PDA

View Full Version : Any West Virginia Members here?

Lee Homan
08-08-2001, 08:34 PM
As a former resident of Parkersburg, West Virginia, I was wondering if there were any other members here from WV.
If so how's business up there? Me and my wife thought about moving back but the last time I lived there in 1993 good jobs were hard to come by. I would like to continue in the lawn business but not sure how well it would go.

1MajorTom
08-08-2001, 08:42 PM
I went to member list, advanced search, then in the location field I typed in West Virginia. I also tried W. Virginia, and W. Va

I was only able to find 6 members, and none of them had more than 3 posts each.

Might be others out there, but that's all I could find.

Lee Homan
08-08-2001, 08:45 PM
Thanks 1MajorTom, wasn't aware of that option.

Eric ELM
08-08-2001, 08:45 PM
I did the same search and found 15 using wv as the search in location. One member has 107 posts.

Lawn-Scapes
08-08-2001, 08:52 PM
I was just wondering which state is represented the most here...

I see a lot of people from MD here..

Eric... do you know?

Lee Homan
08-08-2001, 09:06 PM
Thanks 1MajorTom and Eric. I found those members. I thought maybe there would be more. Maybe more lurkers than members.

dhicks
08-08-2001, 09:40 PM
If any of the W.Virginia boys or girls that are near Martinsburg or Harpers Ferry, Let me know. We can do dinner some Friday on ME!!!

Lawn-Scapes
08-08-2001, 10:01 PM
Harpers Ferry... I did a couple of Home Theater installs up that way... I think. Is there a correctional facility up that way?

I'll take you up on the offer :) It would be a trip but I'd actually like to meet and talk with you.

jannan
08-08-2001, 10:07 PM
Lee: I am from Fairmont, and my brother who is in business with me, lived in Parkersbug for about 8 years. We are just part time right now(second season) but hoping to build up to full time in the near future. Seems to be plenty of lawn maintenance & landscaping work in this area, due to the aging population. The job market in WV is still not great, but probably better than it was in 93.

sunrise
08-08-2001, 10:29 PM
I use to live in the great state of West Virginia. but now live in it's sister state of Virginia. I miss the slow pace.

Mowingman
08-08-2001, 11:07 PM
I was born and raised just 13 miles up the river in Marietta. Ohio. Relatives still living there tell me that lawn service businesses seem to do well there because of the aging population. However, the economy is not to good, and good paying jobs are hard to find. I love that area, and hope to retire and move back some day. Might even take a couple of my mowers and mow a little grass if I get bored!:D

Lee Homan
08-09-2001, 12:09 AM
Hey Jannan, thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing about the aging population, plenty of it especially with the boomers. Don't know how long that would sustain you though.
As far as good jobs, so many of the people I went to school with have moved away to find better jobs. It would definately be a gamble for me to move back there now at 35 years of age but I would sure love to be around family and friends again.......I think.

Mowingman: I know exactly where Marietta is. Been to the regatta a few times. I actually use to live in Belpre,OH right before moving to AL

dhicks
08-09-2001, 12:15 AM
Hey TSG... I'm about 20 miles from Harpers Ferry, W.VA. Just pick the spot and the date and I'll be there with $$$ in hand. :blob1:

geogunn
08-09-2001, 01:04 AM
west virginia has a diverse landscape, not that I would admit to knowing much about it.

many people live in the headwater area of moderately sloping watersheds. the sloped bamks of the creek at the rear of the property is generally considered to be part of the lawn and is usually mowed and trimmed with the yard.

to me that is really nice. west virginians as a whole are very proud people.

in my area I can show you people that wont even trim around their trees or mailbox. and further diasppointing to me is they wont hire it to be done either.

GEO

jannan
08-09-2001, 09:03 PM
I want to thank you "Out of Staters" who replied to Lees post. A lot of people don't even aknowledge us as being a State, let alone having anything pleasant to say about us.

Lee Homan
08-09-2001, 11:05 PM
I'll second that Jannan, although most of my late teen years and early twenties found me guilty of bad mouthing WV too. I couldn't wait till get out of there. Now, as I get older and have a family I find myself wanting to be back there so that my kids can experience what I now have come to appreciate about WV.

"Go Herd"

Eric ELM
08-09-2001, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by TSG
I was just wondering which state is represented the most here...

I see a lot of people from MD here..

Eric... do you know?

I have not done a search on each state. Since a lot of members don't put their state in, it would be hard to find out. Some put in what part of the USA they are in.

I would guess that 3/4ths of the members are East of the Mississippi River.

vipermanz
08-10-2001, 12:16 AM
i've noticed mostly around d.c

geogunn
08-10-2001, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by jannan
I want to thank you "Out of Staters" who replied to Lees post. A lot of people don't even aknowledge us as being a State, let alone having anything pleasant to say about us.

you sir, flatter us if you think we can ignore WEST VIRGINIA!

apparently you have never heard of mr. constitution, aka: BOB BYRD! he's an asset to your state and the liberal dems. for sure.

and don't forget the rest of the nation noticed that youall voted for a democrat governor and a republican president! WOAH!

you guys are cool because you all hunt deer as a family tradition, a blood heritage, and you didn't care for the idea that AL GORE was going to take your rifles and shotguns away.

and that is exactly what he was planning to do.

he said he wasn't going to take them away after he realized that he was going to have most of the gun owners in the U.S. voting against him. that is of course excepting PA, MI, OH, and a few other labor states.

OH! and by the way, we didn't vote for AL either. it seems that TENNESSEANS, as well as WEST VIRGINIANS, are proud of their self-reliant heritage.

we're not gun nuts.

we're freedom nuts.

have a great day!

and BTY, jannen, whereever you are from, how about filling out your BIO?

GEO

jordanlawnsrvc
08-11-2001, 10:54 AM
:cool: Lee, I'm in the Martinsburg, Berkeley county area of WV. Buisness here is good, but there is a LOT of competition in the lower and middle markets; not a lot of high quality work here either. High end jobs are here but the drive time between those jobs makes them less profitable than they could be. A lot of industrials and small commercials here. We are the fastest growing area of the state. Most people are still coming from Baltimore and DC. Some from New York.

dhicks: I never realized you were in Frederick. I'm about 40min away near Winchester VA. Dinner sometime sounds good. Maybe the Mexican place on the west end of 40 or somewhere by the Key Mall. It would be good to talk shop. Nice web site! Email me.

sunrise: It's not slow here (Morgan, Berkeley, and Jefferson Co)anymore. We are officially in the Baltimore-DC Metro area since maybe ten years ago. Prices and paces are catching up fast. Quality of life, services and transportation can't keep up. Thinking about moving out towards the middle of the state, to the real WV when I finally retire. Still, I'd rather be anywhere in WV than most states except maybe eastern Tenn.(geogunn)
@R

Lee Homan
08-11-2001, 12:46 PM
I agree with geogunn. I would like to see more people fill in their locations in their bio's.

jordanlawnsrvc: I haven't been up your way in about 10 years but i did hear that area is doing well, mostly because it feeds off the surrounding states. Isn't that where White Sulfur springs resort is? I seen something on TLC or Discovery about how that place got started.

jordanlawnsrvc
08-11-2001, 02:29 PM
Lee: Are You talking about the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs? If so, that's Greenbrier Co about three-four hours south of here near Beckley. I'm about an hour from the DC beltway and Baltimore. See Ya...
@R

Lee Homan
08-11-2001, 04:23 PM
Ok, I'm sorry, your right. It was Greenbrier Resort I was thinking about.

sunrise
08-12-2001, 07:03 PM
I grew up around the greenbrier and the new river,along with greenbrier river see it one isn't enuff.
Summers County, Hinton

Lee Homan
08-12-2001, 09:14 PM
I grew up and lived there until I was 27 years old and regret that I didn't get out and see all the beautiful scenery WV has.

lsylvain
11-20-2002, 07:08 PM
I thought this was a pretty good thread so I figured I would get it rolling again.

I'm down in mercer county you know the place that the polititions don't care about.

Business is pretty good for me, but there is like 100 scrubs for every real business, so prices are down, but I'm slowly bringing them up.

I moved here from VA one of my main reasons was that 2 out of 3 people were over 55 years old. thought that would be good for business. Nope. Most of the older people around here still think they are living in the depression, wanting to pay you $5 to cut their grass. I only have two customers that are older. The rest are younger working class that just don't have the time to do their own.

Anyway..

Hope to hear from more people in good old Hillbillyville

wildbilly1113
11-20-2002, 09:48 PM
Hi,I am from the eastern panhandle of Wv.Business is good and the people are great.I have been in business since 1997 and growing.God Bless America!:angel: