PDA

View Full Version : clover killer

mrkosar
05-04-2007, 10:07 AM
which herbicide works better on clover, but is similar to price with 3-way?

i know i can get speedzone, redzone, momentum, etc...but they are more expensive. any close in price, but more effective?

JFF
05-04-2007, 10:32 AM
3-way (2-4-d) always worked for me. Ya just have to scuff the surface of the clover with your shoe. Sounds silly but it works.

muddstopper
05-04-2007, 12:18 PM
This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it sure suprised me.
Last week I was getting in my last fertilization for my own yard before the summer heat. I used my hydroseeder to mix up the fertilizer and lime I was going to apply and decided to mix in 2oz of Agrispon bio-stimulant to help the microbes a little bit. I applied this to about 18000 sqft. Last nite, (after being away for a week) when I got home I noticed a brown tint to my lawn. All the clover looked to be bitten and dieing. Now I had no intentions of killing the clover and I had fertilized in this manner for years without seeing this type of reaction. The only difference was the addition of Agrispon. Is this an effective way to kill clover, I cant say, but it looks like it is working. Agrispon is a completely organic bio stimulant and is not labeld as a herbicide. MSDS claim you can injest large quantities without a reaction, but it looks like it does a number on clover. I plan on calling the manufacturer to find out what exactly is going on. Some of the other weeds also look a little bitten, but I havent seen anything negative with the fescue grass. Anyways at $50 for 10 acres worth of coverage, its a lot cheaper than conventional herbicides, now if I can just get them to do something about this labeling thingy.

Disclaimer
Dont try this if you have bermuda or zoyzia grasses, Agrispon does a number on most warm season grasses according to the manufacturers trials, (Fungus problems) but is supposed to work wonders on fescues. I really, really, really, recommend you do your homework before you buy any of this stuff. And I certainly am not going to apply anymore to my own lawn until I find out the exact reasons for what I am seeing.

fall46
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Has anyone ever mixed Tricclopyr in a little spray bottle like (like an old lyscol bottle) Scotts has the concentrate Clover Chickweeed & Oxalils killer, but they say to mix 2 tbs per gallon. How much for a little spray bottle? Any ideas?

shaneb
05-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Adding a little Octane (new herbicide from SePRO) at 1.5 oz. per acre to your 3-way has shown really good results here in Indy.

upidstay
05-04-2007, 05:10 PM
A very good, cheap clover killer is Lesco Eliminate-D. Used to be called Bentgrass Select. Smoke clover, and it's cheap.

Neal Wolbert
05-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Has Ohio banned chlorpyralid (Confront)? If not, it's the best, hands down. Dow's Spotlight is very good too.

Neal

indyturf
05-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Confront is only labeled for commercial properties now, but that was the best for clover! I used to just spike my 3-way with a few ounces and it worked great!

Grassworks Inc.
05-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Get some straight MCPP amine and spike your 3way with .25oz./K of the MCPP and add some spreader-sticker. The key to clover control is to spread the herbicide over the leaf. It has a tendency to bead up on clover.

lawn king
05-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Drive kicks butt on clover, but its not cheap.

teeca
05-05-2007, 09:35 AM
also, after killing it, get on a good fert program, N will help surpress the clover.

mow2nd
05-05-2007, 12:05 PM
992 works or Surge

muddstopper
05-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Just an update on my earlier post about the Agrispon and clover. It started raining and the clover has kicked into high gear, doesnt look like the Agrispon killed the clover after all.

Rcgm
05-10-2007, 11:31 PM
3-way (2-4-d) always worked for me. Ya just have to scuff the surface of the clover with your shoe. Sounds silly but it works.

Not silly at all.I spray it with 3 way rub my boot back and fourth on a big patch of clover and hit it again works every time.Now if you have a whole yard full of it you are going to get a good work out LOL.

RCGM
Brad

ThreeWide
05-12-2007, 09:19 AM
From what I've seen, most the broadleaf herbicides will control clover. The key elements in efficacy are surfactant and droplet size.

Italysfinest327
05-29-2007, 09:41 PM
i began using speedzone earlier this year for dandelion, and it has worked well, i used to use super trimec for clover last year and that also worked well. my question being since i am new to landscaping im in my second year, what would you recomend to get best results as far as controling weeds, and allowing new grass to fill in, i hav been spraying for the past couple of weeks, and am getting ready for my second fertilizer application along with insecticide, i believe im going to use lesco fertilizer with talstar mixed in. Do you think if i continue to spot treat now, that when i apply fertilizer in 2 weeks, it will allow new grass to grow in, my biggest fear is sparying now, and then leaving too many dead spots on the lawn that the fertilizer wont green the lawn again. Or should i wait to spot spray another 2 weeks, and spray and fertilize in one session? Please any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

EdTLawn
05-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Will overseeding get rid of the clovers over time ?

ampeg76
05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
i began using speedzone earlier this year for dandelion, and it has worked well, i used to use super trimec for clover last year and that also worked well. my question being since i am new to landscaping im in my second year, what would you recomend to get best results as far as controling weeds, and allowing new grass to fill in, i hav been spraying for the past couple of weeks, and am getting ready for my second fertilizer application along with insecticide, i believe im going to use lesco fertilizer with talstar mixed in. Do you think if i continue to spot treat now, that when i apply fertilizer in 2 weeks, it will allow new grass to grow in, my biggest fear is sparying now, and then leaving too many dead spots on the lawn that the fertilizer wont green the lawn again. Or should i wait to spot spray another 2 weeks, and spray and fertilize in one session? Please any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

watch soil and ambient temps, as well as mix rates, you should not be leaving dead spots after spot treating for weeds:(

americanlawn
05-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Triclopyr seems to be recommended by our chemical reps. Don't know if it's sold as a separate product?? We use 'Chaser' (2-4D + triclopyr), and it knocks it out nicely. Trick is to move your spray gun back & forth rapidly to give complete coverage, but a fine mist is best. 2 ounces per gallon in a battery-powered back sprayer is the situation I like. Big properties = tank mix it or use a ride-on. Amines don't seem to kill it all.

Italysfinest327
05-30-2007, 06:34 PM
watch soil and ambient temps, as well as mix rates, you should not be leaving dead spots after spot treating for weeds:(

ok, ive been spraying the last of the houses this week, and when i refer to dead spots i mean, say there is a patch of clover, once its sprayed that spot will be dead, and im just curious to make sure that once i fertilize will the new grass begin to grow through the dead patch of clover that once was?