PDA

View Full Version : gator blades

lawn jockey
08-08-2001, 11:06 PM
:cry: Does anybody know where I can find these blades around the grand rapids MICHIGAN area? Or a web site showing there dealers

Eric ELM
08-08-2001, 11:37 PM
I buy mine at my Lesco dealer. There are on line sites that have them too. I'm sure if you do a search on Gators, you will find about 1000 posts on them alone.

Alanky
08-08-2001, 11:40 PM
This site has them, but i have had a hard time loading it here lately

www.rcpw.com

if you have trouble with their site their phone number is: 1-800-937-RCPW(7279)

hustlers
08-08-2001, 11:46 PM
do you like them i dont like them for cutting grass
what do you think about gators for cutting

lawn jockey
08-08-2001, 11:50 PM
I never tried them yet Iwas going to give them a try!What blades do you prefer?

crazygator
08-09-2001, 12:03 AM
Try this site. I havent ordered from them yet, but the do advertise just about everything. http://www.landscapersupply.com/catalog.html

MJB
08-09-2001, 02:35 AM
Gator blades are great in the right conditions. I use them in all 3 mowers Walker Mulching deck, Grasshopper side discharge,
and Exmark mulching or side discharge.

But if the grass is very wet, don't use them they chop it up so fine it turns to mush, and clumps up real bad.

Definatly works great during the fall, pulverizing the leaves into dust. I carry them on my trailer along with regular blades in case I have to change on the spot.

gogetter
08-11-2001, 03:08 AM
I just took some blades to a local guy who has a sharpening shop in his garage. He sharpens everything (circular saw blades, etc.).

He's an old guy and I know he's been doing this for a long time (this is the first time I've gone to him, but I remember seeing his sign in front of his house since I was young).

Anyway, he says that he thinks gator blades are a waste. He feels the design doesn't do what it's supposed to. The 'teeth' on the back of the blade don't cut (partially because they're not sharp), but rather just let the clippings pass through. He feels that a high lift blade is the way to go because it lifts the grass and keeps the clippings up in the air to be hit by the blade again.

Ahhh, what do I know. Just passing on some info from an old blade sharpener.

Dennis Moon
08-11-2001, 08:15 PM
I use double gators on my Great Dane Jr. As long as the grass is not real wet they do a fantastic job. If the grass is really wet they clump really bad so I use singles when wet. In real tall grass i.e. 5 or 6 inches, I just raise the deck 1/2 inch and double cut and all the clippings are gone...you can't ask for a better cut. Lays down pretty good stripes without a striping kit also.

wallzwallz
08-11-2001, 09:16 PM
Gogetter I'm not so sure the blade sharpning guy is too sharp himself:D the grass still gets cut up going thru the top of blade sharp or not, I only used hi lifts until trying gators,what the hi lift does is lift + shoot out mostly big pieces not recutting very much at all,gators let them drop thru, i think,chopping up.By the way gators come hi lift. I only run gators now + don't bag anything.But try this,let grass get long mow strip with hi lift change blades to gator mow a strip next to the first one shooting opposite side, which side has more grass shot out? I was amazed at how little comes out. As far as wet grass i really haven't found a blade to overcome clumping.