PDA

View Full Version : sick of annual bluegrass

mkroher
05-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Has anyone successfully controlled this annoying/ugly piece of crap? Does a pre-emergent app early fall really work? Or does it take round-up and an overseed?

ProLawns
05-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm sick of it too. I tried Dimension in August then seeding the first of Oct. I noticed a reduction in Poa but the fescue came in a lot thinner. I discovered that in the transition zone Poa germinates in Sept and March. My plan next year is to spray to apps of Pro Grass, one in Oct. and one six weeks later and get my pre-em down early Feb. I'm also bagging some to collect the seeds but there's no way to get them all.

mow2nd
05-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Put down some Deminsion around mid August and do your aerating and seeding in October. This should control it.............good luck

mkroher
05-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Prolawns: up here.. we could have snow in February. I think my best bet would be to round-up selected areas before the first cut, and seed in the fall. hah..I just read the acclaim label praying for a miracle annual bluegrass would be on there. I dunno, my customers don't know the difference, they probably think it's just "grass".

lilmarvin4064
05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
You could try some Proxy. It will supress seedheads. timing will be critical though.

upidstay
05-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Cut tall (3-3 1/2"), aerate every year, manage pH (6.8 or so), apply pre-emergant in spring, and again in september or so. If it stays warm, another in end of october couldn't hurt either. There is a product called Certainty out now. $$ but supposed to work great.

tremor
05-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Certainty is weak on Poa Annua. I tried it. It does a great job eliminating Poa Trivialis & Perennial Ryegrass though.

Callisto is an Agriculture herbicide that was tested on Bluegrass & did a good job at eliminating Poa as well as Crabgrass. Not labeled for residential lawns yet though. Per gallon price was over $550 though the rate was low as I recall. Tough nut for an illegal test!

tremor
05-04-2007, 11:22 PM
3-7.7 oz per acre.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld56N005.pdf

I don't see Poa on the label but then again Callisto is a corn herbicide so...

mkroher
05-05-2007, 08:11 AM
upidstay: 3 apps of pre-m a year? I would think that would bad for the roots of desired turf. Also, I think there is a maximum amount you can apply per year according to the label. I'll have to double check that.

greentree
05-06-2007, 08:59 PM
We use Prograss on fescue in the fall with good success.... 2 apps around thanksgiving. Works well since we seed in the fall and cannot use a preemergent.

NC State University has a recommendation on their website.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/news/weeds/POAintallFescue_Alert.htm