PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest Equipment Purchases You've Made.

Micky
08-08-2001, 07:44 PM
Since I don't want to slam too many manufacurers won't go into extensive details why these were REALLY DUMB PURCHASES. I include how long I used them for at the end of each item.

1) Troy-Bilt 33" mower-- (not built for hard comm. use)-2 weeks

2)Troy-Bilt 5hp Shredder Vac-- (WB with a bag 10* faster vac couldn't shred a pencil)-5 lawns

3)Sutech Stealth--Still not sure what this clunker was built for.-3 days

4)Echo curved shaft trimmer--Discovered Echo straight shaft about a month later.-1 month

5)Handheld Blower--Discovered backpack second year in biz.-1 year

6)Echo HCR-1500 hedge clipper--Discovered Echo HC2410 a few years later.-3 years

7)Toro 21" with 6.5 Briggs--The 2 cycle is so much better.-6 months

All these machines are either collecting dust or sold. Coulda saved a fortune had I found Lawnsite 7 years ago.

Twotoros
08-08-2001, 07:53 PM
Only one:

Sutech stealth - 1 hour - sold at 300$ loss

awm
08-08-2001, 07:54 PM
a green and yellow mower that was suppose to mean i had arrived.good thing is it had a good resale value

Grapevine
08-08-2001, 09:23 PM
Echo Stick Edger. Tried it and really intended to use it, but I just didn't like it. I just bought the Tanaka TPH-270 articulating hedge trimmer from Alamia.com, hope I like it. My dealer had the Echo Hca 2400 for some ridiculous price and decided to see if I could do better online, so we'll see. I'm all for staying with the same dealer cause he'll fix you quick in a jam, but I get a little tired of getting bent over the chair and having him pick my pocket.

Scag48
08-08-2001, 09:24 PM
Hmmm, when I bought my Homelite 3 years ago and realized I would need something better down the road. Actually, the thing still runs and trims and edges all my lawns every week for 3 years, but I wish I had a Stihl :cool:

65hoss
08-08-2001, 09:26 PM
36" Honda tru-gear. Cut good, but the controls were terrible. Nobody wanted to use it. It would wear you out. 4 months I sold it.

Encore mower. Spindles suck, along with anything else that can break. Still have it, makes a good w/b bushhog.

Every bagger for a w/b I ever bought.

lawnboy82
08-08-2001, 09:36 PM
i think that most of us, when we are starting out buy stuff that we think we will need. then later on we find out that a more expensive machine would have worked much better. we realize that starting with commercial machines is the best idea, and that using homeowners machines for commercial work is a waste of time and money. i remember some stuff that i bought that was dumb. i remember when i was about 8 or 9 years old i purchased a walk behind reel mower. the kind that you power yourself. figured i could cut grass with it. yeah right. well i junked it a couple weeks back.

dhicks
08-08-2001, 09:37 PM
No laughing... But I bought a Poulan Chain Saw 13". Junk-Junk-Junk. I did get a Shindawa as a replacement and man is that Smoooooooth as compared to the Poulan.:blob4:

baldbeefman
08-08-2001, 09:48 PM
33" Snapper Z-Rider, used maybe 3 times total, before I put it up for sale. Three months later someone finally stole it (I hope the burgler doesn't return it):angel: .

Keith
08-08-2001, 10:00 PM
WeedEater Blower-Not Long, cant remember it was 1985.

Weedeater Trimmer - I believe this was the one that lasted about 5 minutes before it blew up.

Echo single side HT- Bent the blades within 30 minutes

Sachs-Dolmar 21" mower - used it for maybe 4 hours total, couldn't even find blades for it. The worst part my best dealer sold me this POS. I lost a lot of respect for him for that.

Stihl 020 Super Chain Saw used - Once again from the above dealer. Supposed to be a low hour machine. Within hours it needed major repairs and after fixed lasted 5 minutes.

Toro 21" Commercial- The first two were excellent this was a lemon. I should have bought a 36" the day I spent $950 on this piece.

GreenMachine curved shaft trimmer- once again this was in the early days and it never ran right.

Premo Services
08-08-2001, 10:03 PM
:o
When I started in business, I thought the comerecial equiptment was too high, so I went to home cheapo and bought
1. A roybi trimmer(a real backbreaker), lasted 2 months, then bought a echo.
2. A homelite backpack blower, I used it all spring, and summer, but knew that I would have to get a comm. blower before leaves started to fall.:o

MATTHEW
08-08-2001, 10:08 PM
I bought a Snapper 21" w/ninja blades. Did mulch things nicely.
BUT,that piece of crap Tecunseh engine rattled itself apart 3X in 2 years.Internally it is in great shape, but you can't keep the recoil on,and the stupid oil stick pops out of its case every other lawn and gushes oil all over the place. It is in the shop with 2" of dust on it. $500.00 WHAT A WASTE!!!:angry:

snow
08-08-2001, 10:17 PM
my first mower i purchased- a toro 21" 4.5hp mulcher mower. it clogs, the cut has always stunk and the handel is too low. the grass get clogged, and sucks in damp grass. I wish i had sold it at a garage sale 2 years ago when i coulda gotten decent $$. what else- the deck is rusting bad, doesn't have enough power.

bryan

John DiMartino
08-08-2001, 11:53 PM
Only one,but it's a big one 2000 XW2500 Dixie Chopper, this thing cuts uneven,came with a warped deck,kills your back from the tall seat height bucking motion,clogs the deck unless you keep Mow-eze on it constantly.It also cost a small fortune,and I still have 20 months to pay on it.Dixie's customer service is non-existant,all paperwork is outdated.I would buy an Exmark,or Hustler if I could do it over,they have great customer service.and a great product

edward hedrick
08-08-2001, 11:58 PM
I was lucky with Troybilt chipper vac I returned it for credit and bought an 8 hp Troybilt Snow Blower. Still using it.
The Other was a JD 21 " kept breaking axle bolts.

crazygator
08-09-2001, 12:00 AM
Anything with crapsman, I mean craftsman and thinking it could stand up to demands or commercial lawn care!

dhicks
08-09-2001, 12:09 AM
Hey John Di' . Sorry to hear of your misfortune with D.C. That's one of the reasons my Toro dealer dropped D.C. after 20 plus years. With the price of a D.C. one would believe that D.C. would be more responsive to the professional LCO. Oh well... Go Hustler!!!!

Lawn DOG
08-09-2001, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by John DiMartino
Only one,but it's a big one 2000 XW2500 Dixie Chopper, this thing cuts uneven,came with a warped deck,kills your back from the tall seat height bucking motion,clogs the deck unless you keep Mow-eze on it constantly.It also cost a small fortune,and I still have 20 months to pay on it.Dixie's customer service is non-existant,all paperwork is outdated.I would buy an Exmark,or Hustler if I could do it over,they have great customer service.and a great product

Hey John,
I think I got you beat. I purchased a 2001 XF2500 Dixie Chopper. I put 5 hours on it and I'm selling it to a competitor. Was not impressed. Maybe next time I will demo something before buying. What an expensive lesson.:cry:

Mark
08-09-2001, 12:28 AM
Well i really can't complain about the way my mower cuts or the 25hp Kohler its been a good one. But it was the stupidest purchase ive made but it was my fault. The 2000 is a 99 with a 98 engine, purchased last June. At that time come Sept. the 2001s are out, so i guess you could call me a big dummy for not checking the serial numbers. And the new decks are really beefed up. Oh buy the way don't throw away them curved shaft trimmers i use them strickly for edging i was taught buy a old cutter who still today is cutting part time,there hard to get used to but onece youve mastered it so long stick=edger. Marks Mowing Service

Hoosier Mower
08-09-2001, 12:42 AM
By far and away a Snapper ZTR!!!

Mike (MLC)
08-09-2001, 12:42 AM
I only have one. A craftman hedge trimmer. Was my 1st hedge trimmer. Was ok at 1st for 1 or 2 hedges, but then landed an apartments complex full of hedges. Was no match for the hedges. Finally, threw the craftsman in the shop and bought myself a couple of stihl hedge trimmer's. They cut through those hedges like a hot knife through butter. :)

LAWNGODFATHER
08-09-2001, 12:47 AM
wait i can beat you all in dollars lost

3 - Farris DD 52" w/ kaw single cyclinder. Junk no power always in the shop if one thing broke it broke on the next 2 with in a day

Ransome Bobcat ZT200 POS One of the first ones made. Bought in OCT. worked great till MAY whole bunch of stuff broke

Then like an IDIOT I bought 2 more they were ok till we got over 500hrs on them then all 3 had major problems. Once at the same time all 3 hydros went out and on the same day. thank GOD under warrenty $7000 for all

Stick edger not going to say brand. Nothing wrong with it but collects dust used for only 1 1/2 minutes

Tow sprayer used on 1 place 1 time never used again

Parker truck loader leaf vac clogged up every minute sold for more than I paid for it new

Bagger for a 36" W/B used 5 minutes fills to fast

Blower racks to hard to get blowers on and off

Tow spreader first time I used on a hill and it rolled over never used again

Groetech salt speader used 1 season cloggs to easy

Snow blower never used once to heavy to pick up and put in truck alone and won't fit with salt in truck

I guess my "think before you buy" term still stands!

If you want me to keep you reading for an hour or so I have more

LGF:blob1:

crazygator
08-09-2001, 12:51 AM
I think you could have saved some typing time by just saying everything you have purchased!.....hahaha just kidding!

bubble boy
08-09-2001, 12:57 AM
does a navy blue 1500 Ram count?

LAWNGODFATHER
08-09-2001, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by crazygator
I think you could have saved some typing time by just saying everything you have purchased!.....hahaha just kidding!

NO I just bought EXMARK not a joke simply the best

Have not had any problems and would recomend to every one

Been in this BIZ a long time and bought a lot of Junk

crazygater at least none of what I bought had the word "crapsmen" in it JK HEE HEE

LAWNGODFATHER
08-09-2001, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by bubble boy
does a navy blue 1500 Ram count?

Yes it does you want mine

Indiana
08-09-2001, 08:02 AM
Got a big mowing contract beginning of 2000 and needed a second machine. So I got real cheap.........

I bought a Snapper rear engine hydrostatic with a 38" deck.

Piece of junk, threw the belt off each time you disengaged the deck. EVERY TIME.

Traded it back to the dealer for a commercial walk behind.

Bought a curve shaft ECHO trimmer. JUNK. A short helper of mine said she couldn't run a straight shaft. Kept it a couple of months and she said she could run a straight shaft.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
08-09-2001, 08:13 AM
I did the same thing as mow money !

Thought it was too expensive to buy the good commercial equip at first.. So I too went to the depot and got:

The Infamous Homelite backpack blower and it only lasted me 2 or 3 cleanup s then into the garbadge it went and along came a Redmax EB431 which I still have now 6 years later..

And of course the Ryobi split shaft trimmer with the stick edger attachment that would rotate when you used it... That lasted a wee bit longer about a month or so .. then I got an Echo srm2100 which only lasted me a season.. Now I only use the Red max..

My dumbest purchase yet is an F150 with 250,000 miles on it , every time I start it it cost me $200. to start it agiain.. Without moving from the driveway...

awm
08-09-2001, 09:01 AM
i bought one of these mass produced homelite backpacs.
took it home for an hr,an returned it . i then told home depo rep that it would make them more disatisfied customers than any thing else. made like a toy blower.you can pretend you have a blower like grownups.:D :)
also consideration that we are all on a learning curve ,as far as proper operation of equipment ,probably ought to be considered.
some of it is junk though.

AltaLawnCare
08-09-2001, 09:07 AM
Dodge 1500 w/ 318 - Drunk Gas, No Power, Bounced all over the raod. Kept it a year, and traded for 2500 Diesel - lost a lot of money.
I had the chance to bid on a 97 and 98 Toro gear drive walk behind, owned by a business (excellent condition). But no, I waited to buy a new '01 fashioned after exmark. I've added weight and did some modifications (when finished, I'll post picts) and it handles much better now, and you can actually mow in 5th gear! - and turn without sliding the inside tire for 5 feet!

AltaLawnCare
08-09-2001, 10:22 AM
Almost forgot the two winners:
Crapsman rechargable, yes rechargable hedge trimmer,..
and probably thw worst, a Swisher Trail mower tow behind.:blob2:

trimmasters
08-09-2001, 03:34 PM
Lets see, Where to start

1993 Gmc 3500 HD dump.
Both fule pumps in the same month.

Clip.
Crashes all the time, Not flexable, tech support cost is crazy. can't wait to get Real Green installed.

WILSON BROS.
08-09-2001, 05:13 PM
Stihl 029 farm boss chainsaw one of these day I'm going to take a hammer and break it in very small unrecognizable peices then I will buy a real chainsaw not a pretend one. I like most stihl products just not this saw.

Double D
08-09-2001, 05:27 PM
33" Crafstman widecut mower. The blades will actually STOP, yes I said stop, if the grass is more than about 5 days of growth. I also bought the extended warr. from Sears. I take it back, and they keep it for two weeks, and it still will not cut grass. Does anyone think that I can get Sears to buy this mower back?

Lawn Dog2001
08-09-2001, 06:37 PM
Double D,

I dont know if Sears will take it back, but I think I can help you. I own a Troy bilt 33in wide cut. It is the same exact machine, only the TB has a bigger B&S engine. I had this problem breifly on mine. You need to adjust the tension on your blade drive belt adjuster. It is directly under the hood, and is connected to the end of your idler rod. You will find a nut with a rather large spring behind it. Tighten it as needed to adjust the blade belt tension. This will take care of the problem. Your manual has a section on this, and gives you step by step diretions on how to do this.

I do know that Sears has a 30 day money back return gurantee on anything it sells in the store. If you have had it less than 30 days bring it back, and I bet they will refund your money. If you have had it longer you are probably stuck.

Hope this helps.

Albemarle Lawn
08-09-2001, 06:46 PM
I was dumb enough to buy 2 sears curb edgers.

After spending more time in the shop than the job, they did buy them back, about $450.00.

It took a lot of haggling but you just have to ask for the store manager and act like you are nuts, like you might come find out where he lives if he doesn't buy the junk back!

Good luck!

KB

Lawn Dog2001
08-09-2001, 06:54 PM
I was the king of dumb purchases when I first started out. Lets see.....

First year in business(1993)
2 Lawn Boy 4.5hp silver series mowers.(If there was a worse mower ever made I have yet to find it.) each lasted about 1 month

2nd year
Toro 5.0hp Briggs. Close second for worst mower ever. Lasted about 1 month.

1 Homelite trimmer and blower. Both lasted less than one year.

1 homelite Hedge trimmer. Blew up the third time I used them.

Then I woke up and started using all commercial equipment. but yet I still make mistakes.

Just last year, we were installing a lawn, about a half acre. I wanted a big walk behind spreader to use for seeding. So like a moron I went to Home Depot and bought a Precision Pro spreader for $100. This thing couldnt spread a disease. It wont spread fert, it wont spread seed. And even when it dose spread it would only come out of one side or the other. You would think by now I would have realized you get what you pay for.

eggy
08-09-2001, 07:34 PM
Scag 36 inch walk behind.....its a nice good running and cutting unit, however with the 48 and 42 inch ztr a walk behind is useless for me......

powerreel
08-09-2001, 08:20 PM
Wil-Gro backpack sprayers- all had leaky wands.
Snapper Power Plug- doesn't pull more than 1/4"
Chapin backpack sprayers- no parts
Gator 4x2 don't use, used for 3 years on large estate owner died don't use any longer can't make street legal but is sorta fun for camping
1986 Nissan P/U- died and had blower stolen from it and seed and fert and the radio
Crapsmen snowthrower- it doesn't snow in Seattle and when it does it's the kinda snow it won't throw it's wet snow so it clogs

wallzwallz
08-09-2001, 08:52 PM
A John Deere 48" wb, the ones with the yellow swivel deck,was a nice cutting machine,but the transmission was some jd experiment gone bad ,advertised as hydralic but was a wet clutch, when clutches go $ 900 for a clutch pack or $1600 for tranny. sitting in pieces still

LAWNGODFATHER
08-09-2001, 10:01 PM
OK time to add more

Cushman 807 front line w/ grass caddy some res. guy loves it now

Encore Walk Behinds 2- 60" 1-48" decks crack and break spindels suck once thay don't go strait any more never will again

Lesco 48"and 52" hydro's beats you to death

Single wheeled velke's

Jungle wheels they wear out fast

Billy Goat push blower hard to push or pull Red Max EB7000 kill it

Yazoo 60" traded for the Cushman

crazygator
08-09-2001, 10:23 PM
Ok I'll add also. Worst for me was my first wife! Second wife was my absolute best!

yardboyltd
08-09-2001, 10:26 PM
So LGF, got some equipment for sale? LOL

Esby
08-09-2001, 10:33 PM
21" Snapper mower....it gave the worst cut ever..used for 3 days and had to sell it outright.
A used stihl trimmer....curved shaft. It would only start if it had been sitting in the shade. Dont ask, because I dont know. Recoil broke three times....I finally bought an Echo.

Dave
08-09-2001, 10:44 PM
lawngodfather is there anything sold that you have not broken???
Im sure that all this equipment can't be that bad ??could it be operator failure??or is the area you live in rough terrain

Mowingman
08-09-2001, 11:55 PM
I bought a JD M665 ZTR without doing a demo. BIG mistake! Worst ZTR I have ever owned or operated. After spending $8500.00 I spent 1.5 mowing seasons trying to make it work. Gave up on it this July and traded it in on a Toro Z master. Learned a $4500.00 lesson on that machine.:mad:

LAWNGODFATHER
08-10-2001, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Dave
lawngodfather is there anything sold that you have not broken???
Im sure that all this equipment can't be that bad ??could it be operator failure??or is the area you live in rough terrain

Dave I just found EXMARK
enough said

awm
08-10-2001, 09:25 AM
comment ,this is getting to be a very infomative post .
keepum coming.

plow kid
08-10-2001, 02:08 PM
My worst purchases; ( in no peticular order)

Goldstar 5' x 10' tilt trailer A frame broke off the front and sent 2 tons of limestone screenings careening acrost a 4 lane highway, nobody hurt:angel: thank god!

Goodyear Wrangler tires suck!!! no traction!! they will break loose in 2nd if I punch the gas.

I'll think of more

Charles
08-10-2001, 05:29 PM
My first leaf season I bought that stupid troy built chipper vac leaf *&^%$# peice of junk too. 1000 dollars down the drain. And that wasnt even the self propelled one. You couldnt even push the peice of S$%^ when it got full of leaves and your right it be faster to whittle limbs with a knife than with the chipper. And forget about vacing anything on uneven ground

John DiMartino
08-10-2001, 08:29 PM
I've got a few more too,Solo 457 2 gallon sprayer,I bought 2 new,both leaked,and wouldnt hold pressure,brand new,supposedly the commercial models.15 gallonn tow behind sprayer,a North Star,from Northern tool and equipment,the pump leaked from day one,the tank drain was poorly designed,and leaked constantly.You cant use,since it leaks out about a pint a minute of whatever is in there.Smapper commercial trimmers,I bought 2 in 1991 for the golf course, these things are heavy,and always broken down,no power at all for a 27cc engine.

jnjnlc
08-10-2001, 10:49 PM
Don't know if this is the dumbest but the last trimmer I bought. I think it is a lemon. Husqvarna 325 L-X. Good trimmers but this one is a turkey. I have only had it for 40 days and it has been in the shop twice. I may as for a new one if it keeps this up.

danlawnser
08-10-2001, 11:12 PM
Those piece of junk hedge trimmers made by polan. It is a Weedeater brand and the teeth on the thing are too small. That is about it. I have had alright luck so far.

little green guy
08-11-2001, 12:20 AM
Meyer snow plow :angry:

plow kid
08-11-2001, 01:56 AM
Buy a Meyers, Buy the best! Plow the sidewalk and shovel the rest!

gogetter
08-11-2001, 02:20 AM
Mchulloch (sp?) handheld blower/vac. I bought this as new on e-Bay. It was going to just be a back up piece to my Shindaiwa. Plus I thought I could have some use for the vac feature. Well, it just wouldn't stay running. Take your finger off the throttle, stall !!.

After some bickering with the seller, they took it back minus shipping.

But that's ok, cause I'm very happy with my Poulan Pro backpack blower that I got to replace it. It's now my primary blower and the Shin handheld is a back up.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2001, 04:03 AM
Here's some more

Peco Vac for a Dixie Chopper as soon as you get in some leaves the chute clogs clogs and stops sucking and keeps falling of (tried to fab and nothing seemed to work we just used it with 18' of suction hose to get leaves out of fenced areas and pick up piles to move to curb side vac. Nothing wrong with the Peco just the chute.

And the fact that a Freightliner truck got mad at it and decided to run over it (the DC)

5hp Briggs engines (for the Peco Vac's) there is nothing commercial about them

vipermanz
08-11-2001, 04:04 AM
do you actually own anything anymore lgf?

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2001, 03:25 PM
Found EXMARK

When you put 1300+ hours on a machine in a year and it can't handle it do you think it should still be considered commercial or heavy duty.
It just shows that the equipment I had bought can not endure the abuse of employee's. But I try not to let them abuse the mowers and we do mow some ruff terrain but not ruff enough to crack mower frames and decks. And most of what broke seemed to be mechanical and not from abuse. I would just have to say poor designing. and if you don't belive me why hasn't my EXMARKS broken down yet. GEEEEEE I DON"T KNOW let me guess ONE TOUGH MACHINE.

When I go to the dealers and I see 50+ of their brand mowers out there for repair and then go to an Exmark dealer and see 4 or 5 Exmarks maby that says enough

Just look at the numbers. How many on this site are disappointed with Exmark not to many. yes manufactures do make lemons some times but they always seemed to find their way to me. NOT ANY MORE

I will recomend EXMARK to every one. But then again they are the competion go buy a brand X mower you wont be disapointed

Albemarle Lawn
08-11-2001, 04:19 PM
The blond.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2001, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Albemarle Lawn
The blond.

The what?

Guido
08-11-2001, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER

The what?

Probobly talking about his wife or his girlfriend! ;)

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2001, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by guido

Probobly talking about his wife or his girlfriend! ;)

Must be the bleach getting to his brain

lgf:angel:

Nathan
08-11-2001, 06:10 PM
Just so all of you exmark lovers don't think the company is infallable, we did have a pretty bad quality control problem with our new Turf Tracer. The deck came with blade tips offset by about a quarter inch. It obviously mowed horribly. When we took it back we were accused of hitting rocks and then of improper assembly. Finally after a lot of bitching the service manager talked with an exmark rep. Who told him that the problem is actually not very uncommon. What they do is shim the spindles after the decks are welded so the spindles sit square in the deck. This one somehow slipped past inspection.
Seems pretty cheesy to me.

steve
08-12-2001, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Micky
Since I don't want to slam too many manufacurers won't go into extensive details why these were REALLY DUMB PURCHASES. I include how long I used them for at the end of each item.

3)Sutech Stealth--Still not sure what this clunker was built for.-3 days

All these machines are either collecting dust or sold. Coulda saved a fortune had I found Lawnsite 7 years ago.

Mickey

How did you try to steer your stealth???

toroboy
08-12-2001, 12:36 AM
i am so cheap i bought a homelite hand held blower for 80 bucks a month later the tube kept falling off , then the blower could hardly blow grass off of a side walk , so i had to go back and forth and back and forth. then the next cheap and stupid idea was ot get a homelite backpack blower i thought is was going to be better than the hand held blower , and it was its just THAT THE ENGINE WAS CRAPY JUST LIKE THE HAND HELD ONE, BUT HEY , THE TUBE DID NOT FALL OFF I GUESS THATS PROGRESS FOR HOMELITE EQUIPMENT. guess i learned my lesson the hard way , next blower a get is going to be a sthil backpack blower. doN'T what i did just go all out and buy commerial equipment it might take u a lttile while to pay off but its well worth it. Then u dont have to be like hey i only had to go over everything twice.

GO COMMERCIAL EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!

dlandscaping
09-22-2001, 12:10 AM
since im fairly new to landscaping and dont have much money i would say my worst purchases are
1. brand new lesco 48 -$2800 cant cut anything and i cant sell it (used 20.7 hrs)
2. 6 y 12' $950 trailer fills up to fast
3. echo edger $100 for the attachment- used 2 times stil have yet to replace edger blade
4. kawaski timmer $300 thing wont start without pullin it at least 15 times its goin to the dealer tomorow
5. sears push blower $400 couldnt use on half uneven properties still sitting in yard bought billygoat
6. all sears machines including chainsaw cant cut a twig, trimmer will not cut grass numerous mowers (ive had over 100 sears mowers) not 1 would actually cut grass, sears snowblower the gear is so slow belt was changed and tightened and 1st gear is equal in speed to 6th go figure

these are my dumbest purchases and im only 15 so there will b many more

Davis TLC
09-22-2001, 12:24 AM
1. Rich WR2061 convertible mower. Drive belt problems, cracked framed. No dealer support, due to their double dealing the few dealers they had here.
2. Weedeater brand trimmer, handheld blower, hedge trimmer.
3. 1st wife.

Loosestrife
09-22-2001, 06:58 AM
MTD 8hp wheeled blower. I figured that since it was just a frame, impeller, and B&S engine, MTD could not mess it up too much. The handle/wheel geometry is all off, and impossible to push on anythhing other than a paved surface.

Guido
09-22-2001, 07:38 AM
That I actually regret was a push behind lawn vacuum. I used it once in a while on walkways and parking lots, but it wasn't what I expected at all.

Besides that, I did build a dump truck out of an old beat up ford 1 ton. There was something about the truck I liked and had to restore it, and there was something about my bank account that the truck liked too!! :)

I learned a good lesson with the truck though, you definetly have to THOUROGHLY weigh your options when considering going used, especially large equipment or vehicles.

awm
09-22-2001, 08:41 AM
double d listen to albemarle lawn. they get a little nervous
if u dont listen to excuses and tellum its piece of crap an u want money back. the reason is they probably got half dozen in the back room already ,an know u got junk.but make sure its not an
operator problem.

hustlers
09-22-2001, 11:37 AM
worst purchases
contracts with clients who
never pay on time- terrible business practices

TFL
09-23-2001, 12:46 AM
Craftsman 15.5 42" almost ran a week A few yards i mow have very large hills going up and down blew the transmission. bought commercial mowers never happened again been 3 years :)

Jerrys Lawn Service
09-24-2001, 10:33 AM
That would be a Craftsman 30 inch 10hp rider, but that was many moons ago!
Jerry

odin
09-24-2001, 10:48 AM
Scag turferunner paid 7800 only used it 35 only got 3000 when i sold it.After the other guy bought it it started to fall apart ,although i felt sorry for him i glad i got rid of it.Also troy bilt high wheeler was a stupid mistake

casey
11-30-2001, 11:44 PM
This is the dumbest purchase I have ever made period.
Bought in late spring for fall clean-ups.
We didn't use it once this leaf season thanks to double bladed mulching.

http://www.billy-goat.com/tr-htr-L.html

Russ
12-01-2001, 08:24 AM
Someone once ask me if there was any money to be made mowing grass--I replied YES -- And the people who sell me the equipment make it all.

Hoosier Mower
12-01-2001, 02:07 PM
I'd definatley have to say either a 42" Snapper Yard Cruiser ZTR or a Sears Crapsman handheld blower..both were complete crap!

performanceturf
12-02-2001, 12:54 AM
Kisgen plugger type aerator- I don't think it would even poke into sand! (motor was new though and worth what I paid for the machine.)

Older Lesco aerator, the kind with the tines in front. tines are not at a good angle, and not much weight on them. I bought it because it was wide and fast even though it didn't plug very well when I tested it, figured it was because it was too dry, but this thing won't plug unless you're in a swamp.

Toro vac, broke the end off the crank in less than 2 hours. (makes a real wild noise when the impelling goes bouncing around inside the housing) inside of impeller was egged out and had to be replaced along with the engine.

John Deere 48 wb I got at an auction, motor blew after 3 or 4 hours, (that was the one part I was counting on, was going to rebuild the rest of it over the winter)

All these were bought used, all were "bargains" or so I thought.
I look a lot closer now.
I will still buy used at times, but now instead of assuming I won't have problems, I expect the worst, and figure value accordingly.

Phishook
12-02-2001, 01:40 AM
Got pressured into a bunton. boy what a ride. breaks your back, the most uneven cut, every bolt literly needed tightened (a rear wheel fell off). All for only $6,800!!!

18' trailer w/tool box on front. way too much toung weight. no dove tail. What a way to begin a business.

the weird thing is I still use them, the trailer is used just for hulling heavy equip., took the deck off the bunton and put a front broadcast spreader on it with a sprayer mounted on the back. works good but wish i would have found lawnsite first.

go cubs 2002!!!

BISHOP
12-02-2001, 01:48 PM
I BOUGHT A CRAFTSMAN PRESSURE WASHER WITH A 2 YEAR SERVICE DEAL AT A CLOSEOUT PRICE.

I USE IT TO PW DECKS & EVERY TIME I'M DONE USING IT IT IS OUT OF OIL.

I'VE USED A TOTAL OF 15 HOURS AND PURCHASED IT LESS THAN A YEAR AGO.

SINCE THEN ITS BEEN IN THE SEARS CENTER 3 TIMES FOR OIL LEAKS & THE HOSE AND WAND HAD TO BY REPLACED. THE SEARS TECH. GUYS MUST NOT BE TRAINED WELL.

WHEN EVER I NEED IT FOR A JOB ITS IN THE SEARS REPAIR CENTER!
:angry:

awm
12-02-2001, 03:40 PM
if thats a briggs motor ,there better than that.
id have to bring as much pressure as i could on sears to replace the unit or at least the motor.they just not doing u right.
dont mention that u are using commercialy or they are off the hook then. still the motor should perform much better than that.

VRL
12-03-2001, 12:07 AM
21" Honda Harmony II Mower self propelled from Depot. Cost 699.99 Turns off when trying to engage blades. Does not suck up the leaves well enough. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

My other crapy 21" mower (Not self propelled) that cost me 100.00 bucks works way better than that Harmony. Sucks up leaves great. What do you guys suggest for a self propelled mower?

vipermanz
12-03-2001, 06:55 PM
ton's of 21's (http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=22024)

Just Cut
12-03-2001, 09:33 PM
A craftsman lawn tractor

scagman
12-04-2001, 02:39 AM
Last year i bought a ariens mower with front swivel wheels from a local john deere store for $650 the drive system on this more crap if its wet its all you behind that mower $400 more for a honda comm would have been well worth it

TGCummings
12-04-2001, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately, I would have to say my dumbest purchase would be my 36" Exmark TTHP.

It's a great machine (don't get me wrong!), but a pain in the butt to maintenance compared to my 21s which, in my area, get used a lot more. Because it's so difficult to start in the morning, and takes me much, much longer to service regularly I'm finding reasons not to start it on these cold mornings and not to use it on my jobs. Looking back, I should have used that money elsewhere and continued using my workhorse 21s.

Still, I could not have come to this conclusion w/o the purchase so, though dumb, it has been a learning experience. ;)

casey
12-04-2001, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by TGCummings
Unfortunately, I would have to say my dumbest purchase would be my 36" Exmark TTHP.

It's a great machine (don't get me wrong!), but a pain in the butt to maintenance compared to my 21s which, in my area, get used a lot more. .

What maintenance problems do you have with that unit? We grease every 2 weeks (wheels evrery 3 days), change oil every 50hrs (hr meter), hydro fluid once per year. If you don't use it that much maint. should be minimal.

TGCummings
12-04-2001, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by casey

What maintenance problems do you have with that unit? We grease every 2 weeks (wheels evrery 3 days), change oil every 50hrs (hr meter), hydro fluid once per year. If you don't use it that much maint. should be minimal.

No maintenance problems, per se, just takes twice as long to scrape the decks, change/sharpen the blades, etc. Plus, I have to crawl down underneath it as opposed to just flipping my 21s up on their side. It's just more of a hassle to maintenance than my 21s.

Add to that the difficulty in pull-starting these 15hp Kaws on cold mornings, plus how much it costs me compared to how much it makes me, and it was just a bad decision on my part.

Again, don't get me wrong. I highly recommend these machines to those who are cutting wide open spaces and/or going through few small gates, but for me it was a mistake...

casey
12-04-2001, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by TGCummings

No maintenance problems, per se, just takes twice as long to scrape the decks, change/sharpen the blades, etc. Plus, I have to crawl down underneath it as opposed to just flipping my 21s up on their side. It's just more of a hassle to maintenance than my 21s.

I'm not trying to change your mind but with a good deck lift system, we use a ratcheting hoist, a large tourque wrench, & frequent app. of Mo-Deck I've found deck & blade maint. comparable to the 21"'s.

TGCummings
12-04-2001, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by casey

I'm not trying to change your mind but with a good deck lift system, we use a ratcheting hoist, a large tourque wrench, & frequent app. of Mo-Deck I've found deck & blade maint. comparable to the 21"'s.

Thanks for the tip, Casey. If I hold onto the machine I'll definitely invest in whatever it takes to make the process less painful. ;)

big james
01-17-2002, 10:35 PM
SUTECH STEALTH ,looked impressive and well made sitting in front of dealer ,but what a non performing piece of crap .If your tall like me it's worse than mowing with a manuel reel mower.

Planter
01-17-2002, 11:03 PM
Used tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. 420 hours on the unit. Ran like a top, a little rough around the edges, but not too bad.

That is until I got it home and off the trailer. Tried to load the bucket, tractor didn't have much power pushing into the dirt. Filled the bucket and turned the wheels, tractor won't move.

Took it to dealer and put in $750 for clutch. They say it needs a new transmission, another $4,000. All for a $5,500 tractor.

Guy I bought it from sold everything and moved out of state. What a thief.

So.....it sets on my nice, new trailer dripping hydraulic fluid and I can't use it.

danzig
01-18-2002, 12:03 AM
well, Anything weedeater. bought 1 trimmer in 94 lasted 3 months and was a pain to start and it had no gonads. Excel-hustler 52'' ztr w/turbo mulcher. What a real pos!!!! belts supported the mower deck and adjusted its height. The freakin dealer sold me 2 sets of belts at 180 bucks a pop. Every 3 weeks the belts would break. Finally got so fed up that i got in the dealers face!! Then the moron saw that he had been selling me the wrong belts!!! he wouldnt give me my money back and could only say "sorry about that". Bought a new silver series lawn boy self propelled in 93. That thing vibrated apart and cracked all the thin pot metal it was made of. It died after 5 months of mild use. BEST PURCHASE HAS BEEN 3 REALLY OLD BUNTON BP BLOWERS WITH KAWA ENGINES. THOSES BAD BOYS KEEP ON BLOWING. ANYTHING STIHL. 92 DODGE D-350 WITH A CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL. THAT TRUCK IS A MULE ON STEROIDS!!!!! EXMARK 60'' TURF TRACER STILL GOIN STRONG. MY REALLY OLD 85 TORO WB TBAR BD 44''WB-old reliable- its worn out 2 engines but that frame is still strong.

johnnywalker
01-18-2002, 02:15 AM
After tallying up all the votes the booby prize goes to the Stealth. I have also had the displeasure of owning this monstrosity. If you see this at your dealer RUN AWAY!

Atlantic Lawn
01-18-2002, 07:52 AM
About anything with the name Craftsman on it, if you intend to use it every day.

JSG
01-21-2002, 03:58 PM
Scag Tiger- What a piece of crap!!!

Highpoint
01-21-2002, 04:04 PM
Bed Shaper for my Walker. Piece of @#$&!

mklawnman
01-21-2002, 04:17 PM
The John Deere F525 three wheeler- homeowners machine, too slow for commercial use, great Kaw engine cuts like crap. Also anything with the name Homelite on it.
Love the Scag Turf Tiger 2001 model.
Matt (Lawnman)

leeslawncare
01-21-2002, 04:55 PM
I would hafta say the weedeater hedge trimmers,Teeth to small!!hard to start.Kept it maybe 2 yrs traded thenm for a .22 rifle then sold the rifle for 100.00!!!! made out like a bandit.Second is ahomlite backpack blower.wouldn't blow a string outa cats a&#.!let it go to a misfortunate homeowner cheap.Redd maxx is the beat for both in my opion.

O ya ..any kinda push spreader that any homeowner can buy,,,junk,junk,junk.Lesco has been the best i've seen.

bob
01-21-2002, 10:19 PM
I usually think things out pretty good before I make a purchase. My biggest mistake was buying a 14' trailer instead of a 16' one. I had the 14' one year then I needed a bigger one- the 16'er. My garage size limits me to that length.

jack D.
01-21-2002, 10:54 PM
This was a best & worst. The tiller is great, the attachments suck. Used the dethatcher attach about 10 min. (you have to pull machine backwards for it to work). Wasn't impressed with the edger attach either. I see now they have a plow attach???

thfireman
03-01-2002, 12:49 AM
My first year i was switching from pressure washing to lawn care. I bought a 36" sears crapsman rider. When the 30 dAY RETURN policy was expired the front right wheel promptly fell off. I replaced the spring c clip that held it on. Then after a left turn it popped off again. Every time I turned left it went right off. Sears said I needed a new axle. The blamed me because I didnt spray it with WD 40. This was only about a month and a half after I bought it. I sold it to an uncle and he has had it for about 11 years now and it never broke again!! Oh well!:confused:

Buster57
06-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Worse purchases were all John Deere. Same dealer(my fault).
30S weed trimmer. Lasted 50 hours and blew up. ($400+)
JD 14s “Commercial” lawn mower. About as commercial as the 30S trimmer! Tore to pieces in a year.($400+)
JD-318 with 1500 hours. Had to replace engine at 1625 hours.($2000).
I do not do too much business with John Deere any more. None with the former dealer in Sherwood, Oregon.
Kubota, Stihl and Honda get most of my funds.

GrassMaster84
06-13-2002, 02:03 PM
A Homelite Backpack Blower- - it didn't quite make it till halfway through the season :p

maple city
06-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Weedeater brand trimmer and blower, and Craftsman hedge clippers.

Live and learn.

Old Pa
06-13-2002, 03:15 PM
Toro Recycler 21 2-cycle. Great motor, still running when everything else had gone to hell. Deck loaded up at the hint of dampness. Hosed it off religiously per manual and alloy deck corroded letting all paint go. Blade brake that allowed motor to keep running was making rude noises of reluctance after the first season. Drive transmission tanked in year two even after being greased every 25 hrs. Three years later, same Toro dealer told me it was worth nothing for trade. Great 2-cycle motor though . . . :blob2:

brucec32
06-30-2002, 04:46 AM
1. Craftsman (get this) 4 wheel steering lawn tractor! A bolt fell off the first day I used it and the rear wheels went one direction and the front another! It was hilarious. I sold it to my uncle for half what I paid for it. I was new in the biz and didn't want to spring for a commercial walk behind. Stupid.

2. MTD Push blower/vac to do a lawn full of leaves. Still learning. I figured out later I could use a mower to mulch them and do a better, faster job. I used this tool a dozen times and it sat for years. Sold it to my brother in trade for some electrical work.

3. A Ryanaire Dethatcher. $950. Soon figured out dethatching is sucky, dirty, tiring business, and nobody wants to pay what it's worth. I used it a few times, and it's sat in a shed for about 6 years. I crank it to make sure it runs, but can't figure out how to sell it.

4. Echo 2400 shredder vac. REceived as a gift actually, but I asked for it. Thought it might come in handy for flower beds, but it's not strong enough really, and the bag gets heavy on your shoulder really fast. Sold it on Ebay for a good price, though.

5. Ridiculous hollow pole filled with roundup with cloth nap on the end to sponge roundup onto weeds in beds. What the hell was I thinking? I never used it. Gave it away, I think.

6. Echo SRM 3100 string trimmer. Heavy as hell! Made my arms ache, so I converted it to use on a shaft type hedge trimmer. Still heavy, but I don't use it often and the extra power comes in handy.

Brickman
06-30-2002, 11:07 AM
There have been various items over the years. Some didn't even have names on them. This was when I was new in the biz, this sort of thing hasn't happened in the last couple of years. Some were such P. O. S that I left them when I moved the first of this year. Did not bother to throw away, or take with me.

Hopefully we don't make the same sort of mistakes now, as we did when we were new in the biz. That would suck to not learn from our mistakes.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
02-04-2003, 03:39 PM
great dane super surfer

IBGreen
02-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Husqvarna 42 in. ztr w/ four pin deck lift I hope it catches on fire.

Craftsman hedge trimmer, lasted two pulls.

Single axle trailer.

Echo pb 260 I can pee harder than it blows. Should have looked at the price tag a little harder eh?

Echo leaf vac, lasted one day.

Just Cut
02-04-2003, 03:59 PM
1.Craftsman lawn tractor
2. Stihl fs 46 trimmer

J&R
02-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Dumb 2 times 2 Snappers ZTR joy stick. the Joy of Crap.

Heavenly Green
02-04-2003, 08:16 PM
this was my worse decicion I ever made leased the end of 99. Thought this was all the truck Id ever need HA HA. Now it just sits in the drive way and plows when it snows. my milage is almost met and it gota sit till I turn it in Dec. 2003. $550 a mo. payment and full coverage Inns. I feel like Im just flushing it down the toilet. Not to mention the first month I had this truck it had to be towed back to the dealership for electrical issues.

mag360
02-04-2003, 08:34 PM
My first trimmer--a used tanaka curved shaft I payed 125 for. used it all season though.

bob
02-04-2003, 09:14 PM
My first edger was an MTD, it lasted about 5 hours and the motor siezed up. I also bought a vacuum attachment for an Echo hand held blower. I used it about 4 times. The thing fills up real quick and the the bagger blows dust in your face.

lawncare3
02-04-2003, 10:06 PM
The WORST of all time was that MONKEY WARDS P.O.S. It was the worst piece of crap that was ever made. It was my first front engine rider. I drove it home (1.5 miles) then found out the oil hadn't been changed in about 4 years. After that I was dumb enough to buy a trailer ($95). The mower had practially NO tread on the tires. The mower SUCKED GAS about 1 gallon per lawn (NOT exzadurating). Sold it 2 mths later for $300 with trailer:mad: :angry: :angry: :dizzy:

ksland
02-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Echo pole saw. The non-extending type. The whole thing was about 6 feet long but you could only gain about 1-2 feet reach more than just a plain chansaw. Used it once, chain fell off and never put it back on.

IBGreen
02-04-2003, 10:56 PM
I forget about the YELLOW PAGES!:angry:

tiedeman
02-04-2003, 11:02 PM
this was back in the day when I first started out, but I like went through 4 trimmers in a year from K-Mart. I was just too young and dumb at the time that I could have bought one good one, not four.

bad_chad48
02-05-2003, 03:02 AM
most products from wal-mart... Put their brand "slime" in my tires about 3 months ago when I ran over a roofing-nail well, the darn thing is still leaking slime all over the garage.It makes it easy to spot the hole though. Glow in the dark yellow. Also, I bought a DC powered impact wrench(also from wal-mart) to take the blades off my Scag. Well, no kidding you could hit the trigger and grab the socket with your hand and actually turn it the opposite way. But I love my Scag TT

DaleL
02-05-2003, 10:23 AM
LESCO 21" self-propelled trim mower!!! All I can say is JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK! Transmission was supposed to be 3 speed - I was lucky if it moved with ONE. That's after they replaced the original one. Wheel came loose and fell off! Okay, I am aware that one should check and tighten bolts etc periodically but this machine didn't have probably 25 hrs on it at the time. That was $630+ I'd been better off spending elsewhere...:angry:

Oh well...
DaleL

Mr_Marc
02-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Grease Gun from "wal-mart" Load cartridge give it a pump and wala grease in my eye and all over the floor. It had a bad hose now in lake behind my old house. Anything with ryoby<!sp on it

First wife low miles and could burn cold cereal.

Datsun B-2-10 Junk and I mean Junk. This thing had more rust than a tin can in a landfill.

Cheap diapers for the kids never again I'll stick to the brand name thanks.

Pruning sheers from Home Chepo these things could't cut finger nails.

21 push mower fronm sears. 1st day home pulled starter and it fired. This thing was an enviromental hazard from day one No it didn't make day 2. Returned to sears and never went in the store again. Well almost.

---Later

Ricks Z28
02-05-2003, 05:59 PM
After being in the business for 21 yrs. I'd have to say the Dumbest piece of equipment that I ever bought was a straight shaft weed eater. How you guys lug those heavy things around all day is beside me. And I just can't imagine edging with that monster by walking backward with it. Personally I'd sooner walk forwards. I'll stack my curved shafted Echo 2400's up against any straight shaft any day for trimability and endurance.

Rhett
02-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Ryobi crap. Promised the wife no new hand held stuff till I can not patch up the old stuff. She has gone in to cahoots with my buddy's wife who runs a small engine repair. Now when ever I blow up one of the pieces of junk another one mysteriously shows up on my porch for parts. Worse thing is I think he has about 15 in his shop for parts.:angry:

CMLLawnServices
02-05-2003, 08:34 PM
2 ryobi trimmers , hard to start. blew rods outta both of them . finally got a sthil fs 55 , really happy with it. a poulin handhled blower, brand new never got it to fire once , still tryin to get it goin maybe ive got some bad gas , i wanna put it though the snowblower.

Turf Dancer
02-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Well let me see if I can remember all the Wasted $ I spend on crap machines !

JD JX 85
JD JX 75
Weedeater trimmer
Billy Goat Lawn Vac
Ariens High Wheel Trimmer
Weedeater Blower

After all these mistakes I can now consider myself I wise man !

I now think before spending money and I also consult all the great guys who have also made mistakes here on Lawnsite !

1grnlwn
02-06-2003, 01:02 AM
$20 Tap and die set from Northern Equipment.

sirsweatsalot
02-06-2003, 01:15 AM
ryobi straight shaft trimmer. bought it around christmas (i live in MN!) warrenty is only 4 months. so summer comes and it doesn't work hmmm. well i have stiel and echo now but if you bought it in may you could keep going back every week and get a new one. took me a while to figure that one out.

Blessed 1
02-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Echo 2400 shredder vac.........I've used it 1-2 times and sticks lock the blade up then you have to get a screw driver and remove the tube to un stick....:mad:.

#2 Craftsman 3 wheel edger. Used about 2 times. Stick is the only way to go.

While you all are bashing Craftsman, my Craftsman 42" 21.5 hp has really saved my butt this winter because of the bagger. I cant wait till the cloth bagger comes out for my Z Master but I sure am glad the I had the Craftsman. :D

goose
02-07-2003, 08:22 PM
I have got all of you beat , 2 48" Toro ZTR Baggers , $20,000 Total for the 2 of them. They stay in the shop so much I have given up on them. When I first got them in 2000 one was so bad Toro gave me a new one!!!!!!!!! Junk , Junk , Junk . If you are with Toro Do not email me!!!!!! I am sure we have talked already.
Hell I 'm sure I might even see in court soon.

Goose

PS If you are a glutten for punishment they are for sale!!!!

lawn4life
02-07-2003, 08:35 PM
I ran an Encore 48inch gear drive when I first got in the business.
Had no friggin clue. That thing was the biggest piece of junk ever.
It had like 12 horses or something. Couldn't bag anything. Should have bought a new exmark right away.

Also bought a highpowered echo blower that lasted about 3 months. Took it in under the warranty, but it never ran worth a crap again.

Echo leaf vac/blower was a poor purchase too. Works in the right
circumstance, but is a pain in the butt mostly.

lawn4life
02-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Turfdancer,

Cant believe you dont like your billy goat. Now that we have ours we can't live without it. We use it in the fall to suck leaves off the driveway and curb.

FrankenScagMachines
02-07-2003, 08:49 PM
I'm sure there have been a few. Yes anything from Walmart or moving tool sales I guarantee to break or be plain nuts to use. I've had my share of things but luckily have been able to watch others suffer and learnt quick from it. First trimmer was a Homelite curved shaft a friend gave me, it needed a new ignition module, $40. After that it had problems still but it got me down the road enough I could buy a new Stihl and justify it. I have been given a few Craftsman push mowers or used some and I tell you anything would be better. Oh and Poulan Weedeater brand trimmers don't even look at. Never bought one but have seen alot of problems with them.

But it goes the other way around too, some brands you overpay for it.
Best o' luck,
Eric

Nick
02-07-2003, 10:00 PM
to turf dancer.
If you got the home owner billy goat you asked for it not to suit your needs. The two commercial models are excellent for excessive debris and trash on hard sufaces ex:large parking lots

brucec32
03-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Craftsman 4 wheel steering lawn tractor....a bolt fell out the first yard I used it on and the rear wheels started trying to pass the front! I found the bolt, reinstalled it, and sold it for half what I paid for it to my Uncle for use on his large lawn. What was I thinking?

Swampbeast
03-04-2003, 11:42 PM
Dumbest purchase huh? Lemme think here....ah yes! I once bought a Homelite handheld blower. Used it for two weeks, then the pull cord fried, took it back and got an Echo Backpack blower. So much better!
John Deere 21 inch mowers. Those were definately a brain fart.
Cant think of anything else, I am sure there is more though.

:cool:

thfireman
03-05-2003, 09:11 AM
I've had my share of things but luckily have been able to watch others suffer and learnt quick from it.

LOL, :)

BobR
03-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Could your TORO misfortune have been the 325 series? I bought one new used it for two months (cursing every minute), my dealer took it back on trade for a 100 Z which I still have and dearly love... I hear ya a $10000 mistake.. Good case for DEMO on your lawns before you buy.
BobR

garyslawn
03-05-2003, 10:16 PM
A 1995 3/4 ton,4X4 DODGE truck. 80000 miles 3 transmissions.

IBGreen
03-05-2003, 10:39 PM
I think I forgot to mention the Echo leaf vac, anytime you'd get a pebble or a stick the blade would lock up. I broke it in the first day if I remember correctly. $200, but I got my $ back. Anyone know of something better and more commercial grade to use?

dlandscaping
03-05-2003, 10:51 PM
95 f250 extended cab-almost ruined my biz. cost me $12k trade in value of $2500 and gets a whopping 2-8 mpg.

MCGRAIL LAWN
03-05-2003, 11:01 PM
CRAPSMAN HAND-HELD LEAV BLOW/ MULCHER

PART OF THE ENGINE WORKED IT SELF FREE
HEATED UP AND BURNED THROUGH THE PLASTIC CASING

THEN THE F*CKING ENGINE KINDA JUST EXPLODED DURING OPERATION.

GET THE SERVICE PLAN WITH IT. (39.99 ORIGINAL FEE)
BLOWER HAS BEEN REPAIRED ALMOST 15 TIMES.

SEARS POLICY 100% SATISFACTION GUARENTED
SERVICE PLAN UP UN OCTOBER IN IT NEEDS REPAIR 1 MORE TIME I WILL ASK FOR MY 100% REFUND AND BUY AN ECHO

tinman
03-06-2003, 12:29 AM
I spent a couple years buying Mowers from Lowes. A lawn trctor would last a little more than a season & be ready for the scrap pile. Should have bought my Chopper the first year. Smaller equipment like blowers will get you by at first but a commercial mower is a must I think.

Swampbeast
03-06-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by dlandscaping
95 f250 extended cab-almost ruined my biz. cost me $12k trade in value of $2500 and gets a whopping 2-8 mpg.
Should have gotten the diesel.

:cool:

goose
03-06-2003, 05:41 PM
BobR ,the bad thing is I did demo it Feb of 2000 it was great , so great I bought it and bought another 3 months later . I have 3 of the 44 and 52 " z's and over the past 4 years no problem . Should have bought 2 walkers.

e-RoK
03-06-2003, 06:54 PM
We have a Snapper ZTR too. I hate that thing with a passion.

David Gretzmier
03-07-2003, 01:20 PM
What scares me Is I have owned a lot of this stuff and most everybody has too. my dubest purchase was either craftsman 38"mower, hustler shortcut, or continueing to buy grasshoppers after 3 that kept breaking.

dave g

Fareway Lawncare
08-11-2004, 08:54 PM
-New Design Toro Walks w/SFS decks

-Snowblower on a Stick

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Solo Backpack Blower

Greenservice
08-11-2004, 09:32 PM
I have one of those useless Sutech machines too. What a waste of money - it just collects dust in the garage. Also an oversized grasscatcher that was made for leaves (for WB). Two different welds broke the first week I used it. I also have a lawnseeder that I rarely use.

Fareway Lawncare
08-11-2004, 10:15 PM
I believe Sutech even has a Zero Turn Rider Now !

http://www.sutechusa.com/ztr.htm

Itsgottobegreen
08-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Lets see
- 48" Bunton Bullet (dealer-You just a kid, you don't need a commical bunton, this one is designed for what you want to do, a few lawns a week. (my 1st walkbehind and I was 13 at the time) That was total BS, It was in the shop every other week. Took a phone call with bunton's president to get it fixed. )
- tanaka timmer with the brain trimmer head (always jammed)
- any of the cloth or plastic grass catchers I bought.

Other wise the rest have been ok to good to excellent I quickly learned if you are going to spend the money, spend the money and buy the best.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-11-2004, 11:37 PM
I can come up with several, most in my first year in biz.

1) Cyclone Rake, used one hour, sitting in shop collecting dust, cant give the thing away.
2( Cyclone rake, LOL every morning I walk in my shop and look at $$$$ sitting there, what was I thinking?
3) poulan chainsaw, JUNK! did not last 2 months of very little used. threw it away.
4) poulan edger, lasted 3 months, tossed.
5) Murray push mower with 6.75 engine, this thing was like pushing a wheelbarrel full of bricks, give it to a lady a church, used 3 hours maybe.
6) Cyclone rake , GRRRR what a waste of 1192 bucks!

Danny
Quality Lawn Care

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Hmmmm, How about a Stihl br 420 blower? Lots of pullin' to get that one started.

odin
08-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
hi everybody 4 of my 1000 sceenames (casey ..jack d...johnny walker ..and of couse my latest incarnation of idiotcy fareway lawncare)are in this old thread....it almost makes me want to give up my habit of burning my balls on hot mufflers.

-

Fareway Lawncare
08-12-2004, 01:14 AM
My Trimmer Toad !

EastProLawn
08-12-2004, 01:17 AM
A Toro trimmer, the thing lasted exactly 2 months and then **** the bed..... and the thing cost $170

exmarkjockey
08-12-2004, 12:25 PM
By far the biggest waste of money for me was the Great Dane Super Surfer. There was nothing great or super about it. Owned it six months and had to put 4 hydro pumps on it, replaced both rotors, thing wouldn't climb a 10% grade if you pushed it with a semi. I'm getting steamed:blob2: just thinking about that mower and the craptacular customer service that went with it.

WoodBrothersLC
08-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by exmarkjockey
By far the biggest waste of money for me was the Great Dane Super Surfer. There was nothing great or super about it. Owned it six months and had to put 4 hydro pumps on it, replaced both rotors, thing wouldn't climb a 10% grade if you pushed it with a semi. I'm getting steamed:blob2: just thinking about that mower and the craptacular customer service that went with it.

Our Friend had to replace 4 hydro pumps on his Great Dane Super Surfer in less than a 1 month period. He recently purchased a 36 stander and likes it alot better.

Our dumbest purchase was a homelite backpack blower, we brought it back and had it replaced after 1 month of service. then a week later we had to take it back again and get the money for it instead and bought our Stihl bg-65 handheld blower that hasn't given us any problems for a year now

GrassBustersLawn
08-12-2004, 07:36 PM
SWISHER walk behind string trimmer. Would run for 5 minutes then vapor lock on hot days. I took it back.

BOLENS 3.5hp walk behind edger. Drive belt broke in less than 1 hour. Stores don't carry replacements. You have to order them. Not very convenient for contractor!

Mike

green with envy
08-12-2004, 09:00 PM
By far !!! A wedding ring for my ex wife !!:D

I would say my John Deere Quick track standing mower.

It looks good sitting in my barn.

LLandscaping
08-12-2004, 09:49 PM
John Deere JX85 the carburetor clogged up every time we put gas in it. (dealer said to use a coffee filter) Part of the deck broke off and had to have a new deck.(Under warranty) Best part was we sold it for $600.00 and it cost $800.00.

RBP
08-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Echo easy trimmer head.Nothing easy about it.total pita.It now collects dust in the garage.Anybody want it?

Racer99
08-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Well, Get ya a HONDA...preaty stable.!

Native
08-14-2004, 07:50 PM
I just got rid of a Toro bagger Z 350 wouldn't mulch in the high grass just made a big mess and if I had bagged all the lawn's I do I would have a little mountain behind my property. Traded it in with 20 hour's on a new 60" Toro with 27 HP I love it and leaves a great cut. I just lost my butt on the trade in part.
I love my Hustler's and my Toro's both great machine's.

Fareway Lawncare
02-23-2005, 06:51 PM
My 5hp Billy Goat Walkbehind Vac !

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32474&stc=1

TClawn
02-23-2005, 07:02 PM
McLane reel mower. engine had no power bad cut. I now have a trucut.

GTLC
02-23-2005, 07:31 PM
1) factory-refurbished Homelite backpack blower
2) Toro Timecutter 17-44ZX. Its on its second engine at only 250 hours

KINGjosh
02-23-2005, 07:35 PM
A stihl chain saw, $300, bought it after the hurricanes, it has never seen action since.

batdaddy044
02-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Bumping up this thread to 2007. Lots of good info for those thinking of upgrades , and especially for the newbie.

My dumbest purchases? Ryobi trimmer,Weedeater blower,Lawnboy Silver Series(mower),Lowes/MTD 22"
walk behind,Anything Homelite,any gas powered Craftsman equipment.
All meet my definition of JUNK.

WildWest
02-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Anything I FINANCED!!! I lovED my Exmark, great mower, but making PAYMENTS SUUUUUCKED!!!!

Also a wannabe walk behind edger (I forget the brand name..... it was a knock off of a REAL popular edger but it was a P.O.S.

Mike Blevins
02-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Stihl trimmer! ran good first year then went to h$ll the second year. Wouldnt start or run right. Thank God for RedMax!

lawnpro724
02-22-2007, 01:28 AM
in the late 90s I thought those cub cadet 21" with the front castor wheels I thought they would make a decent mower and boy was I wrong. They worked great for a little while and then the back wheel adjustment, some kind of spring thing kept slipping and I took it in to get fixed while still under warranty and the guy told me they were bad and replaced them. Another month or so they went bad again and the dealer told me they went bad again but the warranty was done so I had to pay to replace them again and I did only to have them go bad after a couple of months and the mower had cost me $399 new and sold them both for $50 each and they were only 2 yrs old. These mowers are JUNK and will never buy cub cadet anything ever again. I have alway's used Toro Proline but thought I would give these Cubs a try but never again, my toro's are great mowers and I would strongly reccomend them to anyone who needs a reliable and proven line of mowers

topsites
02-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Ohhh boy, let me see...

A $80 gas-powered Craftsman trimmer, new.
Sold it shorthly with less than an hour's use on it, for $25.

A $200 VERY old and used Craftsman riding mower, which I bought as a learning experience.
My god, I can't believe I actually cut about 10 lawns with it before it broke pretty good. I probably could've fixed it, but by then I had learned my lesson.
Sold it for $100 to another fellow who felt he needed this machine as a learning tool (no, seriously, that is exactly the terms under which I sold it to him, after I explained to him that I bought it so I could learn why you don't buy a machine like this, and he bought it). Although amusing as a story, I respect the man.

Several additional (three, I think) 3-pound spools of .080 round trimmer line.
It was a good deal, like $15 - $18 a spool, never realized how long such a spool lasts, I'm still on the first 3-lb.'er I bought 4 years ago, before the other 3.

This one isn't equipment, but something I tried this winter for spare cash:
Mystery Shopping (you really have to try it yourself if you have some time, the experience defies short description, but now that I'm about a month down the road from it, I get some good chuckles out of it).
This experience wasn't all bad. It was, for one, quite humbling.
For another, a real eye opener, and a harsh look into corporate rigmaroles.

The Z...
My god, what was I thinking?
I like it thou, omg it's sooo nice, and fun to ride.
50-50 on this one, not so much wasted money or a bad product, just the ROI issue bugs me.

And, for the Playstation 2:
A $60 steering wheel w/ gas and brake pedals assembly with racing seat and all, so I can play Gran Turismo 4 righteously.
What a toy, had to rebuild the entire steering wheel assembly (royal pita) after less than an hour's use (and I really didn't rough it).
Now it works ok after I fixed a few things, such as removing the stupid Vaseline lubricant the mfg used and put in some synthetic valvoline wheel bearing grease, the steering wheel doesn't bind and scrape and click and grind anymore.
As for ease of use, I can still drive any GT4 car way better with the OEM handheld controller, even after several adjustments and hours of practice.
Other complaints: You HAVE to drive using both feet.... LOL, but it's cool.
Picture (looks cool, the wheel even tilts to adjust to you, but what a POS):

J&R Landscaping
02-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Only a few regrets from when I started out...
MTD self propel mower-the tranny on this thing wasn't even fit for a junk yard!(FWD) It was always getting locked up. The engine started every time (6.5 briggs) It gave me about a season before I just gave up with all the bs!
Weedeater trimmer- best $85 I ever spent but I hated the head on that thing! The thing held maybe 10 feet of line it seemed. I sold it last year but it got me a yaer and a half (I have no clue how but some how it did)

MarcSmith
02-22-2007, 11:57 AM
You HAVE to drive using both feet.... LOL, but it's cool. any good road course driver drives with both feet. get the ol heel and toe action working...

I did not purchase it but I inhertided withmy job. A tennat Litter hawk. , a $20K hunk of junk.it about 7 years old with only 200 hours on it...
its good a picking up litter, but what a waste of $$$$

lawn guy1350
02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
shindawa trimmer! biggest pile of crap! and my homelite blower i started with. only lasted through 5 lawns. now i run all echo! And my first z, i bought one of those timecutters. it lasted two months before it was comnpletely falling apart. i took it back to home depot and they actually took it back and gave a full refund! then went to a toro dealer and bought my commercial 52" cut Z! love that mower!

MarcSmith
02-22-2007, 12:57 PM
shindawa trimmer! biggest pile of crap!

Ive got my first edger and trimmer Shin T230 from my business. over ten years old, stored outside under the deck, and its starts 2nd or third pull every time. Never left me stranded. Amazing how some equipment is good some and bad for others...:)

My first blower was an echo handheld. worked great. The day my Backback got stolen I had to blow down a hotel and resturant parking lot with it. My arm about fell off...

Howard Roark
02-22-2007, 09:34 PM
A 26 Metro from Exmark. I wouldn't even use it as a boat anchor as I would hate to subject our environment to such waste.

lawn guy1350
02-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Ive got my first edger and trimmer Shin T230 from my business. over ten years old, stored outside under the deck, and its starts 2nd or third pull every time. Never left me stranded. Amazing how some equipment is good some and bad for others...:)

Thats amazing. i dont understand it one bit. but thats machines for ya!

corey4671
02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
in the late 90s I thought those cub cadet 21" with the front castor wheels I thought they would make a decent mower and boy was I wrong. They worked great for a little while and then the back wheel adjustment, some kind of spring thing kept slipping and I took it in to get fixed while still under warranty and the guy told me they were bad and replaced them. Another month or so they went bad again and the dealer told me they went bad again but the warranty was done so I had to pay to replace them again and I did only to have them go bad after a couple of months and the mower had cost me $399 new and sold them both for $50 each and they were only 2 yrs old. These mowers are JUNK and will never buy cub cadet anything ever again. I have alway's used Toro Proline but thought I would give these Cubs a try but never again, my toro's are great mowers and I would strongly reccomend them to anyone who needs a reliable and proven line of mowers

GUILTY.. i bought one too! Had the same issue..sorta..on mine, the latch that holds the height adjustment on the rear wheels broke. Went and bought a Snapper 21"...GOSH...that thing would run circles around that Cub mower!! HIgh gear and you better have your running shoes on!

Lynden-Jeff
02-22-2007, 10:31 PM
32" belt drive. Discovered a 48 inch hydro less then 2 months later lol.

Cheers
Jeff

fiveoboy01
02-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Echo Pe-200. Great for maintaining an edge, but no power for cutting through any overgrowth. I still have it. It does run well, but that was 200 bucks I could have put towards a more powerful edger. Oh well, I was dumb and green when I bought it.

Stihl Shred 'N Vac. Uh, worthless. It gets used only as a blower. Should have just bought the blower and saved some pennies.

GreenN'Clean
02-23-2007, 10:38 AM
The worst purchase I had was a Ryobi blower/vacuum thing was a piece of crap I spent more time unclogging it then using it. Big waste of money

Mowman16
02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
The Curtis cab on my John Deere Gator, leeks more than it keeps out, and rust on it after one season. In hindsight I Should have upgraded to Diesel too:cry: .

dmanb2b
02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I can come up with several, most in my first year in biz.

1) Cyclone Rake, used one hour, sitting in shop collecting dust, cant give the thing away.
2( Cyclone rake, LOL every morning I walk in my shop and look at $$$$ sitting there, what was I thinking?
3) poulan chainsaw, JUNK! did not last 2 months of very little used. threw it away.
4) poulan edger, lasted 3 months, tossed.
5) Murray push mower with 6.75 engine, this thing was like pushing a wheelbarrel full of bricks, give it to a lady a church, used 3 hours maybe.
6) Cyclone rake , GRRRR what a waste of 1192 bucks!

Danny
Quality Lawn Care

How much do you want for the cyclone? PM me if you want to sell it and willing to ship

Daneman
02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
A 1995 3/4 ton,4X4 DODGE truck. 80000 miles 3 transmissions.

I have heard so many ohrror stories on that, they kept replacing transmissions until they realized it was a faulty trans cooler causing the damage.

You are not the only one with that issue.

RedMax Man
02-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Bought a Craftsman string trimmer.:hammerhead:
They only make good wrenches,sockets and hex sets.

S man
02-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Okay.
First off,
Murray 4.5hp push mower, lasted 3 months. LIGHT USE!!!!!
Snapper w/ honda res. engine. returned CRAP
snapper "mulching deck" mower. Still running, wish I bought a hi vac deck.
Echo pe200. Went back, less than a month.
Lawnboy insight with tecumseh. returned Ultra crap

Stihl km110r(love it) except I should of bought separate tools for almost the same price I payed for it. Also the edger doesn't work very well.

AFD
02-25-2007, 12:07 AM
A dixie chopper. Under 2 hours of use.

Swampy
02-25-2007, 03:42 AM
2000 F550, Replaced engine at 36K, now have to replace it again after only 500 miles.

RICHIE K
02-25-2007, 09:29 AM
A Dodge 1983 dump truck got it from a state auction every week something went wrong

IN2MOWN
02-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Echo Shred and Vac.

I could have a pile of leafs chewed up and spit onto a tarp faster then that thing works.

hosejockey2002
02-25-2007, 12:30 PM
1. Troy-bilt 4 stroke trimmer. Engine seized after 6 hours. Took it back, bought a Stihl.
2. Poulan chainsaw. I was always "poulan" on the starter rope.:angry:
3. Pole saw attachment for my Stihl trimmer. Works fine, but leaks bar oil everywhere.

corey4671
02-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Echo Shred and Vac.

I could have a pile of leafs chewed up and spit onto a tarp faster then that thing works.

this seems to be a recurring theme. I made the same mistake this past fall thinking that I could make a leaf loader out of it. Lowe's even had a hose attachment for it to vaccum straight into a large garbage can. POS. Rarely even use it as a blower.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
02-25-2007, 04:21 PM
A 2004 ford truck at $30,000 when I could have got two or three used trucks for the same price one of them could have been a DUMP too. I do love my truck thou for the record.
Advertisment with the yellow pages!

tallimeca
02-25-2007, 04:44 PM
talk about a reoccuring theme....

All you guys are complaining about 95% Home owner equipment. No wonder you had problems.

Names like Ryobi, Weed Eater, Homelite, Lawn Boy, Craftsman.......

Have no place in the landscape world.

And the Echo shred n' vacs dont' either. I can't believe you actually tried to make a tailgate loader out of it????????

Shread N' Vacs are for the homeowner to blow to the stuff into piles and pick them up to reduce their waste. They are not intended for sucking stuff out of flower beds and shrubs. Chunks of mulch will get stuck in there in a second!!

Also, hand held stick edgers are for maintaining edgers, not cutting new ones.

Let some of the new guys learn from your past mistakes. You want commercial quality, pay commercial prices for commercial equipment.

HiTECH
02-25-2007, 05:08 PM
i bought a brand new 52" hydro walk behind toro, this thing had all the bells and whistles i put 5 hrs on it and sold it. Toro makes a good ztr but their w/b sure do suck. Just wish i would of spent the extra money and went with the ferris. Now i have a couple ferris's and wouldnt trade them for any thing

IN2MOWN
02-25-2007, 05:14 PM

All you guys are complaining about 95% Home owner equipment. No wonder you had problems.

And the Echo shred n' vacs dont' either. I can't believe you actually tried to make a tailgate loader out of it????????

Shread N' Vacs are for the homeowner to blow to the stuff into piles and pick them up to reduce their waste. They are not intended for sucking stuff out of flower beds and shrubs. Chunks of mulch will get stuck in there in a second!!

Let some of the new guys learn from your past mistakes. You want commercial quality, pay commercial prices for commercial equipment.

I used mine to clean out deep window wells so I didnt have to crawl into them.

Nothing "homeowner" about Echo BTW.

tallimeca
02-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Nothing "homeowner" about Echo BTW.

I agree 100 percent, however, the shred n' vac is designed for the homeowner. Not knocking the construction or design, but the tool itself doesn't belong on a landscape rig.

IN2MOWN
02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I agree 100 percent, however, the shred n' vac is designed for the homeowner. Not knocking the construction or design, but the tool itself doesn't belong on a landscape rig.

Agreed. I also think every manufacturer has a "homeowner" line.

Like I said before. I just used it to suck leafs out of deep window wells. Not for huge fall cleanups.

S. Helwig
02-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Wow, what a bunch of interesting comments...The one piece of crap I didn't see listed on here was the John Deere SST zero-turn rider (the one with the steering wheel) instead of "sticks". I believe the best thing that could happen to these is a can of gas and a match.

4curbappeal
02-26-2007, 12:45 AM
a green and yellow mower that was suppose to mean i had arrived.good thing is it had a good resale value

I hear you on that one!

Lazer_Z
02-26-2007, 01:20 PM

I hope your not putting the Stihl FC110 in that category.

Rob

grassmannj
02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Homelite back pack blower used it once, gave it away and bought a redmax.

brocksdiesel
02-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Toro z worst pathetic piece of excuse for a commercial unit i have ever seen. After the framed cracked one week after warranty went out I had to fight to get the manufactured frame enhancement part put on. They did however have a part called the frame enhancement part. Wont buy toro again.

lawnpro724
02-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Toro z worst pathetic piece of excuse for a commercial unit i have ever seen. After the framed cracked one week after warranty went out I had to fight to get the manufactured frame enhancement part put on. They did however have a part called the frame enhancement part. Wont buy toro again.

I find what your saying a little hard to believe. I have been using Toro Zs, walkbhinds and their 21" commercial mowers ever since I have been in business and that has been over 15yrs without a problem. Almost every landscape company around this area uses Toro and like me haven't had any problems either. Toro mowers are one of the best brand commercial mowers out there and everyone touts Exmark and Toro makes them as well. Was your Toro Z a residential model and used for commercial use? The frames on their residential Zs is a far cry from their commercial line.

mow2nd
02-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Little Wonder Leaf Vac

brocksdiesel
02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
I find what your saying a little hard to believe. I have been using Toro Zs, walkbhinds and their 21" commercial mowers ever since I have been in business and that has been over 15yrs without a problem. Almost every landscape company around this area uses Toro and like me haven't had any problems either. Toro mowers are one of the best brand commercial mowers out there and everyone touts Exmark and Toro makes them as well. Was your Toro Z a residential model and used for commercial use? The frames on their residential Zs is a far cry from their commercial line.

THe Z was a commercial Z according to the wholesaler i bought it from. THis may have been more than 13 years ago. You know how time flies. My next zero purchase was a SCag and it is built more like a tank compared to the Toro. The good news is we no longer do maintenance strictly new install. I still have the scag to use around the house and it's awesome. no comparison.

lawnpro724
02-27-2007, 12:42 PM
THe Z was a commercial Z according to the wholesaler i bought it from. THis may have been more than 13 years ago. You know how time flies. My next zero purchase was a SCag and it is built more like a tank compared to the Toro. The good news is we no longer do maintenance strictly new install. I still have the scag to use around the house and it's awesome. no comparison.

I personally don't care much for Scag but they are built very heavy but don't like their cut as well as Toro's. I have seen the 2007 line of both and Scag isn't built any heavier than Toro and horsepower is about the same as well so for me it comes down to cut and I have to give the edge to Toro. Scag has a decent cut but Toro's tubo force deck w/ baffles give a great cut in wet, long, dry or whatever condition the grass is and the nothing mulches like Toro.

batdaddy044
03-01-2007, 09:55 PM
There were several responses to this thread ,noting that those purchases
were usually consumer grade (non-commercial )equipment.That was my point for "bumping -up" this thread .You might get by for a season with homeowner grade equipment.MIGHT.YOU have to decide ,whether it is worthwhile ,to buy consumer grade equipment,every year ,at its cheaper cost(initially) ,or to buy commercial grade equipment,designed for the constant use of the Lawn Care Operator,that will likely last you several years.

Do your homework-you will find your answer-what works for you.Keep in
mind that your average lawn care client will not be impressed ,if you incur
numerous breakdowns, due to the unserviceability of equipment. INVEST in the highest quality equipment that you can afford.Spending good money for good equipment WILL save you a lot of headaches,AND you will look more professional with professional equipment.

S man
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I hope your not putting the Stihl FC110 in that category.

Rob

I would. Mine won't go through anthing without problems.

cut-1
03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
I got about 40 accounts now. Thinkin about upgrade.

nobagger
03-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Most of our stuff has held up well, even the Troy Built trimmers we bought years ago when we first started. If you dont abuse equipment, 90% of it will last for at least a season or two. However there is a difference in quality commercial equipment. One thing I never would buy for commercial use is a box store bigger mower. You can get away with using a box store trimmer and stuff like that for a year but the mowers seem to take the biggest beating. As far as the "dumbest thing" we ever bought...well everything we bought pretty much got used. Now the "worst thing" we ever bought was a Little Wonder HPV, there are several posts in here where I have comented about this POS. So I guess if anyone is thinking of buying one....DONT!

cleancutinc
10-22-2008, 05:15 PM
:nono:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH......

cleancutinc
10-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Buy dixie chopper i love mine.....

S man
10-23-2008, 05:13 PM
The dumbest thing I ever bought was a dixon black bear ztr.

david shumaker
10-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Little Wonder Leaf Vac. It works well, but I just don't use it except around the house. Also, Echo blower-vac. Works good, but again, I hardly use it. I hardly use my trimmer rack, either. It's easier to just put the trimmer in back of pick-up truck.

Frontier-Lawn
10-23-2008, 10:13 PM
It was Echo

shovelracer
10-23-2008, 10:41 PM
2008 Scag TT 61" 29 Kawi. Its a piece of garbage, big heavy expensive garbage. They arent built anything like they where years back. You'd never tell by looking in the shop or even a demo cause your not gonna use it like its yours. They just have several weak points. I replaced a Lazer with it and most likely will sell it in the spring for a loss out of fear for repair costs that I can already see coming. I'm not that hard on my equipment, but if any manufactures want to get some real world testing just send me a PM.

dishboy
10-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Exmark 36 with the worthless double pulley belt drive. And the all time POS another Exmark the 26. Needless to say I will never be a guinea pig for Exmark again.

Cajun Country Lawn Care
10-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Weed eater edger and blower, need I say more.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Anything that has anything to do with MTD is a bad choice

Hawg City Lawns
10-23-2008, 11:34 PM
weedeater edger from walmart used it once and ate the gears

Jason Rose
10-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Anything that has anything to do with MTD is a bad choice

You mean like LESCO or CUB CADET COMMERCIAL? Hardly...

Worst purchaces for me; Yardman (MTD, Troybilt, White) Walkbehind leaf vac, one of the smaller ones... Wow what a waste of $450!

I know I've bought a TON of dumb crap over the years, if I had back all the money I've wasted I'd have all my GOOD equipment paid off the day I bought it.

mowerknower
10-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Condoms from a dollar store.

Micheal2008
10-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Condoms from a dollar store.

:) Use a plastic baggy!!

Mowbizz
10-24-2008, 09:36 AM
40" Toro belt drive walk behind mower...mower was really nice except for the fact that it was belt driven. Never used the sucker...did all my accounts with my Lazer Z HP 50"
Will buy another WB as I'm sure there'll be a need for one "someday"
Probably go with a single hydro Quick 36.
Oh, yeah...traded the Toro for a nice truck loader for my leaf trailer...:drinkup:

Nu-Image
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I attached it to my hustler 60z rider. I paid $460 for it and the chute would open all the way up when I hit bumps. It rusted and fell apart after one season.

Frontier-Lawn
10-24-2008, 01:53 PM
worst purchase was the WIFE :cry: wines about house work and taking care of the cat she wanted.

TREEGUARD
10-24-2008, 05:33 PM
LESCO 36" W/B mower it cut like crap & I hated using it

greenred
10-24-2008, 06:52 PM
I would have to say that one of the worst purchases I made was my Toro ZTR with a SFS deck. The base ZTR is good and every thing including the deck is well built, but the design of the deck is just crap compared to what I could have bought at the time. It still payed for its self over several times and I still get use out of it. I just had to adjust to its deficiencies to make up for them. I learned my lesson and when I was shopping for another Walk Behind to compliment my other mowers I got a Exmark with one of the best decks on the market and I love it and more importantly my customers loved the way it left their lawns looking.

Micheal2008
10-24-2008, 07:23 PM
worst purchase was the WIFE :cry: wines about house work and taking care of the cat she wanted.

I havent made that purchase yet and looks to be far in the future lol

Green Team Landscaping
10-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Hmmm, when I bought my Homelite 3 years ago and realized I would need something better down the road. Actually, the thing still runs and trims and edges all my lawns every week for 3 years, but I wish I had a Stihl :cool:
Homelites are actually pretty good believe it or not. They may not be commercial, but I use one because I dont want to spend money on anything better if this is getting the job done, but it's worked out very well so far. Always starts 2nd pull.

Jason Rose
10-24-2008, 09:00 PM
LESCO 36" W/B mower it cut like crap & I hated using it

Wow, I must have totally blanked that one out. I had one too, a BELT DRIVE Lesco 36". I think the cut was fine, but running it was like driving a tank. On tight lawns, which is what I bought it for, it would work me to death turning it and pulling it backwards, it had no real reverse, just an "assisted reverse". Of course it was a fixed deck so adjusting the height was a PITA. I was sooo glad when I was able to finally get that thing sold. (bought it used so I didn't take a beating)

cpel2004
10-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Can we add software, Clip software. The worst 700 bucks I have every spent.

RICHIE K
10-27-2008, 06:48 AM
shreeder vac