PDA

View Full Version : Scag won't stay running! PLEASE HELP!

iamthelawnbarber
05-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I have a Scag Turf Tiger ZTR 61" deck. The blades weren't working, so I changed the clutch. I tried to start it one morning and the battery was totally dead. I charged the battery & moved it to the trailer, but it cut out on me again. So I got a new battery. Now the darn thing won't stay running- it's stalling out on me. The amp meter is showing negative 1, and when I turn the blades on it goes down to minus 5. I don't know if it's a problem with the new clutch or if it's a different problem alltogether. I'm losing money here! Can't cut with it for fear that I'll stall out & won't get it started on client's property. Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!
Also, I bought a back up Exmark 25hp Kohler. The darn thing is slow as heck. Are they usually slower than a Scag or did I get a bum mower?
Thanks!

khouse
05-03-2007, 08:50 PM
When you get it running what is the battery voltage at full throttle? You may have a stator or rectifier/regulator problem. Post back with your voltage and we'll go from there.

iamthelawnbarber
05-03-2007, 09:04 PM
At full throttle the amp is minus 1. It runs for a little while and then it stalls. It will start right up again, but only run a few minutes before stalling again.

khouse
05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm talking the voltage across the battery terminals at full throttle.

Restrorob
05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm talking the voltage across the battery terminals at full throttle.

If I may add; With a multimeter set on volts, Not with the unit's amp gauge ?

iamthelawnbarber
05-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi,
I put the volt meter on-it shows 12 at full throttle. The mower only stalls when I'm cutting. I took it to a small engine repair shop & the guy tested the charging system. He narrowed it down for me. He said there is no charge below the rectifier. So the rectifier is ok, but below that there is a problem. He said it could be the alternator or a wiring problem. There is a black box that he didn't know what it was for-possibly electric ignition-he said that box isn't on the smaller lawn tractors he's used to working on.
So...how hard is it to change the alternator?? Anybody have any advice? It's a little over $100 bucks for a new one, but I can't wait for the local dealer to check this out-2 & 1/2 week back log. Does anyone know if they have repair manuals for these mowers? I asked the dealer-they said they don't make them.
Does it sound like the alternator or do you guys think it could be something else?
Thanks for the help!

khouse
05-05-2007, 02:59 PM
When you mention the black box it sounds like you have a Kohler Command on it? What is the make and model of the engine?
Also by telling us that you just have 12 volts across the battery tells us it's not charging correctly. Sounds like the mechanic didn't know how to trouble shoot your problem.
There is a rectifier/regulator mounted in your blower housing. There are 3 wires on it. With the key in the on position do you have battery voltage on the center terminal?
With the engine running at full throttle and your volt meter set to (A/C VOLTS) what is your reading when you test across the 2 OUTER terminals? Post back with your findings. Then we can help you out further.

iamthelawnbarber
05-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi,
First-I have a Kawasaki 22HP motor engine #FD620D-forgot to mention that before. There are actually 6 wires, not three coming off the rectifier. I used a volt meter with AC 200 setting. With the key on-center terminal showed 26.2 (on the top row of wires). The outer 2 reading is 36.8 (on the bottom row of wires).
Thanks!

wall
05-05-2007, 06:53 PM
What is the serial no. of your mower and which engine do you have. You can download the Manual for your mower at the Scag website. There is a wiring schematic at the end of the parts diagrams

Restrorob
05-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't believe you will find these in the Scag manual....

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FD620DStatorTest.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FD620DRegulatorTest.jpg

Good Luck

iamthelawnbarber
05-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Thank you everybody for your replies. It turns out it was a burnt wire & fuse on the control panel. Just dumb luck that I found it! That must be the cheapest fix I ever had! Thanks again for all your help!

khouse
05-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Now you have to figure out how it burnt. That way it won't happen again.