PDA

View Full Version : Septic tank collapse

MikeA
05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I live in central NJ

My house is hooked up to the city system but there is a septic tank in the yard that appears to be collapsing (the ground is caving in). Would I contact a landscaper to help fill it in or is that somebody else? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Mike

Dirty Water
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Do you know for sure its a septic tank?

Most people I know will crush up the old tank and bring in fill. It takes a big machine to do this, something an landscaper doesn't usually have (nor do you want them renting one :D )

mverick
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Here they get filled with gravel through the old hole. Only problem, there are 2 chambers. So, you fill one and half fill the other. They need to have the top busted open and filled.

Different way's to do it too. A Trackloader with a breaker on it can bust a hole in the top too. Then Fill with Gravel and top with topsoil.

MikeA
05-03-2007, 04:14 PM
I am 99% sure it is a septic. 1) the house was built in 1954 and it was on a septic system at one time 2) my neighbor has the same sink hole forming in the same exact place in her yard

What makes my problem that much harder is that it is located directly below the paver patio that I installed 2 years ago. Heavy machinery will also tear up the grass that I FINALLY have looking the way I want it. I guess I can try to remove some of the pavers and dig down to it, break the top open more if needed, get it pumped out, and fill it with gravel.

I am in a bad place right now!!!!!

Thanks for the reply though.

MikeA
05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
I am assuming this will do a good job tearing up the lawn. Is that true? What if they can't get a machine back there which might be a real possibility

mverick
05-03-2007, 04:30 PM
I am assuming this will do a good job tearing up the lawn. Is that true? What if they can't get a machine back there which might be a real possibility

The top is probably 8x10 or so. Yep, it's gonna tear up the lawn.

When you have a job that needs a machine, you find a way to get it there. No back access? If there is a fence pull it and replace when you pull it out.

Busting a hole through the pavers and filling might work. But that's a lot of gravel to haul in by hand and how you going to break it? Also, if you don't get the edges filled it will still fall. If it's collapsing a lot of city's have codes it needs to be filled. I'd call your city and see.

I know it's bad, but it needs fixed. Maybe you can get a deal with someone to do yours and your neighbors at the same time.

To save your grass rent a sod cutter and take it up. Put on a palled and water it. Then have them dig and fill and re-lay the sod the next day. The paver patio is going to have to be redone. When you fill it will still sink a little.

Sorry, but that's what I see needing to be done. If it collapses while your wife or kid is walking on it, you just lost them.

MikeA
05-03-2007, 04:39 PM
I agree 100000000% that is needs to be done and sooner than later. I was just trying to see if there was a way to do it without destroying everything and saving a couple of $$. On the bright side I will free up my weekend

Dirt Digger2
05-03-2007, 05:39 PM
its most likely a cesspool...different from a septic...call and excavation contractor that specializes in septic installation and repair. Don't call a landscaper because as its been shown above they normally don't have a clue what they're doing when it comes to sh*t work. What you can do with a cesspool is pump it out first, then bring in a backhoe and cave all the walls down into itself, smash it all with the bucket at the bottom of the hole then dump fill in with 16 inch lifts using a jumping jack tamper...it won't take long at all...i did one a few months ago when we were out installing a new system and it only took me about a half hour to dig the lid off, cave it in, fill it and watch someone else tamp it..haha

Dirt Digger2
05-03-2007, 05:42 PM
as far as tearing the yard up..if they're good it should only damage an area no bigger than the cesspool lid itself...a backhoe can easily do the job and unless your yard is wet it should't leave any big ruts

jmw5555
05-05-2007, 08:44 AM
be very carefull if it is a septic tank or a cesspool and it is caving be extremely carefull there is nothing worse than falling in while it is caveing. get someone who does this work all the time in there i would not do it yourself. this type of work can be very dangerous if you dont know what your doing. i am a septic contractor trying to bust into the lawncare because the septic work isnt too good right now.i wouldnt think it would cost much more than about 500 bucks to get it taken care of. good luck.

Dirt Digger2
05-05-2007, 11:56 AM
be very carefull if it is a septic tank or a cesspool and it is caving be extremely carefull there is nothing worse than falling in while it is caveing. get someone who does this work all the time in there i would not do it yourself. this type of work can be very dangerous if you dont know what your doing. i am a septic contractor trying to bust into the lawncare because the septic work isnt too good right now.i wouldnt think it would cost much more than about 500 bucks to get it taken care of. good luck.

500 bucks?...your gonna pay 500 bucks to get all the equipment and dirt trucked there...i dont do estimates but based on what the company works for charges here in PA i would say your probably looking at $1000-$1200 just for caving it in, backfilling, tamping, and making it look good when the job is done

1cooltreeguy
05-05-2007, 12:02 PM
My brother was walking in a back yard one day and fell 4 feet straight down into a old 30 year old cinderblock tank. POO was up to his thighs. We rolled laughing but he wasn't amused so we told him to loose weight. Good luck

Dirt Digger2
05-05-2007, 01:39 PM
My brother was walking in a back yard one day and fell 4 feet straight down into a old 30 year old cinderblock tank. POO was up to his thighs. We rolled laughing but he wasn't amused so we told him to loose weight. Good luck

i've been lowered into a pumped tank before to make a repair, but the worst thing thats ever happened to me...well theres 2...since we're talking poo here..
1) we pump sewage and have a small pump truck and a big tanker trailer at the shop, we bring the pump truck back and pump it into the trailer then take the trailer to the sewage place instead of a bunch of small pump truck loads, anyway i got done pumping and closed the valve on the very full trailer...went to take the hose connecting the truck to trailer off and it starts spraying sh*t out of the trailer, there a was small pebble in the valve that didn't allow it to close fully on the trailer...moral of the story, don't stand behind the valve when you remove the hose
2) had to put extension rings on a very full tank, dirt came off the side of the hole, splashed down and got all over my legs and a few drops on my arms...moral of the story, always pump down the tank before doing work

hope this atleast made someone laugh

1cooltreeguy
05-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Dude - That is hillarious. Too funny - I do not think I could do your JOB.

Dirt Digger2
05-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Dude - That is hillarious. Too funny - I do not think I could do your JOB.

its the type of job on "dirty jobs" as a matter of fact i think septic pumper/service man was one there very first episode...the one good thing is that i don't think i ever have to worry about being pulled over when i drive the pumper truck around

MikeA
05-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Well, I got 1 estimate and I should have 2 more today. Over the phone I was told $500 but when he came out he said $750 for the tank and $400 to redo the patio. I thought about doing the patio myself but I really don't feel like it. Besides if I did it myself it would take me a weekend and probably cost $200. For and extra $200, let somebody else have the fun

Thanks for the replies

Dirt Digger2
05-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Well, I got 1 estimate and I should have 2 more today. Over the phone I was told $500 but when he came out he said $750 for the tank and $400 to redo the patio. I thought about doing the patio myself but I really don't feel like it. Besides if I did it myself it would take me a weekend and probably cost $200. For and extra $200, let somebody else have the fun

Thanks for the replies

is it a cesspool or a septic tank?....also i don't know if he included this or not but if theres still water in there it will need to be pumped out...usually 1000 gallons is in the area of $250 to pump last time i checked our prices...i'm sure it will be different around you but not by much

cgaengineer
05-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Wonder if you can get a concrete pump and pump through the cleanout. It would take a few yards of concrete, but with a concrete pump truck there would be minimal damage to your yard. After this is done you would still have a low spot to fill under patio but minimal to no lawn damage.

I would have the tank pumped completly prior to the concrete injection.

MikeA
05-15-2007, 09:11 AM
I had it done. The guy I had do it dug down to it using a good old shovel and wheel barrowed the rock fill in. My lawn is fine. He tamped it down as he went to hopefully it won't settle and my patio won't sag. He did say if the patio sags he will come back and fix it

Thanks for all the info