PDA

View Full Version : problem with a inline valve

bayaa
05-04-2007, 12:14 AM
I just installed three rain bird inline valves for a customer, only problem i am having is that it wont turn on from the timer . i hear the solenoid hum it will turn on by the bleeder valve but when you turn the solenoid it takes almost 360 degree turn for it to open, where the two turn on at 45 degree turn. Does anybody know what the problem is?

Dirty Water
05-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Let me guess.

Its a glued in slip valve?

Take off solinoid and stick a markling flag down the small vent hole in the side (not the one directly under the solinoid).

You've probably got a tiny bit of glue in there.

PurpHaze
05-04-2007, 09:05 AM
While you're at it check the solenoid seat/plunger/etc. for debris.

bayaa
05-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I took everything apart cleaned it all switch solenoids from a test working valves and still wont come on by the timer or the solenoid when turn 1/4 turn.

londonrain
05-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Try replacing the entire top of the valve with a new top/solenoid/diaphragm. I have seen a few valves that would not work regardless what was changed until the entire valve was replaced...it is rare but I have seen it....good luck

HVC
05-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Try putting one of the "Good" coils on the "Bad' valve. You may have a bad coil? Check voltage output at the control panel.

Bigred350
05-07-2007, 10:29 PM
You have over glued the joints. Only way to fix this is to cut out the valves and put new ones in. WHen glueing the valves only put a small amount around the edge of the joint and then on the pipe.

Dirty Water
05-07-2007, 10:38 PM
I swear to God, all that overglueing does is clog the solinoid exhaust port.

Clean it out, and the valve will work.

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 11:40 PM
We had to replace a PVC ball valve today on one of the baseball fields where we'd installed it to fire sprinklers for the infield clay areas. Seems I originally got a little primer/glue on the ball and it distorted, allowing a trickle of water to weep by the valve. We've purchase threaded PVC ball valves and we'll use SCH 80 nipples in the future on them so primer/glue will be farther from the valve.

Dirty Water
05-07-2007, 11:47 PM
We had to replace a PVC ball valve today on one of the baseball fields where we'd installed it to fire sprinklers for the infield clay areas. Seems I originally got a little primer/glue on the ball and it distorted, allowing a trickle of water to weep by the valve. We've purchase threaded PVC ball valves and we'll use SCH 80 nipples in the future on them so primer/glue will be farther from the valve.

We never had that great of success with those all PVC ball valves anyways, hence the switch to brass Ford ball valves.

PurpHaze
05-08-2007, 12:11 AM
We never had that great of success with those all PVC ball valves anyways, hence the switch to brass Ford ball valves.

We've tried brass ball valves in the past with not much luck. Handle nuts removed, broken handles, stripped spindles, rusted, etc.

Dirty Water
05-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Thats why I like Ford valves. Curbstop style handle, so it can't be removed, and no non-brass parts to rust.

PurpHaze
05-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Thats why I like Ford valves. Curbstop style handle, so it can't be removed, and no non-brass parts to rust.

The curb stop is the last resort but there are two drawbacks. (1) They'd need a key to turn it on/off and with multiple users this isn't practical. (2) At today's brass prices I could replace them 4-1 if necessary with PVC ball valves. (We're talking 2" and 3" sizes.) :)