PDA

View Full Version : charge to water lawns?

jeffex
08-08-2001, 04:09 PM
the drought is bad here I'm thinking of charging my customers to water their lawns water bills are cheap in balto. county Md only about $20 per 3 months. I guess they don't have time to water themselves ?

Micky
08-08-2001, 07:27 PM
When are you going to water? During the day? Do you have a water truck or will you just move the sprinkler around the lawn? Can't see how it can be done without a water truck at dawn.

cut4U
08-08-2001, 07:41 PM
i also dont understand how this will be done??could you please specify.

awm
08-08-2001, 07:59 PM
if i had to water their lawn in a way that took time ,id charge regular time and cost etc. id hit their irrigation switchif timer wasnt working properly for nothing on mow days

dhicks
08-08-2001, 09:31 PM
I have a few garden accounts that I maintain. Watering is billed at $35.75 per hour. While watering, I'm snipping and pulling weeds, etc. E-Z Money!!!!

http://www.go-emerald.com/images/davidpcl.gif

powerreel
08-08-2001, 10:28 PM
I run man. systems @ some commercial buildings, just turn 'em on now & then...

jeffex
08-09-2001, 08:21 PM
simple!!! customer provides hose and sprinkler you drive up turn it on and go to the next lawn. turn water on for 2hrs then double back and turn off for 2hrs and put away hose etc. repeat process for as many as you have keep a few cheap sprinklers on the truck and use another customers hose if you have to cover multiple hoses on some lawns. just return everything to rightful owner.. I'm going to open the door by saying "hey do you want me to come by and water your lawn for you!!" the worst they can say is no

jeffex
08-09-2001, 08:25 PM
they will think you spent hrs watering when all you do is turn on then off and put stuff away the sprinkler does the work 1 inch of watering a week is recomended

Micky
08-09-2001, 08:29 PM
During the day? If the suns out watering won't do much good in daytime hours, can even be detremental because of magnifying glass effect of water droplets.

guntruck
08-09-2001, 08:29 PM
Jeffex, i hear you brother the drought is startin to really kick here and no sings of relief!!! My accounts that are doing well are the ones with irrigation and the homeowners that actually care about there lawns, and even those look a little shabby. But the rest are the ones who i think deal with the drought as it comes and deal with the dormant grass while its here and enjoy it when it returns to normal health, i dont know of any that would pay for a watering service. Maybe i have cheap clients =).

:blob3:

jeffex
08-09-2001, 08:35 PM
i don't know if they will pay either but I wouldn't pay someone to cut my lawn and they do!!! all i can do is ask

guntruck
08-09-2001, 08:41 PM
Jeffex you got a good point i would even consider a lawn service so give it a shot who knows!!!

jeffex
08-09-2001, 08:44 PM
got nothing else to do even pressure washing is slow with everyone on vacation

gogetter
08-11-2001, 02:52 AM
Hey Jeff, any update on this idea yet? I had sorta half heartedly thought about this also. But I couldn't imagine folks going for it. I think they may actually like that the grass isn't growing because then they don't have to pay me to mow it!!

I think the ones that care about the way thier lawn looks are already out there watering it themselves or using an irrrigation system.

Your idea could fly though, especially for older folks or workaholics that don't have time.

As mentioned, you have to do it at an appropriate time of day (or should I say night). And I don't have a clue how ya'd go about charging for this.

But keep us posted. Good luck.

jeffex
08-11-2001, 07:04 AM
I still work a full time job [wife stays home takes care of son] so i do my lawns in the eves. and on day off. This weeked I'm going to start asking a few customers to get feedback on this!!

jeffex
08-11-2001, 07:07 AM
charge the same as cutting the lawn . it will take about 20 min to complete setting the hoses and then returning to put them away. that is about what it takes for us to cut if we get anyone to go for this we will be watering in the evening from 4-7

jeffex
08-11-2001, 07:12 AM
i think your right about them wanting to save the money though. Many poeple ony have thier lawn cut because they have to. the ones that i'm targeting are the elderly that take pride in thier homes but just can't do the work any more. even something as simple as watering in this heat is too much for them . today is the day for trying to sell the idea!!!

jeffex
08-11-2001, 06:10 PM
oh well ! it rained last night and most of today I quess its back to mowing

Craig Turf Management
08-11-2001, 06:54 PM
I don't have time to water my clients lawns. I spend a good deal of time trying to educate them on proper watering practices. For some of my clients without automatic sprinkler systems, I have either bought at cost or recommended they buy a timer that goes between the spiggot and the hose. The client turns on the water at a pre-determined time, and the water shuts off on it's on. These cost about 10.00 at the Home Depot. I do on occasion turn the water on when I leave, but never return to shut the water off again.
Get your clients on a watering schedule, so that they have a routine that they can adhere to.

Take care and drink plenty of water, Bill Craig:cool:

bobbygedd
08-11-2001, 07:42 PM
i thought of this idea, months ago and was gonna offer it next season, looks like u beat me to it jeffex, let us know how u make out.

Buttered Waffle
08-11-2001, 09:59 PM
The customers that want their lawns watered will water them themselves. The clients that really want their lawns in the best health year round will have irrigation systems. The ones that do not water at all are trying to save a few dollars. The main thing is to educate your customers. I send out watering instructions with invoices in July and August telling them to water right or don't water at all. We have mainly cool season grasses in Indiana. The instructions are to make sure you water ONCE a week when there is no rainfall to one inch of moisture. I go on to say to use water collectors and a ruler to get an idea of how long it takes to accomplish and inch of H2O. I have yet to have a buyer of my services ask me to water their lawn for them. If they did, I would inform them of the man hour ratings I get for the property and tell them that's exactly the same rate including travel time I would charge. After that, I believe that people would be motivated to do it themselves.
First post here. Hi all!

XOFMOT
08-11-2001, 10:05 PM
We all know darn well, that as soon as we present this "SERVICE" to our customers it's going to start raining, raining, raining!
But I do like the idea!