PDA

View Full Version : company picnics ?? + how often

americanlawn
05-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Since March, my guys (and girls) have been working their asses off.

Since we work weekends in spring & fall, it's tough on all.

Do you offer any any parties, etc to keep morale up?

If so, how often?

Grilling out, bringng in pizzas, Subway, etc.

Chistmas parties, cook outs, anything???

vegomatic40
05-02-2007, 07:34 AM
I do it 2-3 times/yr. A buddy of mine has a big competition quality custom grill on a trailer that he brings over and fires up. Did a whole hog on it in early April and it was a big hit. The party cost me less than $400 that was more than made up in new sales generated. Not so much for a moral booster as a employee appreciation day of sorts. Cool adult beverages were BYOB as those things can quickly get out of hand and potentially leave yourself open to future litigation if someone gets a little "overserved".

americanlawn
05-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Sounds good Vegomatic40. We grill for the gang only about 2 times a year. Not often enough.
We also buy season football tickets to Hawkeye games which several take advantage of.
This year, we bought season tickets to the Iowa Speedway (Nascar, etc). It was a huge hit---all tickets are spoken for, and it's only 30 minutes away.
I take some of my guys with me to car shows too. I show a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T convertible w/Hurst pistol grip 4 speed, #'s matching. We prefer shows with Hooter Girls, plenty of food, activities, and cold beer.

Nathan Robinson
05-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Take them to a lawn expo or something. They get a paid day and get the opportunity of learning some more about the industry. They also get to demo new machines making them appreciate the better things you have and you can get their overall opinion on new machines. Its cheap as well.

americanlawn
05-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks Nathan -- here in Iowa, Iowa State offers a "field day". It's at their 640 acre site. Has stuff for lawn guys, "goff" guys, park guys, etc.

Lunch + walking & seeing different stuff. I'm 30 years in the industry, so I seldom learn anything new. But it's a nice day off for my guys & gals.

Good point, and my guys enjoy test driving equipment. Plus some free stuff from venders.

Basically it's a day off work. A nice break.

yardmanlee
05-04-2007, 09:10 AM
plan on taking my guys to the expo this coming yr. also most fridays I get lunch been planing to have a little cook out or something like taking them to the lake but hard to get a day off here lately