PDA

View Full Version : Billy Goat and Little Wonder Blowers

joed
08-08-2001, 07:42 PM
Does anyone have any experience using Billy Goat push mowers? I am interested in acquiring either the residential model (5 hp Honda OHC engine) or the 8 hp commercial unit. I was most impressed with the commercial unit after seeing a video on them at www.billygoat.com. The ability to manipulate the air exhuast via a lever sounds very useful. How do they compare to Little Wonder which is very popular here in Canada.

Evan528
08-08-2001, 08:01 PM
Ive used both and own a little wander 8hp briggs! No other push blower has the power of a little wander due to there unique fan design! My 8hp little wander is equivenlant to a 11hp (or12?) brand x blower..... but much lighter!

Micky
08-08-2001, 08:30 PM
Joe,
A backpack is much more effective than a push blower unless you're doing large res accounts or commercial accounts.

lawnboy82
08-08-2001, 08:54 PM
GET THE 9 HP HONDA LITTLE WONDER! or the 13 hp honda little wonder. great machines.

Evan528
08-08-2001, 08:55 PM
Micky, you obviously dont have the volume of leaves that we have in PA!!! I use my back packs to blow out the beds where the push blower cant get but use the push blower for the grass areas!!!! On my lawns with the push blower.... you blow 20 ft into the lawn and you got a moutain of leaves as wide as the yard and 4 ft high! certainly more than what a back pack blower can handle!

Micky
08-08-2001, 09:13 PM
Evan528,
"You have a mountain of leaves as wide as the yard and 4 FEET HIGH."
That's alotta leaves. Is that on a weekly contract job or a one shot deal? We have tons of leaves here & 2 guys with backpacks can clean-up a small res real fast on a weekly deal. We use a push on some larger accounts & the commercials.

Runner
08-08-2001, 09:30 PM
Go with the Little Wonder. You can't go wrong. I've done the side by side tests with them with bottles we set up out in the parking lot. The Little wonder has both, more velocity and more volume than the Billy Goat with the equivelant motor. Don't go with anything under the 8 hp level, as you will be disappointed. Also, I don't think I'd go over the nine because if you've ever ran one of these for any amount of time, you'll know that weight is a large factor in operating fatigue. I felt one of the bigger engines at the dealership, and I couldn't even iMAGine running one of these for any amount of time, especialy if there is hills or slopes. What I have done, is purchased the "blower buggy" by JRCO and run it on my Lazer. This thing is FANTASTIC! Absolutely no work hardly whatsoever. It's all at my fingertip controls.:D

LJ lawn
08-08-2001, 10:54 PM
lesco has a hydro drive blower. looks pretty impressive. no problems going up hills with this beast. hell, you can even put a veky wheel behind it and ride.

John DiMartino
08-08-2001, 11:40 PM
I tried the Billy goat,Lesco,and little wonder.I feel the 8hp Billy goat is better balanced than the 8 hp little wonder,but it would take an 11Hp Billy to match the 8hpLittle wonder HO's power.I have 3 little wonders now,the 13Hp HO is unbelievably strong.I love the 8 HO too.I have an older 5 briggs,it runs great,but after using the 13-it only gets used as a backup or when we have extra help.

Mark
08-08-2001, 11:54 PM
I carry the Billygoat chip vac with the 5hp Honda,ive had it for many yrs and its always on my trailer. The vac comes in very handy when cleaning large patios, decks and i always use it alot on the curbs. I can't stand LCO leaving the grass on the street for the rain to clog the drains. Its also very handy to chip up all the sticks and twigs the wind leaves behind,it will take a 2" branch and trun it into mulch. But i don't use it much for leaf clean-up the backpacks and tarps handel that. Marks Mowing Service

joed
08-09-2001, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys for all your advice. It seems like Little Wonder is the way to go. Few more questions.
1. Why is Little Wonder more powerful than Billy Goat when both have equivalent motors?
2. Is 5 or 8 h.p. needed?
3. Can you direct the airflow to the front and side on Little Wonders like you can do on the Billy Goats?
Thanks

Eric ELM
08-09-2001, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Evan528
Ive used both and own a little wander 8hp briggs! No other push blower has the power of a little wander due to there unique fan design! My 8hp little wonder is equivenlant to a 11hp (or12?) brand x blower..... but much lighter!

joed, due to there unique fan design! This would be the answer to your question of 1. Why is Little Wonder more powerful than Billy Goat when both have equivalent motors?

Runner
08-09-2001, 12:05 PM
That one may have "blew" right by him!:D I know,....baaad!:rolleyes:

growingreen
08-09-2001, 09:45 PM
You can adjust the exhaust to the front on the LW as you can on the BG.
The housing design is the big difference in air flow with the same engine.
The one advantage that a BG will have over the LW is lighter weight and ease of starting. If you decide on a big LW consider the caster wheel option, makes it alot easier to get around, especially if your pushing it on grass for along time.
The LW has steel impellers and BG has a nylon glass impeller and when you pull to start it you can feel the difference.
I've used both and have a 8hp LW and 10 hp BG that I got last year with the new exhaust nozzle. Power of air flow is pretty close but LW has the edge. The one nice thing about the BG is that you can walk down a parking lot or side walk with it throttled up and the exhaust nozzle pointing up and don't have to worry about blowing stuff on cars etc.

Tony
08-10-2001, 09:31 PM
Hi, I sell both Little Wonder and Billy Goat. I have A customer who was using Billy Goat blowers and was intrigued when he seen the big housing on the Little Wonder so he traded. He came back in about two months to our store and traded back for a new Billy Goat. This customer uses push blowers on a chain of gas stores. Buy the 10 hp Billy Goat unless your dealer has some 8 HP blowers left. Here in North Carolina they're all gone. The Billy Goat blower weighs at least 25 lbs lighter = easier to push.

jeffyr
08-11-2001, 11:57 AM
I have a Little Wonder HO and love it. I have never used the Billy Goat so I can't compair, but the Little Wonder HO against the regular Little Wonder is like night and day. No question.

jeffyr

wesley daniel
08-11-2001, 12:29 PM
On large lawns i use a blower to blow around beds, trees ect. then use a 52" lawn sweeper and put roll plastic in the bin whan the bin gets full pull it out and put another in. use the leaves as compost.