overall, I jsut want to know if anyone has had clutch problems with any of the Wright mowers, especcially the Velke, and Id like to know how to go about complaining to Wright. I can't get the warranty becuase I am the second owner. I bought the machine with 60 hours.

Should I sell this puppy and buy something else, or do you think Ill start to have better luck the rest of this season?

khouse
05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Sorry about your clutch. I think the $360 was for a complete clutch. Have you looked at the clutch real close to see what's rattling? Do you think you can replace the clutch yourself? I think that clutch is about 225.00

dvblandscaping
05-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah I took a look at it. I probably could have replaced it... but I told them to go ahead and do it. I am pressed for time right now... I usually do all my own work, especcially the mechanical stuff. This is the first electric clutch Ive had though. Is 360 without labor standard markup for a product of that cost? Any experience with wright clutches at all? Do you think this problem will continue? I just dont see how a clutch could break after 80 hrs...

khouse
05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
There really is not a set percentage of parts mark ups. Usually a small part say a $3.00 item may be marked up 300%. But you can't get away with that on a $200.00 part. Really the bottom line is a shop MUST make a profit or they won't be there next year when you need them. I would say that the installed price is in the ball park. A clutch should last a lot longer than 80 hours. Must just be a fluke. I don't think it will be an on going problem though.

dvblandscaping
05-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks Khouse. Hopefully it wont happen again...

Anyone used the Velke or Stander and had this problem?