PDA

View Full Version : summer LCO layoffs?!

skipwatson
08-09-2001, 01:06 AM
All is not wine & roses in the lawn biz.

http://www.msnbc.com/local/WHEC/M77311.asp

Richard Martin
08-09-2001, 04:40 AM
Maybe if they wouldn't cut the grass at 1" they would still be working.

thelawnguy
08-09-2001, 07:59 AM
That just reflects poor company management. They should have other things lined up (hedge trimming, installs, etc) to get them through the slow times.

lawrence stone
08-09-2001, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
That just reflects poor company management.

Not exactly. Maybe he has all accounts on a monthly budget plan.

Since he is not mowing he lays off the seaonals and is keeping the full timers for pruning and shearing.

He could be making more profit this month vs. a wet cool month of the year.

I know I am but it's too dam hot to even go to the beach to spend that money.

SLS
08-09-2001, 10:56 AM
This is not an uncommon occurance in Tennessee.

Due to drought:

Year 2000....6 weeks down/no cuts.

Year 1999....12 weeks down/no cuts.

Before that....don't remember-was not doing lawns for a living.

Almost every year the news programs speak of the plight of the farmers because of no rain.

Here you MUST plan for this to happen.

This year we have been extremely fortunate...as soon as it drys up and we stop mowing it starts to rain again. My records indicate that that I've only missed about 10 cutting days so far this season due to being caught up because of slow growth/no rain. And that was spread out over two periods. :)

The weather has 'flip-flopped' this year....The south has been wet and the north has been dry.

Check out the rainfall/temperature averages for Atlanta and for Minneapolis, completely reversed. WIERD!

My uncle in the Detroit area is totally freaked out as his business was less than HALF than normal for June and July due to lack of rain.

Last year it was so wet in his area that his crews were forced to wear mosquito netting!

Here, on the other hand, I've had to trim most bushes and shrubs 3 times already this season...completely unheard of for Middle Tennessee.

Haven't been able to get up to the Smokey Mountains yet this year for our usual mid-season sabatical- but I'm not complaining.

charlesw
08-09-2001, 02:51 PM
Maybe consider installing sprinkler systems when things heat up. :D

Install sprinkler
Water lawn
Grass grows
Cut again.

:cool:

1MajorTom
08-09-2001, 04:00 PM
Maybe consider installing sprinkler systems when things heat up.

Install sprinkler
Water lawn
Grass grows
Cut again.

Sounds simple, looks good on the computer screen.
BTW, how many systems have you installed?

When things dry out, it's easy to look for an "easy" way to make some money. But I just don't think irrigation is something you just "jump" into because it is dry out.

Irrigation is a skill, and should be installed by a qualified technician. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can't competently install one without some eduation first.

There are other ways to make money when it is dry out. Irrigation is not the easy answer in a middle of a drought.

Fantasy Lawns
08-09-2001, 07:55 PM
Well Said ...... lot's of guys around here "intall" em .....some are pros ...... some are laughable (20 heads on a 20x40 area ....2" above or 2" below .... or this looks like a good spot for another head )......anyways done a few my self ....... n we sub em out now ..... trencher ......design ......electican ......well driller (we drill down here .....soft sandy soil with a coquina base about 30' down) ....... to much bother for me ....... sub it ...... make 10%

BUt the REAL Problem is in most Draught Areas ......there are Water Restrictions ..... so even with a system it can be Lean & Expensive when using City Water

Stone .... Good Point on the Monthly ......we get paid by the Month ....not per cut

Thank God for Commercial Accounts ;->

guntruck
08-09-2001, 08:40 PM
Like earlier said i agree that that is partially due to poor management, if you plan for the worst and have a backup things might work out ok. Easier said than done, but we are skipping some accounts here due to the no precip status and we have other work lined up that we can now do in the meantime. I guess i am lucky because we dont have those kinds of employees though , 2 fulltime and 2 part time.

kris
08-09-2001, 11:38 PM
two words ... commercial & contract

Evan528
08-10-2001, 12:19 AM
Im extremly slow right now too! I dont beleave it has anything to do with poor managment at least in my situation. Out of 50 accounts...... 15 had a smigid speck of green so I cut them. I just rapped up my shrub trimming of all my accounts...... cant do any landscape installs with the drought conditions..... cant fertilize lawns right now....... This is nothing new to me... every August gets real slow for me. The only diffrence is that this is the first year I have a full time employee who depends on his income to feed his family. I have a couple walk ways to do and alot of relaxing! September will be here before i know along with the mountaim of work that comes along with it.

Lawn DOG
08-10-2001, 12:52 AM
Heres what I got to say. Bring on the drought baby! Just love all that money comin in when the mowers are sitting in the shop.

thelawnguy
08-10-2001, 03:41 PM
Its expensive to hire and train employees. If you have to cut em loose after a month, with little guarantee they will be there when you need them again, and not working for the competition, then its poor management, plain and simple, yearly contracts or not.