PDA

View Full Version : PSD lacking power

westcoh
05-03-2007, 02:01 AM
I own an 01 F250 7.3 Powerstroke diesel (my first diesel truck), and it seems like its lacking the towing power I'd expect from a diesel engine. Before this truck I had a silverado with the 6.0l gas engine, and I havent noticed a significant difference between the 2 trucks while towing around a loaded trailer. Anyone have any ideas at what to look at? If I put the accelerator to the floor I dont get any black smoke either which I always thought I should be able to.

Thanks for any advice.

IA_James
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
An '01 should be computer controlled, so it's not going to smoke unless you start screwing with it and putting in new sticks or a chip. I'm just guessing on the power levels, but an '01 PS should be making (please feel free to research this and correct me) about 230 hp and 450 tq at the flywheel. What are the 6.0's at, 300 hp and 350 or 400 tq? The main difference (and this will depend on how you drive it) will be in fuel efficiency. Diesel's are, apples to apples, about 30% more efficient than an equivilent gasser.

Fatboy
05-04-2007, 12:28 AM
That year PSD should be about 285hp whereas the 6.0L PSD is at 325hp with 560 Ft/Lbs of torque, I have one of each but I don't recall the torque rating on the 7.3L.
When is the last time that the fuel filters were changed? No black smoke is a good thing, don't try to compare the PSD's (or any other light hiway diesel) to the turned up, black cloud, soft coal burning Petercar or KW running down the road. All the extra fuel used to make that smoke is frying the turbo by sending the turbine inlet temps off the scale.
I drove a company Mack that had been turned up to the max and looked like a freight train coming down the road even though I regularly reported it on my pretrip and post trip inspection reports. It killed two turbos in one day up in the Va mountains and they tried to nail me when they found that the pump was maxed. Good thing I had a paper trail and they dropped the charges.

Fatboy

Gravel Rat
05-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Is the truck a automatic or standard ?

If its a automatic it might be worn out and its slipping. The 7.3 has enough power and should out pull a 6.0 Chevy.

I would look at changing the fuel filter and air filter and do a oil change. The PSDs rely on good clean oil to operate the injection system. The best oil and fuel filters are factory motorcraft or Wix. As for oil you can use Delo 400,Shell Rotella or Penzoil Long Life in a 15w-40. To clean up the fuel system Howes works good I use Diesel Power Plus I get it from the local Autosense Store.

The PSDs like to pull the best at 2000-2500. If your towing anything fairly heavy the truck should be equiped with 4:10s in the diff.

Travel'n Trees
05-04-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm with you I don't see much of a difference maybe less power, I am sure the 8.1 has more power and mileage. Don't get down on diesels though, try a duramax, there is a difference there, it is worth the extra money.

Bert's Landscaping
05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Your PSD has plenty of power. You might want to put a programmer in it. I installed a Hypertech programmer on mine and its big difference between stock and the 110 hp increase. You just might want to put a bigger exhaust on it to help lower the EGT's especially if you tow alot.

IA_James
05-04-2007, 07:35 PM
If you're going to start screwing with it and dialing up the power, make sure you get yourself some gauges for it. Exhaust gas temperature, and Boost being basically required. Run it too hot and you'll burn a piston at least, which ain't cheap. Too much boost, and you pop a head gasket, also not cheap.

westcoh
05-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I appreciate everyones comments / suggestions so far. As I said, this is the first diesel truck I've owned and I was somewhat unsure of how much difference I'd see compared to my previous truck. It has about 180,000 kms (112,000 miles), so I'm just looking at keeping everything stock on it, and selling it after this years season is over. I guess depending on how well it performs will help me decide whether my next truck is a Ford psd, or a duramax.

I'll be doing an oil change on it right away, and will take a look at the fuel filter and air filter as well.

By the way, anyone know where I can buy the diesel insert for the owners manual for this truck? It has the owners manual, but theres supposed to be another insert for the diesel engine but its not there.

Travel'n Trees
05-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Drive both that should make up your mind real quick.

Fairway Land & Lawn
05-05-2007, 01:28 AM
I had this same problem on a 97. After you change the oil and the filters, if it does not make a difference, try checking the catlytic converter. The converter might be stopped up creating too much back pressure and not letting the turbo spool. That was the problem on mine. No Boost = No Balls...

stroker51
05-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I had this same problem on a 97. After you change the oil and the filters, if it does not make a difference, try checking the catlytic converter. The converter might be stopped up creating too much back pressure and not letting the turbo spool. That was the problem on mine. No Boost = No Balls...

I'd change the oil and filter, fuel filter, and air filter off the bat. My 96 is like a new truck every 4-5k when I change the oil, something with the oil pressure driven injectors, they seem to work A LOT better with clean oil. It might not be legal, but either loosing the cat or at least gutting it will wake that truck up a bunch too. The fact that your stock 'stroker doesn't smoke is a good thing. After I put my straight pipe on my 96 i could get a little smoke if I really stood in it, and after my edge evolution, geez I could leave a black cloud. All it is is unburnt fuel, so i try not to smoke too much anymore:rolleyes: Good luck, once you get it figured out you should out pull the gasser you are comparing it to and get a bunch better fuel mileage, the 7.3's were/are solid engines, my 96 has close to 200K, no problems, I'll hook onto a load and take it coast to coast right now and not even worry about it.

TGM
05-05-2007, 08:51 PM
replace the fuel system and add a high pressure oil line crossover kit.

just search the old words: KNOCK and CACKLE. if the kock/cackle gets bad, it will rob a good bit of power on a stock psd.

www.dieselinnovations.com

TN Property Services
05-06-2007, 11:22 PM
westcoh,
I can help you out on this one...When you decide to sell or trade - Get a DURAMAX.
If you would like some proof with some good reading thrown in, check out www.TheDieselPlace.com
Others have said to try oil, Fuel, and air filter changes. I agree completely.
You mentioned staying stock. In case you decide to get froggy with a power adder, definitely do gauges and bigger exhaust, and some trans upgrades wouldn't hurt either to handle the extra power.
Also, with 112K, you might want to have the injectors checked or possibly replaced
Just be careful, once you start adding power to any diesel engine, it quickly grows from a fun hobby to an expensive obsession.