PDA

View Full Version : Using Center Strip vs. Side Strip

journeyray
05-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi,
I have a corner lot and have had sprinklers spraying over the sidewalk on my 105' side yard. Needless to say it didn't get the job done, so I am going to run a line under the sidewalk. This section is 105' x 4'. I am hesitant to use sidestrips along the street because it can get beat up by the snow plows in the winter and the last six inches of the 4' width slopes toward the street. I was wondering how well center strips work on a section such as this, or should I go with the side strips and, along the street, put the head 6" in or so?

Thanks

Remote Pigtails
05-02-2007, 12:47 AM
I prefer cs to sidestrips. I find that the irritrol cs do a better job than toro or rb cs. This is the only plastic irritrol nozzle I buy. Everything else I buy is RB.

journeyray
05-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Really, okay. I got the impression most prefer the side strips. Thanks.

Dirty Water
05-02-2007, 01:00 AM
I heavily prefer side strips triangulated.

But, if overspray is not an issue, and you group the heads fairly close, center strips will give adequate coverage.

journeyray
05-02-2007, 01:10 AM
If I were to triangulate with side strips, do I use end strips on each end? Can I put the heads 6 inches from the street?

Thanks

irrig8r
05-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Don't forget corner strips. I like them at the ends where sidewalk meets driveway or property line or whatever... Hunter makes them either left-handed or right-handed. Not sure if Rain Bird offers them or not.

poiuy qwerty
05-02-2007, 05:13 AM
MP Rotator makes a good side strip & end strip

Remote Pigtails
05-02-2007, 07:02 AM
MP Rotator makes a good side strip & end strip

I tried these. Maybe I got a bad batch but I found the watering very uneven and they have a tendency to spray behind the head. I find that more waste water and overspray occurs in the parkway than anywhere else on the system. I will agree that triangulated ss are a more proper design. I prefer to space cs head to head with es and let the parkway margins go a little dry if it gets really hot. Also makes for a a lot easier install. i used to use the rainjet cs for parkways but haven't seen those in a long time. I guess a better answer could be if you want to be satisfied with the coverage 95% of the time and want to minimize overspray or what i call behind spray go with cs. If you want satisfaction 100% of the time and don't mind a little overspray go with the ss.

Remote Pigtails
05-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Really, okay. I got the impression most prefer the side strips. Thanks.

You are correct on this. I will sacrifice a little coverage to save water.

andersa
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
journeyray,

I'm also from Oma with a big corner lot.

I have center strips ( Rainbird 15-series) and I'm not impressed. I have noted a couple of issues; the main problem is with wind, as my longest parkway runs east - west, the south wind tend to leave the strip closest to the street (i.e. south) dry. Another issue is that the spray pattern "forward" and "backward" for lack of better words, i.e. the pattern that covers 2' in each direction, has essentially no trajectory. Thus, when I let the grass grow a little taller in the hot summer months, the spray pattern gets stuck in the grass and doesn't make it all the way. Perhaps a 6" head would solve that...

Based on recommendations here I have started converting my strips to MP rotators and a triangle pattern. I'm done with the one zone so far; I have 8 more heads to move. So far so good. It run way quieter, as it uses only about 1/2 the GPM compared to the spray strips. There's quite a lot of overspray, but I'm not too concerned about that; after all the MP rotator strips are rated at about 5' wide compared to 4' for the RB 15-series and the wind will mess with the water no matter what.

You are right to be concerned about the snow plow. They took out a big chunk of my parkway a couple of winters ago and were only inches away from one of my center heads... I got compensated by the county's insurance company though. Since then I'm placing reflexes on poles next to the parkway during the winter and it has so far - knock knock - discouraged them from further infractions.

journeyray
05-02-2007, 10:45 AM
andersa,

where are you getting your MP Rotators? I was looking at converting the front/corner yard to MP Rotators. I'd say I'm leaning toward side strips and possibly MP Rotators - I could always go to them if I use Hunter side-strip and right and left corners for now.

andersa
05-02-2007, 11:04 AM
I got them from Island Sprinkler Supply. 13828 C Plz, sort of behind the AMC movie theater complex.

Yes, as long as you go with side strips you can always convert. Go with centers and the convertion involves digging, alot of digging :)

journeyray
05-02-2007, 11:27 AM
How is Island Sprinkler Supply with non-installers, do-it-yourselfers, and with price also?

andersa
05-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Prices are bad - $10 for an MP rotator head (I can't wait for Hunter takeover and more distributors). I also picked up a PGP head there as I had one stuck - $17.50, unbelievable.

But they are OK with selling to the public (heck with those prices...) and they are open on Saturday until 12 which is also great.

journeyray
05-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Ouch, but when you need a part, I guess. So you think that I should put the street side heads right next to the concrete curb?

andersa
05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
I think 4-6" from the curb is fine. If you have proper head to head coverage it shouldn't be a problem. One of the real experts around here will set me straight if I'm wrong :)

Remote Pigtails
05-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I think 4-6" from the curb is fine. If you have proper head to head coverage it shouldn't be a problem. One of the real experts around here will set me straight if I'm wrong :)

No, I'm pretty impressed with your analysis and advice. I only wished i could have got you to try the irritrol cs. It does a better job on the side to side. The wind would still be an issue. Parkways are tough. I've seen them done many ways and I've never seen the driveway curve issue dealt with without wasting water. If I could be king irrigator for a day I would ban all parkway watering because I see so much waste and their seems to be a lot more broken heads and pipe in that area.

Good advice though.

journeyray
05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Thank you all.

andersa
05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks Remote. I agree with you on the parkways.