PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Onan Performer P220

TAZ
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I recently picked up an old Wheel Horse 520-H. It was surging badly so I disassembled and cleaned the carburetor and that fixed the surging problem. The motor runs great now.

The problem that I am having now is the unit wont stay at wide-open throttle. When the throttle is set to wide open against the high RPM stop and held there the motor runs at 3500 RPM but if you take your hand off the throttle it gradually drifts down to 2000rpm physically pulling the throttle back. The linkage appears to be tight at the pivots but the pressure from the governor arm pulls it back down unless itís held in position.

Is this a governor setting issue, a spring tension or position issue or linkage related? Picking it up second hand I have no history on whom adjusted what in the past.

-TAZ

khouse
05-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Tighten the throttle lever pivot point. Don't mess with the governor spring.

TAZ
05-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Tighten the throttle lever pivot point. Don't mess with the governor spring.

As I mentioned above I checked all the pivots and they are tight. The one on the dash attached to the control is a riveted assembly with spring washers for tension and seems to have a fair amount of drag. The one on the engine that attaches to the governor spring is as tight as I can get it w/o stripping the mount. The governor arm seems to be putting allot of pressure against the spring when you physically hold the arm at 3600rpm.

-TAZ

khouse
05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Then you'll have to take the throttle lever out and tap the rivet with a hammer. The cable clamp at the engine side of the cable is not a friction adjustment.

TAZ
05-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Then you'll have to take the throttle lever out and tap the rivet with a hammer. The cable clamp at the engine side of the cable is not a friction adjustment.

Worked like a champ!
Thanks!
-TAZ