PDA

View Full Version : Why are my valve covers leaking

pclawncare
05-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I have a 1999 walker with a 16hp kohler engine and a while back a dealer who i have never delt with was trying to get me to do more business and said he could work on walkers and i was having problems with the carb on my walker. Anyway he said he fixed the carb but 2 days later it started doing the same thing so i took it back and he was like what do you want me to do after i had already paid 50 bucks needless to say i have learned my lesson and alwayse take my walker to the walker dealer who i use exclusively now. After they worked on my mower (the other guy) my valve covers started leaking and i do not know why. I cant understand why since the only messed with the carb? Any ideas? I have herd this may be a common problem among the walker 16hp engines i just find it intersting that it just started doing this right after they worked on it.

khouse
05-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Can you post the model # of the engine. The engine is a Kohler not a Walker engine. You can take it to any proficient small engine mechanic to have the engine worked on.

pclawncare
05-03-2007, 12:34 PM
khouse i will have to look for a model but i do know it is not an origional engine it is a replacement and it is a 16hp kohler

Bill Kapaun
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
You say valve coverS, which infers it's a twin. I didn't Kohler made twins under 18 HP. (I could be wrong).
Did you snug up the screws. Torque on a single id 65 in-lbs.
Twins vary depending on the particular engine.

Does this have the heavy duty air cleaner that uses a valve cover bolt for attachment? If so, if the dealer was doing carb work.....

pclawncare
05-03-2007, 05:48 PM
It is a twin 16hp ill have to look at it i may be mistaken i got too many mowers to remember but i could have swarn that it was a kohler ill have to look later. I know it is a twin and yes it does have the donaldson or what ever air filter thats the canister and two filters to it

topsites
05-05-2007, 02:15 AM
idk but I recently removed the valve cover on my 15hp Kohler, I know they're different engines but by the same mfg, mine uses a liquid (paste) sealant make-a-gasket...

I went to Advance Auto parts and bought a small tube of:
Sensor Safe Ultra black OEM Hi-temp RTV Silicone, by Permatex

It's a small black tube, squeezed some out to form a small continuous bead and slapped it back on, perhaps yours works that way, also... You can download the Kohler's service manual from the Kohler.com web site, thou your mower's manual may show the procedure as well.

pugs
05-05-2007, 11:52 AM
You say valve coverS, which infers it's a twin. I didn't Kohler made twins under 18 HP. (I could be wrong).
Did you snug up the screws. Torque on a single id 65 in-lbs.
Twins vary depending on the particular engine.

Does this have the heavy duty air cleaner that uses a valve cover bolt for attachment? If so, if the dealer was doing carb work.....

You forget about the Triad. That may be what he has... I think that was available in 16 and 18HP. And I know they used them in Walkers.

Bill Kapaun
05-05-2007, 04:57 PM
The point was-
"Does this have the heavy duty air cleaner that uses a valve cover bolt for attachment? If so, if the dealer was doing carb work....."

If this this is the case, the dealer had to remove the air cleaner to do carb work. Valve cover bolt...air cleaner... get it?
Engine could be a YUGO!!