PDA

View Full Version : 9 HP briggs won't stay running

steveair
08-09-2001, 06:32 AM
hello,

I just picked up a coleman generator with a 9hp B&S vanguard and want to know if you may have any advice.

The engine starts right up, runs fine for about 2 minutes, then just dies. If you play with the choke a little, you can keep it running for a while, but eventually it dies and then will not start at all.

I think its a fuel problem of some sort, but not sure what. It had a brand new carb put on last year, ran excellent for a while, but then had the same problem again.

Also, it appears gas slowly drips somewhere out of the carb, but not sure where.

I got the generator for free, so just want to see if I can't fix it up and get some use out of it.

I know one of the problems is that it sits for a long time between uses, and I'm sure the carb is mucked up again.

Any advice appreciated.

steveair

Fish
08-09-2001, 08:37 AM
One quick thing to check is the valve clearances and the rocker
arm studs for looseness. I have seen problems with Vanguards
in this area.
Fish

SMB
08-10-2001, 10:24 PM
Check all gas filters, the gas cap, clean the carb, and put in a rebuild kit. This should fix it--for less than $20. Also, be sure there isn't any gas in the crankcase from the needle not seating well, we ruined an engine this way!

SMB
08-10-2001, 10:26 PM
Also check the shrouding for rats' nests, they can cause your engine to overheat, yep, had that happen too!

Robert Doubrava
08-31-2001, 11:38 PM
you might want to check the fuel line for cracks or holes.