PDA

View Full Version : Adding a spray gun to my PG Magnum

Shades of Green LService
05-03-2007, 12:11 AM
I was talking tis over w/ my father in law and we thought the best way would be to, run a split off one of the nozzle hoses. Does anyone have any advise on this?

RigglePLC
05-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Jay,
Good idea. Be sure to install the split before the nozzle valves so you can shut off the nozzles and still spray with your gun. An extra shut-off valve would probably be handy.

You can also attach to the drain valve near the lower left on the tank. Low pressure. 10 PSI. Use the wand from a hand sprayer.

Nathan Robinson
05-03-2007, 09:54 AM
look up the z sprayer and see how they did it and that should give you an idea

LwnmwrMan22
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
I ran on off of the bottle fill on my Ultra.

I haven't gotten around to trying it on the Magnum yet.

I know there's not much pressure there when you're not hitting the throttle, but there should be enough to put through a gun for the small corners.

Shades of Green LService
05-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Jay,
Good idea. Be sure to install the split before the nozzle valves so you can shut off the nozzles and still spray with your gun. An extra shut-off valve would probably be handy.

You can also attach to the drain valve near the lower left on the tank. Low pressure. 10 PSI. Use the wand from a hand sprayer.

John-
If i attach the split before the nozzle valve i should be able then to put the sprayer control levers in the off position and use the wand. right?

Runner
05-04-2007, 12:20 AM
I ran on off of the bottle fill on my Ultra.

I haven't gotten around to trying it on the Magnum yet.

I know there's not much pressure there when you're not hitting the throttle, but there should be enough to put through a gun for the small corners.

Who was it that just posted the pics of their machine with the sprayer, holder with coil hose, and other modifications that were done? Was it you? Either way, this setup was well done, and would serve as an excellent example. I would look it up and post the link to that thread, but I am just too exhausted right now. :sleeping:

RigglePLC
05-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Jay,
A tee installed near the pump should work fine. A tee installed near the bottle fill valve would be easy to do. Chemlawn gun probably woud not work. Remember the pump is only 1 gal a minute--and the pressure is low--half gal a minute is probably the maximum you can expect.

Shades of Green LService
05-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Jay,
A tee installed near the pump should work fine. A tee installed near the bottle fill valve would be easy to do. Chemlawn gun probably woud not work. Remember the pump is only 1 gal a minute--and the pressure is low--half gal a minute is probably the maximum you can expect.

Thanks John, BTW How is the Agitation set up working?

RigglePLC
05-06-2007, 11:19 PM
The in-tank bypass flow agitation set up is working. But I would like more gallons per minute flow, so as to get the solution in the tank to swirl.

I have not needed it yet, but I tried a couple of paint stirring vortex propellors in my battery powered drill. That really works. Looks like a whirlpool. Probably a good idea if you want to try wettable powder products or Drive.

LwnmwrMan22
05-06-2007, 11:35 PM
The in-tank bypass flow agitation set up is working. But I would like more gallons per minute flow, so as to get the solution in the tank to swirl.

I have not needed it yet, but I tried a couple of paint stirring vortex propellors in my battery powered drill. That really works. Looks like a whirlpool. Probably a good idea if you want to try wettable powder products or Drive.

I was running LifeGuard this spring for a short time. It's Lesco's own "Dimension" product.

It comes in water soluable packets. It was fine as long as I was spraying.

My issue came in, when I did a larger cleanup between applications.

The way I run my setup, is that I do a cleanup on a property, then right after that I spray for the crabgrass and drop the fertilizer.

I found out, that once you let the WSP set in the Magnum for 3-4 hours, that it started to settle too much. Usually it wasn't a problem, but once in a while I'd get to a larger or more difficult cleanup, and then I'd have to drain all the product out of the Magnum, or else the screens would clog.

If you're just spraying, running through the whole tank without it sitting for more than 3 hours, IMO, you won't have any problem running powders.

Shades of Green LService
05-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I was running LifeGuard this spring for a short time. It's Lesco's own "Dimension" product.

It comes in water soluable packets. It was fine as long as I was spraying.

My issue came in, when I did a larger cleanup between applications.

The way I run my setup, is that I do a cleanup on a property, then right after that I spray for the crabgrass and drop the fertilizer.

I found out, that once you let the WSP set in the Magnum for 3-4 hours, that it started to settle too much. Usually it wasn't a problem, but once in a while I'd get to a larger or more difficult cleanup, and then I'd have to drain all the product out of the Magnum, or else the screens would clog.

If you're just spraying, running through the whole tank without it sitting for more than 3 hours, IMO, you won't have any problem running powders.

Your spraying pre emergents from the magnum? How have your results been? I always thought there wasn't enough carrier to get the product down through the thatch layer and down to the soil.

Shades of Green LService
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
I ordered all the parts today, I'll post picks when it is done.

Shades of Green LService
05-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Used it around ther house. Works Great!

Neal Wolbert
05-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Good job on this retro. Here's one we just tried, maybe some of you have done this already. We placed a square 12 gal. tank and pump in the hopper, wired it with a toggle and attached it close to a steering grip. It's plumbed into the top of the 8 gal tank so the operator can fill the 8 from the 12 on the fly. We premix the 12 so we can treat about 80K without stopping to fill up. Works great when you are just spraying with no problems with balance or anything else.

This is off the subject but if I could please sneak in a question to you veteran P.G. owners. While calibrating our Ultra we found our machine delivers 28 oz. in 30 seconds running at idle or full throttle with both red nozzles open. I've read posts on this thread where it appears rpm's should make a difference in the rate of delivery. Do we have a problem?

Neal

Grandview
05-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Neal, The Magnum pump is belt driven so output is dependent on rpms. If your Ultra pump is battery driven rpms will have little effect. I like the belt driven feature. Less complicated.

LwnmwrMan22
05-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Your spraying pre emergents from the magnum? How have your results been? I always thought there wasn't enough carrier to get the product down through the thatch layer and down to the soil.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.....

Anyways, as far as PRE emergent, I'm completely satisfied with the results of my Dimension 2EW in the Magnum.

It had NO effect on the crabgrass that was already germinated though, I even went over some stuff in low gear, with the high rate with double passes and it didn't stun it.

Now let me clarify as well. I'm 95% commercial properties, where the main goal is to keep everything green and roughly the same height. I don't do residential, so I don't have people walking all over the yard daily pointing out every single weed. I would say that it probably controlled 98% of the crabgrass, and the other could very easily be contributed to operator error (not overlapping completely, etc.)

Now, I've got a question for you Shade...

Where did you order the parts for your gun???

Shades of Green LService
05-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.....

Anyways, as far as PRE emergent, I'm completely satisfied with the results of my Dimension 2EW in the Magnum.

It had NO effect on the crabgrass that was already germinated though, I even went over some stuff in low gear, with the high rate with double passes and it didn't stun it.

Now let me clarify as well. I'm 95% commercial properties, where the main goal is to keep everything green and roughly the same height. I don't do residential, so I don't have people walking all over the yard daily pointing out every single weed. I would say that it probably controlled 98% of the crabgrass, and the other could very easily be contributed to operator error (not overlapping completely, etc.)

Now, I've got a question for you Shade...

Where did you order the parts for your gun???

The hose and wond i got at lesco and the fitting at Home Depot. I took the clips off an old back pack. The only thing i want to do next is to figure out a way i can hold the trigger down and walk away to spray. Maybe a clip or even a rubber band. I'll try it out later.

RigglePLC
05-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Jay,
sweet set up with the wand!
Take a careful look at the wand--most of them have a trigger lock--not that there is anything wrong with a rubber band. How many ounces per minute?

Neal,
If you get 28 ounces in 30 seconds from both red (low speed) nozzles together then that is 56 ounces per minute. If you cover 2000 sqft per minute you are applying 28 ounces per 1000 sqft. 128 oz divided by 28 means you are covering about 4.6 thousand sq ft per gallon. About 37,000 sqft per tank.

If your battery is charged up (about 12.8 volts) the output should not vary. If battery is weak the output will be less at idle.

But...for comparison (Ultra) we only use the white nozzles. We get about 22 ounces per 30 sec for each nozzle, (44 ounces per minute) (both nozzles 88oz per min). We cover about 3000 sqft per minute. So about 29 ounces per 1000 sqft. So 4.4 1000sqft per gallon. About 35,000 sqft per tank.

But sometimes the spray is not as wide as it is supposed to be so less coverage per minute.

Neal Wolbert
05-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Neal, The Magnum pump is belt driven so output is dependent on rpms. If your Ultra pump is battery driven rpms will have little effect. I like the belt driven feature. Less complicated.

Thanks, that makes sense. Appreciate the quick response.

Neal

Shades of Green LService
05-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Jay,
sweet set up with the wand!
Take a careful look at the wand--most of them have a trigger lock--not that there is anything wrong with a rubber band. How many ounces per minute?

Thanks John,
The wand does have a trigger lock, but i was refering to the throttle on the magnum. Being that the pump and transmission are powered by the same belt. I need something to hold the throttle down ( in neutral) This way i can use the entire lenghth of hose if i need to.Best thing i can think of is a bungy or rubber band. Haven't checked oz. p/minute yet.

firedude26
05-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks John,
The wand does have a trigger lock, but i was refering to the throttle on the magnum. Being that the pump and transmission are powered by the same belt. I need something to hold the throttle down ( in neutral) This way i can use the entire lenghth of hose if i need to.Best thing i can think of is a bungy or rubber band. Haven't checked oz. p/minute yet.

I have used a ziptie, make it so that it just barley goes over end and then slide it up, you can remove it by sliding it out. I have used this in calibrating and also long runs.

Shades of Green LService
05-13-2007, 11:00 PM
I have used a ziptie, make it so that it just barley goes over end and then slide it up, you can remove it by sliding it out. I have used this in calibrating and also long runs.

Thanks firedude, I did think of that but thought it would slide off the handle. I'll Give that a shot.

LwnmwrMan22
05-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Or combine the two.... ziptie the rubber band to the Magnum.... :)

somo1
05-19-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm curious if the manual throttle is still on the Honda motor. If it is just speed it up when you stop.