PDA

View Full Version : clicking in walkbehind transmisson

BrandonLawns
05-04-2007, 12:14 AM
I have a 48" Bob Cat gear driven walk behind. the forth and second gear is not working like it should. When engaging in the gears it makes a clicking sound. It will pop in gear for a few seconds then stops and the clicking sound will come back. Is this fixable or do I need a transmission?

Restrorob
05-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Sounds like the shift keys #14 are worn and or the mating surface inside of 2nd and 4th gears.

Repair/Replace would depend on the condition of the rest of the trans, Other gears, bushings, input shaft bearings and chain.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/PeerlessTransBreak-down.jpg

pugs
05-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Yah, probably time for a new trans there.

BrandonLawns
05-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks for input Restrorob. do you know how much a new transmission would run me?

Jason Pallas
05-05-2007, 01:26 AM
They're about 150-200 - you can get them at jthomas distributors

topsites
05-05-2007, 01:59 AM
The first thing I would check is the outer splines (the couplings), especially if you got the fine spline (36 spline) axles, make sure they're not shearing... I know it sounds odd but strangely enough they don't always slip in every gear, and even if that's not it, it's the easy check to do.

Also, if the tranny gets hot, it could be a worn spindle / idler bearing in one of the pulleys, the heat then goes through the belt into the tranny, again for some stupid reason it can and will act up only in some gears... I suspect it has to do with torque, but definitely another check is make sure all the pulleys up underneath are solid, and I would guess you've checked the belt for wear and proper tension...

Beyond that what I did is swapped trannies (yes, order new one), then keep the old one and tear into it later to find what it needs... In most cases, $20 - $50 of parts fixes it, then you always have a spare handy for next time, don't forget to get some of that special grease, I think it's bentonite.

Mark in MD
05-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Beyond that what I did is swapped trannies (yes, order new one), then keep the old one and tear into it later to find what it needs... In most cases, $20 - $50 of parts fixes it, then you always have a spare handy for next time, don't forget to get some of that special grease, I think it's bentonite.Seconded......