PDA

View Full Version : Job we just did! Look @ the HEDGE!!

1cooltreeguy
05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Here is a job one of the crews just completed. Look @ the Hedge we removed!! Also removed 10 or 12 dead trees and trimmed up others, cut the yard - just had to get it cleaned up ALOT! How old do you think the Russian Olive Hedge is? How about the Magnolia? Sorry about all the pics!!

1cooltreeguy
05-04-2007, 01:33 PM
More pics----------

1cooltreeguy
05-04-2007, 01:35 PM
& some more-------------

1cooltreeguy
05-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Ok - starting to get closer

1cooltreeguy
05-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I think we are going to finish---

1cooltreeguy
05-04-2007, 01:40 PM
:walking: Getting there-

1cooltreeguy
05-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Thats it - I think:clapping: :clapping:

FATWEASEL
05-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Awesome job! That's one of those situations where you drive past a place for years and then one day you're like, "Where'd that come from?".:confused:

Not a bad looking place when it's all cleaned up. How long did that take and how many people?

Andy :)

Youngbeginner
05-04-2007, 04:53 PM
What a HUGE change! WOW! Looks good.

1cooltreeguy
05-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Awesome job! That's one of those situations where you drive past a place for years and then one day you're like, "Where'd that come from?".:confused:

Not a bad looking place when it's all cleaned up. How long did that take and how many people?

Andy :)

Took 18 billable hours. We have done work for the man who just bought this property before. So, He calls us up and says "Go do your thing". We go do our thing. 3 men per hour that is.

PatriotLandscape
05-04-2007, 08:28 PM
18 man hours? You made quick work of that. Do you not round up your days? We bill a full day if we can't go to do another job in that same day.

ed2hess
05-04-2007, 09:18 PM
You did a great job....hope you do landscape or walls because they will need some noise abatment soon.

paponte
05-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Wow, there was a house on that property huh?!? Looks good, BIG difference. :)

1cooltreeguy
05-05-2007, 08:49 AM
18 man hours? You made quick work of that. Do you not round up your days? We bill a full day if we can't go to do another job in that same day.

Well - when I said 18 hours. I meant that there were 3 men X's 18 so it would actually be 54 single man hours. Sorry if I did not make it clear. When we cant fill afull day with a 2nd job close, we go to the shop and work on broken things, and maintenance. Which we have plenty of. Between oil changes and lawn crews that tear things up - we have our hands full.

topsites
05-05-2007, 09:24 AM
That's wild, I almost never get jobs like that... Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever done one. It's either so big that it would tie up too many resources for too long, or the folks calling me with that kind of a hedge were thinking, you know, couple of hundred'ish...

I had a similar one 2-3 years ago, just a hedge. Only about half as grown but there were two rows, I quoted 1,400 and thought they were going to have a heart attack, customer said they were thinking 3-400 tops heheh... Granted, I think I could've done it for less, absolute lowest somewhere in the 700-1000 range, but once you deal with such a monster one time you know you have to get paid and there's never no telling just how long it's going to take for real, other than it's a LOT of work and you know you're not sticking your neck out there.

Nice chipper.

green horizons
05-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Landscape changes like that are stunning. It's hard to get your head and hands "around" a job like that, given the scope. The road looked wide, thus busy I'm sure. That alone would jack up the stress level for me. Great work.

1cooltreeguy
05-05-2007, 10:40 AM
That's wild, I almost never get jobs like that... Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever done one. It's either so big that it would tie up too many resources for too long, or the folks calling me with that kind of a hedge were thinking, you know, couple of hundred'ish...

I had a similar one 2-3 years ago, just a hedge. Only about half as grown but there were two rows, I quoted 1,400 and thought they were going to have a heart attack, customer said they were thinking 3-400 tops heheh... Granted, I think I could've done it for less, absolute lowest somewhere in the 700-1000 range, but once you deal with such a monster one time you know you have to get paid and there's never no telling just how long it's going to take for real, other than it's a LOT of work and you know you're not sticking your neck out there.

Nice chipper.

Thanks Topsites - The area we live in we get jobs like this all the time. Kinda weird. Not as tall or wide or long perhaps but we rarely walk up to a customer - quote the job and have them fall out in convulsions over the price. It happens, but they say - "Well, we need to get a few more prices" or something like that.

paolaken
05-06-2007, 07:00 PM
you should have called mike rowe and dirty jobs to come help with that one.

Plant Buyer 83
05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
What a difference. Looks great man, nice work.

1cooltreeguy
05-07-2007, 07:45 PM
you should have called mike rowe and dirty jobs to come help with that one.

Dude - that is a great Idea - Next time. :dancing: :clapping:

DBL
05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
thats an awesome job it just added so much value to that house

Mr. Vern
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Great transformation!
I gotta ask though - in post #4, is that a boom truck reaching out with a man in it? From that photo it sure looks precarious to say the least. It looks like the guy on the bobcat should be able to catch him in the bucket when he tips it over though.LOL
Nice work!

1cooltreeguy
05-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Great transformation!
I gotta ask though - in post #4, is that a boom truck reaching out with a man in it? From that photo it sure looks precarious to say the least. It looks like the guy on the bobcat should be able to catch him in the bucket when he tips it over though.LOL
Nice work!

Yes it is a bucket truck and guess who it is? It is EMBARQ!! We called in a favor on short notice and they sent this guy to protect their Fiber optic line. We have a much heavier and bigger bucket truck but they were eager to help. At first they told us 2 weeks but by the end of the cnoversation they promised a man for a whole day tomorrow @ 8 am. FREE - Awesome - PROLLY cuz they said that if anything were to happen to the Fiber optic line it would cost us $1,000 an hour until it was repaired. I thought the same thing when he parked on that Swell.:dizzy:

DeepMudRancher
05-08-2007, 10:13 PM
all i can say is wow....thats a lot of woodchips if you chipped everything up...haha

David Hartzog
05-08-2007, 11:11 PM

looks good! my house used to be hidden like that. one side was compleatly covered with noxious weeds. lot a work, good job.

1cooltreeguy
05-11-2007, 07:32 AM
all i can say is wow....thats a lot of woodchips if you chipped everything up...haha

Thanks, and we did not chip the hedge - WE BURNED it. Ha - It went away fast. Chipping it would have been a struggle. Too wirey.:rolleyes:

Stuttering Stan
05-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Hope you cleared about 10K for that job. Looks nice

Nik_Danger
05-12-2007, 03:34 AM
I'd have set fire to it standing...:waving:

1cooltreeguy
05-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Hope you cleared about 10K for that job. Looks nice

Ha - Portsomuth VA - Maybe I need to come to work up there if that is what you would have cleared? You have no idea what tree companies are working for down here. Competition is keeping the price tooooooo low. I.E. - Bid a job 2 days ago @ $725 for 2 pines removed that would have taken a crew of 3 - two hours to complete. Real close to our shop (5 min.). Tha man calls me back and asks if we could do it complete and finished for $175 cuz that was another bid he got? HUH - I asked? DO they have all the proper insurance, WC, Liab.,? He says - good question. But he acted like I was trying to gouge him. We have guys working out of the back of their toyotas and they use a Wild Thing - Poulan - All they are doing is driving the price in the ground trying to put food on their table. Guess Again?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Idealtim
05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I remember the thread about your shop and all your equipment and now I know why you need all of it - to tackle jobs like this I guess. Great job on the renovation, too.

1cooltreeguy
05-15-2007, 07:50 PM
I remember the thread about your shop and all your equipment and now I know why you need all of it - to tackle jobs like this I guess. Great job on the renovation, too.

Thanks for the comment. You know - we are at the point where we can either turn around and downsize and improve proffit % per job or just keep growing(out of Control) where proffits are shrinking daily with employees that tear everthing up and we have to have 2 mechanics to work full time @ the shop. I am sooooo tire and it is only MAY 15th. Go figure.

Idealtim
05-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the comment. You know - we are at the point where we can either turn around and downsize and improve proffit % per job or just keep growing(out of Control) where proffits are shrinking daily with employees that tear everthing up and we have to have 2 mechanics to work full time @ the shop. I am sooooo tire and it is only MAY 15th. Go figure.

Sounds like your not having good luck finding honest labor, and that sucks on so many different levels. Imo downsizing may be the smartest move at this point. I'm deffinately not telling you what to do but just imagine your company's overhead cut in half, laying off ******* employees, and mabey liquidating some equip for extra cash. I've talked to others that have downsized and say the decrease in daily headaches alone was worth it. Just my 2 cents.