PDA

View Full Version : Why are all the cheap trailers made down South?

zz4guy
05-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Seems to me like all the dealers around here (Iowa) go south to Sikeston, MO, Kentucky, or some other southern state and load up on trailers and come back and sell them. WHy can they build them so much cheaper down there?

Is there some excessive trailer tax here in the northern states?

IA_James
05-03-2007, 10:54 AM
It's due to the overall lower wage rates in the south. Which is at least partially caused by the lower unionization rates down there. If you're saving $5 per hour per head, it's alot cheaper overall to make the trailer.

Birdhunter1
05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Missouri itself is not a big union state, most trailer companies in Sikeston employ either Mexicans or black folks and they aren't over highly paid. Some trailers are alright that come out of there but I have seen some stuff that I wouldn't put a 4 wheeler on that is rated for 5000 lbs. I had a 6x12 single axle tilt trailer that the A-frame for the tongue came apart... only thing it ever hauled was my neighbors zero turn Grazely, and a four wheeler (Honda Rancher 350 4wd).

I don't know why but there are 4 or 5 trailer manufacturers down there, 3 within two miles of each other. A buddy of mine and I were driving through and wondered why there wer so many deales in town, we figured one guy had the only business then pissed off an employee who then went and started his own... then that was repeated 2 or 3 more times.

justgeorge
05-05-2007, 12:39 PM
I just travelled from Ohio to Texas to pick up an irrigation trailer. I found very few manufacturers around here, and none of them were interested in any type of custom work. Finally I got tired of spending time on the phone and the internet searching and gave up and made the drive.

GreenN'Clean
05-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I think there steel is cheaper so they can produce there trailers a little cheaper then up north

stroker51
05-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I just travelled from Ohio to Texas to pick up an irrigation trailer. I found very few manufacturers around here, and none of them were interested in any type of custom work. Finally I got tired of spending time on the phone and the internet searching and gave up and made the drive.

Sounds like you found a trailer, but for future reference, I buy my trailers from Eagle Trailer Company in Lawrence, Ks. They are not the cheapest, but have no problem doing custom work and build a very high quality trailer. www.usatrailers.com

Mike33
05-05-2007, 10:57 PM
a lot of them are made in north carolina also
mike

EMJ
05-06-2007, 09:27 AM
I bought a trailer and it was shipped from the north, but then again most everything is north from here.

Rizzo
05-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Try H&H trailers. They are made in two locations here in Iowa and are high quality. They make both open and enclosed trailers and even dumps. 10 year warranty on the frame and lifetime warranty on the wood floors. I bought an 8x12 single axle steel side here in Iowa City for $1395 (with ramp gate)but I think you can get them for a bit less from other dealers. www.hhtrailer.com

IA_James
05-07-2007, 10:07 AM
H&H does build nice stuff. My "upgrade" trailer, if I ever get around to needing or being able to afford it is a 7x16 v-nose gooseneck.:cool2: