PDA

View Full Version : De-Rating weight on trailers

srl28
05-03-2007, 09:22 PM
:waving: Im trying to find out if I can easily de-rate my trailer (currently registered at 9990lbs) to about 8000 lbs. I have a truck that is rated at 18,000 and with the almost 10k trailer, I'm up and over the 26,001 combined weight limit for not needing a cdl. How can I do this? Re-Register??? Any body have any ideas :hammerhead: Thanks

Fatboy
05-04-2007, 01:48 AM
De-rating a trailer isn't going to do you much good if a LEO wants to look at the axles, wheels, and tires to determine that the trailer can have a higher gvw than that listed on the registration. That's not to say that you can put a higher rated tire on a trailer but the axles and wheels will tell the story. Also the heavier construction will be a tip off too. Sometimes trying to circumvent the laws can cost a lot more than compliance in the first place.

srl28
05-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I've heard that this is not a problem to do, and de-rating it only limits you to carry whatever so long as it is within that rating, regardless of what the trailer is built like. Maybe I've heard wrong but there has to be a way to do this. Thanks Fatboy

mini14
05-04-2007, 10:22 PM
u r better off re-reging with lower weight and if caught pay that puny fine instead of an unlicensed operater ticket.

Fatboy
05-04-2007, 10:44 PM
But, if you get weighed and exceed the magic 26,000 LBS GCVW and don't have the correct license then not only will you pay the puny fine for the incorrect registration but they will prevent you from continuing until a driver with the correct license is behind the wheel. Plus there will be a fine for operating the vehicle without the required license.
You wouldn't believe how fast these things can go from bad to worse.

bonerigo.1
05-05-2007, 12:41 AM
In ohio you can have a <10000 gvw trailer and <25999 truck and be okay. I have a 21750 international and a 9950 trailer and I do not need a cdl. Most landscapers will use this setup because you can get the most hauling for your buck. If my truck were greater than 25999 gvw than I need a cdl A. Also if the trailer I use is greater than 10000 gvw I need a cdl A.

Ramairfreak98ss
05-05-2007, 11:59 PM
if my truck is 8k or less and im pulling a trailer that is 4k empty but can hold 15k weight... has a 19k gvwr rating, that doesnt mean in jersey that your overweight... you ARE overweight if you have it filled to capacity though... my truck is registered for 19k.... yet if i pulled my dump trailer with a 12k rating, im not over because its not filled.

TGM
05-06-2007, 09:23 AM
26,000+lbs = truck gvw PLUS trailer gvw, not seperate.
i know contractors who have their 1 ton trucks factory/dealer derated to fit underneath the dot laws...totally legal, just can't haul as much.

my truck is 11k (registered for twenty to cover TOTAL gvw) and my trailer is only 7k which equals 18k total weight i can pull. unfortunately my father just went through this crap and had to put dot #'s on his truck. nh dot enforeces federal rules.

srl28
05-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Sooooo. All this and I'm still not sure what is right and wrong, Maybe I'd benefit from having another trailer and just buy one that is tagged from the factory at 7k.

TGM
05-08-2007, 10:53 PM
call the dot/state police and ask questions...they may have classes teaching people about the laws (for free in nh).

Turf Dancer
05-10-2007, 04:50 AM
Call your DMV to make sure. I was checking on trailer licensing fees before I bought my enclosed and the lady at DMV told me that if I had a trailer with a rating 10K or over I needed to put truck plates on my F250 and also get a class A CDL!

Greybeard
05-10-2007, 08:39 AM
This subject has been beaten to death here. You need to find the NJ truck rules. I'd start with the state troopers. You may or may not get the right answer from a local cop. If NJ follows the federal DOT guidelines, you can drive a 26,000 lb. GVW truck and pull a 10,000 lb. GVW trailer with a passenger car license. Go 1 pound over on either one, and you need a CDL.
Those weight limits are the ones printed on the manufacturer's plate. Doesn't matter if the truck or trailer is empty, and registering at a lower number doesn't change it, either. Otherwise everybody would cheat.
If you cross state lines with anything bigger than a pickup, you'll need a USDOT number. It's free, but involves some paperwork.
Not every state follows the federal rules - New York, for instance, has lower limits, but can only enforce them for NY residents. I can drive my 26,000 truck into NY from MA, but if I lived there I'd need a CDL. The system is confusing, with different rules in different states. You need to get the NJ laws, in print if possible. I carry a copy of our state police Commercial Vehicle Guide in my dump truck, because not every town cop has the rules at his fingertips. Good luck.

YellowDogSVC
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
:waving: Im trying to find out if I can easily de-rate my trailer (currently registered at 9990lbs) to about 8000 lbs. I have a truck that is rated at 18,000 and with the almost 10k trailer, I'm up and over the 26,001 combined weight limit for not needing a cdl. How can I do this? Re-Register??? Any body have any ideas :hammerhead: Thanks

That's standard around here. The guys around here have new fords rated at 13k and buy a 20k rated trailer and haul a Bobcat. No CDL, No commercial insurance, and no DOT stickers.
I was in the same dilemma as you. I had my trailer dealer petition for me to get a new sticker from manufacturer then send that to DOT for a new registration. Worked out well. Just to be safe, I rated 50 lbs. below CDL on combined weight rating though I am still 4k lbs under cdl with a full load.