PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Season

wallzwallz
08-08-2001, 04:08 PM
I know it's august,grass is fried but i'm thinking ahead to leaf cleanups,I've had a tailgate loader for 2 seasons, love it just a pain in the a@# to get on + off dump truck. I'm looking for ideas + proven methods of making a swing tailgate for dump. I would buy it but can only find the mount for pickup bumpers. I don't want to mount it on the trailer because i like to backup to gates of backyards.If you have pictures that would be great. I did a search but only found what type of leaf loaders,any + all help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance Mike Wall

:D

Eric ELM
08-08-2001, 04:20 PM
Here is a search on Loaders that might help you.

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=18163&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

lawnboy82
08-08-2001, 04:53 PM
a friend of mine has a leaf sucker for his dump truck. its a swing away deal. he just had to add a 2" hitch to the back of the truck, and then buy the loader. now he is set. i am not sure how well that works with the trailer there though.

wallzwallz
08-08-2001, 04:53 PM
thanks eric, those are the threads i looked at,a couple of different ways to mount but what i want is a gate on outside of existing tailgate that loader stays on for leaf season when dumping you pop the pin swing over to side of dump put in pin and dump. I have a general idea of what i want , i just figured somebody here had built one already + worked the bugs out.I have the metal stock + welder ready to go,if i don't start soon it'll be a winter project. What do you do for leaves?

Mike Wall:cool:

Runner
08-08-2001, 08:58 PM
It seems there would be SOME way to build one like a spare tire rack. Use a couple of pieces of round stock, about 3" i.d., and perhaps 3/8" thickness, each one maybe about 6 or 8 in. long, and weld them right to your steel dump body on the drivers side, spaced over top of one another. Use square tubing or round stock for your frame, and have a right angle on the drivers side that will allow the frame to reach around to your side tubes, sort of "conforming" to the rear corner of the box. This (the frame)could just drop down into the tubes and stay held with pins. On the passenger side of the back, devise a latch, that you could pull a pin and the unit would "break away" from the tail gate, and swing around to the drivers side. Now, it won't go flush, it'll have to stick out the side a bit when opened, but this can be held with a strap while dumping. Good luck with it!

John from OH
08-08-2001, 09:07 PM
This is a leaf loader we made from an old leaf blower. Its mounted on an old Meyers Snow Plow sector and sector mount. I've had the leaf loader for about 15 years and the swing mount for 7. Send me an e-mail if you have and questions.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=115367&a=9857739&p=32521976&f=0

Runner
08-08-2001, 09:34 PM
Now THAT is cool! That mount looks like it was just the ticket for what you needed at that time. (Isn't it great when things come together like that.) Where did you get the curved discharge chute for that, and does that provide pretty decent vacuum power with that size of impeller unit?

wallzwallz
08-08-2001, 10:02 PM
John that's exactly what i wanted , to get a look at mounts , i don't have any old plow frames but i'll make something work thanks

Runner what is that a little Babba Oreilly for your signature?:cool:

Anybody know where to get those mesh tarps?

thanks Mike Wall

LAWNGODFATHER
08-09-2001, 01:31 AM
John thats nice

I didn't have time so I bough a Giant Vac 6001 trailer model
But mine will never clog

LGF:blob1:

John from OH
08-09-2001, 07:22 AM
Runner, I had a local welding shop make the curved discharge chute. That one's only a 5hp with a 6" hose, loads the truck in about 15 minutes wet or dry. Suction is not a problem. The only time we get it plugged is when some of the hired hands try to suck up sticks.

CMerLand
08-09-2001, 08:57 PM
John

Thats a real sharp setup, and we may be looking to do something like that in future. My thoughts however went to looking into the swing away gates that are used for salt spreaders and then modifying that for the blower unit. This way I can get two uses out of the setup. Anyone done that???