PDA

View Full Version : Backflow

JB1
05-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Had a first for me today, went to turn on a system heard water running went to check back flow device and no back flow, it was gone. First time have had this happened, they just broke it off. anybody else have this happened, of course this same site we had the landscaping stolen a few years ago. Real nice area.

PurpHaze
05-02-2007, 09:56 PM
This is an epidemic across all sections of the US. :)

Wet_Boots
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Was there PVC pipes? Or all copper and brass?

JB1
05-02-2007, 10:23 PM
no, just pvc. Whats going rate on a brass backflows at scrap price.

PurpHaze
05-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Enough that they're worth stealing? :laugh:

DanaMac
05-03-2007, 08:09 AM
They're worth enough that my tech gets about $400-$700 in a bonus by stripping them apart and taking them in for recycling. Along with all the copper. But at least ours have big freeze cracks in all of them. and one of my customers works at a metal recycling place, so he makes sure we get top dollar.

PurpHaze
05-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Things are so bad in our area that thieves are attacking live wires and getting fried in the process. We've changed our way of doing things a little too. We verify each QCV, QC key and 1" impact sprinkler on the 7 sites that still are on QC systems. Not that the guys out there aren't trustworthy but we exchange/replace/repair things on a 1-1 basis and we're the only ones handling the brass parts now. In the past they've been allowed to send them into the shop via the mowing crew or other means which often led to items getting lost and then replaced. Now... we must actually go out to the site and verify replacement.