PDA

View Full Version : Best overall fungicide for cool season turf

cenlo
05-03-2007, 08:21 AM
What would the best overall fungicide be for cool season turf? A fungicide that would cover most problems?

RigglePLC
05-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Eagle is a good choice.
The lesco generic brand of propoconizole is also good.

Nathan Robinson
05-03-2007, 09:55 AM
T-storm 50

tremor
05-03-2007, 02:51 PM
This is like asking your doctor for the best general prescription medication.

Just because a product is used frequently doesn't make it the "best".

That said, I like Eagle in the DMI family. Curalan for contacts. Disarm or Insignia for Strobis.

Check out BASF's Trinity too.

vegomatic40
05-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Tried Disarm last year with very good control of Rhizoc. and Pythium. Cost is much less than Heritage. Currently my fungicide of choice on Fescue.

upidstay
05-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Mancozeb. Labeled for just about everything, turf, shrub, or tree.

Shades of Green LService
05-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Spectator ultra- Low cost P/K

tremor
05-05-2007, 12:06 AM
How did I ever forget Mancozeb? It's the only true protective contact fungicide left for residential use. Broad label & very cheap too.

Grassworks Inc.
05-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Don't forget to rotate your fungicide use, or you'll end with a pathogen that's fungicide resistant.

teeca
05-05-2007, 09:44 AM
daconil works good, just can't use it on RESIDENTIAL any more... thanks sengeta! i have used baylaton(sp?) and it took care of dollor spot fast.

MnLefty
05-05-2007, 12:07 PM
What would the best overall fungicide be for cool season turf? A fungicide that would cover most problems?

Consider Armada from Bayer. Bayleton and Compass combination in water soluble packets. Labeled for use everywhere but golf courses, because around half the price of it's golf counterpart, Tartan.

muddstopper
05-05-2007, 06:04 PM
What about treating the cause instead of the symptom? Fungal problems are usually the result of improper soil chemistry which suppresses the benefitual microbes. Correcting the soil fertility balance will lower the chance of a fungal outbreak. It wont eliminate the fungus, but will allow the benefituals to overtake the harmfuls and most of your lawn dieases will simply stop showing symptoms. And in most states you dont need a license to do this.

Also, lay off the N applications during hot humid weather.

turfsolutions
05-06-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree in regards to N applications in Summertime. However, when you get 6 straight days of rainy humid hot weather, no matter what you do, you will have fungus to deal with and you better deal with it in my area anyway. Armada is a very good product to use when needed. Use proper cultural practice first, and to restate what muddstopper said, lay of the N in the summertime, its like fuel to the fire.

txgrassguy
05-06-2007, 05:03 PM
I always liked chlorothanil as a contact fungicide.
Lesco has this in a residential use label and I have had to lean on it, especially during transition times from overseeded C4 turf.
When I ran a golf course in NE PA oh so many moons ago I sprayed on a constant 22 day preventative cycle all tees and greens.
It got to the point the regulars at the course would sit out on the veranda as the dog and I went by on the sprayer. Funny thing was those old farts had one hell of a time remembering MY name but they all knew my dog.:)

tremor
05-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Paint it white; sleep at night eh?

philk17088
05-06-2007, 09:37 PM
What about treating the cause instead of the symptom? Fungal problems are usually the result of improper soil chemistry which suppresses the benefitual microbes. Correcting the soil fertility balance will lower the chance of a fungal outbreak. It wont eliminate the fungus, but will allow the benefituals to overtake the harmfuls and most of your lawn dieases will simply stop showing symptoms. And in most states you dont need a license to do this.

Also, lay off the N applications during hot humid weather.
Very good advice but we do need rescue treatments.

greentree
05-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Armada is simply to best.....Used it exclusively last year and finally made some money on my fungicides!

Roigator
05-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I used a fungicide called Headway (combination of propiconzole & Azoxystobin). It worked miracles for Take All Root Rot of St. Aug. grass, but it also costs $500/gal (6 oz / 1000).