PDA

View Full Version : Playground Installs Help

TazLandscapes
05-02-2007, 06:56 PM
I was asked to do a playground install for one of my good customers.
so here is what i am looking for help with.

1.Where can i find a dealer for playground sets both wood and metal in maine or on the web.
2.what type of material should i use for the ground.
3.How do i price such a job out.I charge $45.00 hr per person
4.what are the requirements on safety

I also have been looking on the web and calling my local city hall and asking if there is any type of requirement or permit i need for playground installation.
And they did not seem to find anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mike DiBiase

Let-it-mow!
05-02-2007, 07:28 PM
1. You can find playground manufacturers in Recreation Management Magazine at http://www.recmanagement.com It's a magazine for people that manage public parks, schools, etc. It's one of those free magazines that's almost completely advertising and maybe 3 articles recycled month after month.

But if you're looking for playground manufacturers, they are all in there.

There's an annual buyers guide available online that has all the adds in one issue.

2. The ground must be soft. The answer to # 3 will help but shreaded rubber tires and certified playground mulch are pretty much standard. Playground mulch must be certified as playground mulch. Some playgrounds have a thick rubber pad applied over asphalt. Expensive

3. I don't know how to price it. But even service businesses make something on materials markup. Don't do this for just the labor. I know of one playground consultant who got $4K to spend two days supervising a group of volunteer parents install a 50K playground at a school.

4. You can download playground safety requirements here from the consumer products safety comission. This is the playground bible that everyone uses as a reference. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/325.pdf

unit40
05-02-2007, 09:32 PM
We just installed a playground structure and swing sets last fall. did it all to spec. Manufacturers rep. supervised the install. There is a specific fall zone around everything. The processed wood chips had to be 12" thick. We excavated 12" down for this area. Bobcat with 2 large augers. Sonnet tubes. Laser level. Autolevel. 5 yds.concrete. Basin blocks. Etc. Etc.