PDA

View Full Version : gooseneck or reg. hitch??help please

cut4U
08-08-2001, 07:38 PM
hello, i am expanding my bus. for next season and was wondering if i would be at an advantage at having a gooseneck hitch trailor other then haveing a std. hitch. i will be trailoring 2 ztrs and 1 walk behind or 1 ransomes 723 front mower and 2 walk behinds...any info is helpful...thanks

Eric ELM
08-08-2001, 08:32 PM
Advantages of a Good neck trailer:

A Goose neck trailer puts the tongue weight on all 4 tires of the truck, compared to way behind the truck axle with a regular hitch. You can make sharper turns also.

Disadvantages of a Good neck trailer:

You can't put as much in the back of your truck, not a big deal normally.

cut4U
08-08-2001, 08:58 PM
is it anyway easyr on the truck(havn a gooseneck)?

Runner
08-08-2001, 09:19 PM
What kind of truck are you pulling these with? With what you described, you should have NO trouble fitting all your stuff on to a 16 or 18 ft. trailer. If this is the case, then I'd just go with a regular trailer. With a gooseneck, it's a bit more complicated to hook up, and I don't know how your laws are down there, but here in Michigan, to pull a gooseneck, you're required to have a Class A CDL, which means you take the written test, go to a third party tester to take a driving test, (a few hundred bucks) and then you have to have a physical to recieve your med slip. After all this, it's back to the Seceretary of State to pay your fee for your actual license. I think a ball and coupling work better.:rolleyes:

mdb landscaping
08-08-2001, 09:59 PM
sounds to me like a regular hitch would suit you fine. unless you plan on hauling bigger machinery in the future, stick with the standard hitch.

eskals
08-08-2001, 10:06 PM
I didn't know you had to have a class A CDL to tow a gooseneck in MI. There is an outfit near me that runs a crew cab F-350 dually with a gooseneck trailer with 4 bobcat ZTRs and 2 bobcat walkbehinds.

Goosenecks are great for heavy loads. Much more stable and the weight is distributed better.

Eric

Sammy
08-09-2001, 03:02 AM
No CDL if trailer is rated under 10,001 lbs.

1stclasslawns
08-09-2001, 08:21 AM
A gooseneck is easier on the tow truck, easier to back, easier to pull, easier to manuver you can put a 20 footer where you could only put a 16' bumper trailer. Yes it a little more difficult to hook up but it is a more secure hookup.

When I get a new one I'm getting a gooseneck if I can.

And I think the weight is under 26000lbs befor you need a class A CDL. The weight dosent change state to state because a CDL follows federal regulations, its like a federal drivers license.

What girpes me about the CDL is I had to have one to drive a 1 ton delivery van but Mr, Rich Dude who spends 50 hours a year behind a desk can get in his $500,000.00 R.V. thats on a semi chassie with out one for 2 weeks and on weekends. But thats another story.

Jim

SCAPEASAURUSREX
08-09-2001, 08:23 AM
I recently found a few reg hitches that are rated for 10,000lbs and up to 12,000lbs from draw tite and reese.. Just a little side info..

cp
08-09-2001, 10:32 AM
With all said unless your going to be hauling large tractors or skid steers I would stay with the standard trailer. You should keep in mind that not everyone has a fifth wheel setup so if your truck breaks down your trailer is down and if you decide to sell, well "Joe Blow" can not pull it..

GilbertJT
08-09-2001, 12:13 PM
naturalawn, the CDL law is pretty much the same from state to state but it can be changed by each state as long as it meets the minimum requirements of the federal law. In Michigan the law is actually more strict than the federal law. You do need a CDL A with any trailer GVWR more than 10,000lbs in Michigan. You are correct in the fact that the federal law requires a combination over 26,000lbs and trailer over 10,000 GVWR. Michigan doesn't care if the combination is over 26,000lbs GVWR. You would also need a medical examiners certificate and if you went over 100 air miles from your home terminal you would need to complete a log book for any vehicle or combination of vehicles GVWR over 10,000lbs per federal law. This means it applies to everyone. Many lco's don't realize the amount of laws that apply to them even in their pickup and regular ball hitched trailer.

eggy
08-09-2001, 01:18 PM
Sounds to me you need to buy another truck and 18 foot trailer and start another crew.......how many people do you have in one crew to justify hauling that much equipment with the one crew??? Just something to look at.....

cut4U
08-09-2001, 08:31 PM
keep the info coming please

cut4U
08-10-2001, 01:55 PM
anymore?

fivestarlawnken
08-12-2001, 01:57 AM
2 words pintle hitch:angel:

GilbertJT
08-13-2001, 08:57 AM
I would suggest either fifth wheel or pintle hook. They are the safest types of hitches available. I know many of the lco's in my area are going to fifth wheel hitches because they pull better and are easier to back and manuever. You are going to pay more for a fifth wheel hitch or pintle hook over a standard ball hitch. Hope this helps.

08-13-2001, 01:58 PM
Without getting into CDL regs (I'm from Canada so the rules up here are different again) here's some things to consider:

5'th wheel hitch: IMO best setup going, (look what the big trucks use) puts the load right over your truck's axle, very stable arrangement, a thief has to work a little harder to steal your trailer. Drawbacks? More $$$ upfront, ties up bed space in your truck, and if your truck is out of service for whatever reason it can be hard to find another one to pull your trailer.

Pintle hitch: Still a good arrangement (big truck example again, it's what the converter dolly on a "double" or "triple" arrrangement uses to hook to the trailer in front of it) from a strength point of view, also makes trailer a little harder to steal since the tow vehicle requires the proper hitch. Drawbacks? Still a rear mounted hitch, so you won't be able to carry any more weight than the ball setup. Also they can be a little noisier than a ball/5'th wheel since the ring has to be a loose fit in the hitch to allow for movement.

Unless you're planning on gettin' a b-i-g trailer, a ball hitch may serve your purposes just as well as a 5'th wheel.