PDA

View Full Version : Crab Grass Help Needed

cbarone
05-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Hello,

I have a crabgrass problem and need a good post emergent solutions without harming existing grass. Recently I have planted alot of new grass in certain areas while adding alot of top soil with fertilizer/crab grass preventer.

I have read about Ortho Weed-B-Gon Crabgrass Killer, Concentrate with mixed reviews.

How would you recommend wiping out existing crabgrass and keeping it gone?

Thanks,

Chris B.

CrazyJ
05-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Since you are already categorizing it as a "problem", I'm thinking it's too late for just Dimension alone, which has limited post-emergence effectiveness.

Spray some MSMA on the existing stuff. May take a couple of applications. You can usually find "Image" or some off-brand at Home Depot.

Also put down Dimension ASAP. Some of the crabgrass will be young enough for this to control it. Home Depot should sell bags of Lesco fert w/ Dimension.

Nathan Robinson
05-04-2007, 04:28 PM
DRIVE! Go to lesco and get some Drive. Spot spray it and if you have tall fescue try to limit your overspray. Surely your crabgrass isnt reaaly big plants yet?????

indyturf
05-04-2007, 05:49 PM
are you sure what you are seeing is crabgrass? its early to see it in your area. a lot of people confuse tall fescue with crabgrass! if thats the case you can spot treat it with round up and reseed.

mow2nd
05-04-2007, 06:04 PM
It's probably Dallis grass, too early for crab grass. They took MSMA off the shelf in our area, but use DRIVE, u can't go wrong with DRIVE.

tremor
05-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Tall Fescue maybe? There is no way Crabgrass is a visible problem in PA right now.

Chris, Is this your own lawn?

MOW ED
05-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Hello,

I have a crabgrass problem and need a good post emergent solutions without harming existing grass. Recently I have planted alot of new grass in certain areas while adding alot of top soil with fertilizer/crab grass preventer.

Chris,
Read up on Drive as stated but what did you use as a crabgrass preventer. The reason I ask is that the mechanism of some crabgrass preventer/preemergent is to prevent ALL seeds from germinating. If you seeded and have used this in correct concentration you probably wasted your time on the seeding and it will have to be redone. Go back and read the lable of the product used. Newly established crabgrass is easily taken care of after the fact. Even 2 tiller stuff ain't bad with DRIVE. Good Luck.

turfsolutions
05-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Its not crabgrass you are seeing right now. Apply your pre emergant at split intervals (early spring and late spring). As for what you are seeing, how about some pictures so it can be id'd properly.

cbarone
05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
I am pretty sure its crabgrass or maybe Dallis grass. I have a new property and put down alot of new topsoil. Would this cause crab grass or Dallis grass?

How do you get rid of Dallis grass?

Thanks,

Chris

bntt68
05-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Did you use straw for the new seed you put down?

tremor
05-08-2007, 12:11 AM
According to the USDA there is no Dallis grass in PA.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PADI3

Recommending the use a weed grass herbicide like Drive is irresponsible since we might be dealing with a perennial grass. We need pictures or a positive ID from a credible source to make an accurate recommendation.

Please bring a sample of this "weed" to a local cooperative extension agent & do NOT take any of the advice you've been given here YET.

mkroher
05-08-2007, 09:08 PM
sounds like annual ryegrass to me.