PDA

View Full Version : Low gear with Perma Green ride-on???

americanlawn
05-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Who uses the low gear when utilizing their PG ride-on???

Just curious if anyone does.

Reason: It takes longer than other methods. We actually cut the lines to the low speed nozzles, cuz they made no sense to us. This also removed the right angles (restriction of flow).

Just curious, and why would PG offer this???

Okay -- I've seen Scotts Lawn Care use ride-ons on 3000 sq.ft. lawns.
To me, this does not make much sense. Lots of granular mess to blow off + still having to spot spray the edges??? Takes a long time.

What's your oppinion?

indyturf
05-01-2007, 10:30 PM
the only time I use low gear is going down a hill! never for spreading or spraying. I doubt if PG could get a transmission with just one gear?

Runner
05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Once in a while I use it, and I always use it for loading onto the ramp. It is just easier on the transmission that way.

americanlawn
05-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Yes that's why I like hydrostaic trannys. No wonder why commercial lawn mowers sell 'em (exclusively). It's just coimmon sense. duh Too bad PG hasn't realized this???

Weird, but true. No matter what previous posters have implied saying a "constant speed" is a good thing.

They are banking on the fact that their battery does not shell out, and that their speed is constant. They are living in a "dream world".

Best case + herbicide coverage = one inch apart. duh

Then there's the edges.......curbs, etc.

Oh me oh my. Results matter in the customers' eyes -- especially when they call back for service calls due to weeds missed.

Jason Rose
05-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I must be missing somehting. I use low all the time on mine, Iv'e only used the high gear on a couple large properties (over 50K) everything else just has too many small areas and larger areas on the same lot to use the high gear over all of it. Too much of a pita to keep changing the rate each time.

I only have used it to spray on larger properties. Much easier to use a BP on small lawns or the tank sprayer and drag a hose.

Maybe with this next round (need to be doing that now) I will try high gear out a little more...

Runner
05-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Best case + herbicide coverage = one inch apart. duh
Oh me oh my. Results matter in the customers' eyes -- especially when they call back for service calls due to weeds missed.

Huh? You show me a PG that sprays leaving coverage one inch apart, and I'll show you a machine that is not setup right or not operating properly. You run mine on pavement, and I get full wetting coverage 9-11 ft. wide.

teeca
05-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Huh? You show me a PG that sprays leaving coverage one inch apart, and I'll show you a machine that is not setup right or not operating properly. You run mine on pavement, and I get full wetting coverage 9-11 ft. wide.

i'm with you, i get full coverage, and mine is stock, just bought the upgraded flojet from PG to handle the ester herbicides better. as far as low gear, loading and unloading, and a hill or two that i have to walk behind it.

profigala
05-02-2007, 03:35 PM
i'm with you, i get full coverage, and mine is stock, just bought the upgraded flojet from PG to handle the ester herbicides better. as far as low gear, loading and unloading, and a hill or two that i have to walk behind it.

Yep, same here, i dont have any problems. I only use low for loading.

philk17088
05-02-2007, 05:44 PM
I use low for trim spraying. It works well.

americanlawn
05-02-2007, 07:37 PM
We use low for loading and going down slopes too.
Also for spraying heavy patches of small-leafed weeds -- creeping Charlie too.

We now get better coverage (droplets are about 1/4 to 3/8 inches apart. Much better than before.

We're getting one PG Ultra back tomorrow from the repair shop...I hope they installed the motorcycle battery we gave them. We'll see.

Today, I talked to a competitor. His large size Z Spray (had 2 tanks on it)was stuck, so I asked him how they liked it. He said "it sucks". ??

Nathan Robinson
05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
what phil said is one of the reasons for low speed. same with runner. loading and trim. The other sprayers are for trimming. The low gear is also useful when you are spraying hard to kill weeds (such as wild violets). It allows you to spray more in areas. When going down a hill in slow speed perma-greens backfire. when you are spraying the (mediums) between the street and sidwalk the trim sprayers come in handy. Nathan

teeca
05-02-2007, 08:36 PM
if your getting a bad spray pattern, try replacing the nozzles, like everything else, they will ware out. their not that expensive, like $5 each.

lawnservice
05-03-2007, 07:11 PM
we have never had a PG spray properly
typically best we can do is get a 6 foot wide patern. So we're leaving narrow strips of turf untreated for weeds between rows.

We've gone with larger pumps, stripped off the low speed nozzels and lines long ago. Different spray tips. All the same results. We cant bring these machines (yes we have more than one and all operate the same) on a new customer with a really weedy lawn. We leave stripes....not from the fert but 1-1.5 foot stripes of weeds.

Remember the recall ? I think it was two seasons ago when a bunch of folks were on this site tellin of their woes with the PGs and Tom recalled a bunch of them. One of ours included. It came back actually running worst than when we shipped it to them! I was told they replaced the motor with a new one? Why??? Had no engine problems. Anyway all THEY REALLY DID WAS PAINT THE OLD MOTOR. THings a piece of crap.
Ultra with around 110 hours....make an offer...all sales final!!

sclawndr
05-03-2007, 07:58 PM
I must be missing somehting. I use low all the time on mine, Iv'e only used the high gear on a couple large properties (over 50K) everything else just has too many small areas and larger areas on the same lot to use the high gear over all of it. Too much of a pita to keep changing the rate each time.

I only have used it to spray on larger properties. Much easier to use a BP on small lawns or the tank sprayer and drag a hose.

Maybe with this next round (need to be doing that now) I will try high gear out a little more...

I'd bet quite a bit that many PG owners have never used low gear. The whole point of the machine is to go fast and the low gear is slower than a lesco spreader. Granted, you're not pushing but try high gear for a while and you'll never go back.

If you have an older PG, you're right about changing the mix ratio. I think the Ultras fixed this but I know the Magnums let you spray in low or high without changing the mix.

Jason Rose
05-03-2007, 10:56 PM
My problem with high gear is that I have at least one or two places on most every property that I have to hop off and walk behind for a little bit. Either low tree branches or to traverse ditches/slopes. It will not go up a hill, or turn uphill with me on it. In high gear I'd be jogging at half step trying to not kick the platform with my size 15's

meets1
05-03-2007, 11:21 PM
I never use low unless a hill, or a very tight corner place that I am to lazy to jump off and do by hand.

As far as spray pattern, I may overlap a bit, but on high - on dry pavement looking at 8-10ft usually. I never have had this problem. Broke a throttle cable yesterday in high gear and had to hit the kill switch or else it was the churches brick wall!