PDA

View Full Version : wiring help

steve9410
05-04-2007, 02:37 PM
I am replacing a Kawasaki FH680V-ASo5 23HP engine with a Kohler CV730s 25HP and am trying to figure out the wiring. The mower has a selenoid attached on the chasis similar to a Ford. But the Kaw I took out had a different style starter witout the selenoid attached. The new motor has a selenoid mounted on the starter. Do I still need the chasis mounted selenoid? Also there are 2 wires out of several on the connector coming out of the new Kohler, orange and red, they are together into the same port on the connector. What is there purpose? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

ChadsLawn
05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I can answer that you wont need the second solenoid. Sorry I cant answer anymore..

Restrorob
05-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Hmmm, No orange wire listed. Not sure about that one, It may be best to trace them back and see where they go.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/CVTwinWireDiagram.jpg

steve9410
05-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks alot for the help. I can just connect the 2 small wires that went to the chassis mounted selenoid together then, right. I'll have to take the new motor apart to trace the wires. Thanks for the schematic, but it must be for an older motor. I have the Kohler Command 25hp with a 2 row electric connector.

Bill Kapaun
05-07-2007, 02:30 AM
Could your Orange wire actually be Yellow?
Yellow is used for headlights (70W)

Restrorob
05-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I can just connect the 2 small wires that went to the chassis mounted selenoid together then, right.

DO NOT hook these two wires together, One is the safety switch ground side and the other is the positive feed wire for start position on the ignition switch. Doing so could fry the whole harness and possibly switches when turning the key to the start position.

Disconnect both wires and with a multimeter or test light check each for power when the key is in start position. Which ever one that has power extend it to reach the small male spade on the new starter solenoid, Tape the other and leave.

This is the only other wire diagram I can locate, Again no orange wire. Without seeing the engine in question I'm a little lost.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/CV730WireDiagram.jpg

steve9410
05-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I did like you suggested and traced the wires back. Had to cut the rubber off the harness all the way back as more wires were coming out than going into the harness. My surprise was the orange wire that I questioned was a jumper connnecting the one red wire with the violet one in the connector. On the motor the red goes to the carb and the violet goes to what I think is a rectifier. Then in the harness the red is split into 2 wires with a resistor on each one. On the connector ports, the wires go in as follows. Red&orange, then Violet&orange, then white, then red&blue, then green which is for an oil sensor which is not used. I know the re&blue go to the wire coming from the front I labeled carb, and the white goes to the white coming from the front for the kill on the coils. I have a yellow that goes to the old selonoid witch I assume is the safety that won't be used. What I have left is the one violet coming from the front, and the extra wire on the old selonoid which I assume comes from the switch. Can I just tape this off as in the new connector I would hook the red&blue to the red I labeled carb. Do I take the one violet and connect to the orange/red and orange/violet?
I hope you can understand all this. I'm confused about this split wire with resistors.

thanks

Bill Kapaun
05-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Did you go to the Kohler site and download the service manual?
It has the schematics that Rob has posted. With the manual, you can blow them up to make them a bit easier to read.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2450_b.pdf

steve9410
05-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Yep, I did download the service manual. The only problem is my keyswitch is different. I don't have a wire coming back from the keyswitch that is only live when the key is in the on position. I need this I assume for the carburator controller. This can't be live all the time right?

THanks

Bill Kapaun
05-17-2007, 04:52 PM
A schematic of the Kaw & the machine (whatever it is) would sure be handy!:)

"On the motor the red goes to the carb and the violet goes to what I think is a rectifier."
Is the violet (regulator center tap) wire switched with the ignition, or always live?
How about one of the wires going to the old solenoid?

What machine is this on? Maybe there's a schematic floating around in cyber space?

steve9410
05-17-2007, 06:39 PM
That's the problem, it's a Bobcat ZT200 Series, Model 942213. It's made by Textron, but the company has been sold so many times. I haven't been able to locate a schematic. The red and the violet coming from the keyswitch both connect to the starter solenoid stud. This was the only way I could get the yellow coming back from the key to be live with the key in the start position. This means the rectifier is live all the time. I hope it's right. On the old solenoid was the yellow and black. The black was ground and the yellow as above. The red was attached the the battery stud on the old solenoid. The violet came back from the keyswitch direct to the recifier on the Kaw. But the scematic on this Kohler shows the violet and red connected to the stud, which would make the rectifier live all the time. I do have an accessory wire available on the starter I could run back to supply the carb.

steve9410
05-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Oops, I mean I have an accessory wire on the keyswitch which I could run to the carb.

Bill Kapaun
05-17-2007, 07:14 PM
"I don't have a wire coming back from the keyswitch that is only live when the key is in the on position"

"Oops, I mean I have an accessory wire on the keyswitch which I could run to the carb."

Restrorob
05-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Hmmm, Lookie what I found......

http://hayward.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF&app=ASP&lang=EN&TF=Mainframe&LoginID=hywd&loginpwd=hywd&Partner=HYWD

Click the arrow on "Select a Catalog"

In the drop down box click Textron

Then click on Bob-Cat

Then click Rotary

Then scroll to the bottom and click on ZT200 Series

Then scroll down and click on your serial number

Then scroll down to the bottom and you will find wire diagrams for YOUR unit with a Kohler or Kawasaki engine.

Use the magnifying glass buttons on the upper left to blow the diagrams up to be seen better.

Good Luck

steve9410
05-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanx alot for all your help, you guys are the greatest! I will follow the schematic for the Kawasaki showing the purple wire from the switch going directly to the regulator and carb, as apposed to the Kohler motor schematic showing it going to the Solenoid stud first, which makes it always live.

Thanks again.

Bill Kapaun
05-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Good Ol' Rob:)

I noticed at the bottom left, you can download the pdf.
The magnify buttons didn't work for me on the webpage.
The pdf lists diagrams for both engines, but you have to set your monitor on its side to read them:)

steve9410
05-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Yep, I downloaded it. I just wish the Kohler diagram showed the solenoid harness like the Kawasaki diagram does. It must be the same. Thanks again for your help. I have a plan now, we'll see what happens.

fixer67
05-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Good Ol' Rob:)

I noticed at the bottom left, you can download the pdf.
The magnify buttons didn't work for me on the webpage.
The pdf lists diagrams for both engines, but you have to set your monitor on its side to read them:)

Look at the picture below it may help.

thecrankshaft
05-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Those are not resistors in the wiring harness, they are diodes. The orange wire is just a jumper wire needed for some consumer lawn mower spec wiring harnesses.

Key switch positions:

S-red and blue
R-red and violet
M-white
B-battery
A-accessories

steve9410
06-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Well the mower runs, if anyone's interested I had to add a toggle switch to the red wire between the battery and the carb solenoid to keep it running. I still am having problems as the system isn't charging. I also cannot keep clutches in it. I replaced the electric clutch as it would slip. The new one lasted about 3 hours and now does the same thing. I was thinking the lack of battery power was causing the clutch slip, but I charged it fully and it still slips. These electric clutches are $300, there must be something better out there.

Restrorob
06-04-2007, 08:42 PM
What kind of voltage reading are you getting across the battery terminals at full throttle ?

Also, Are you getting full battery voltage at the PTO clutch harness plug ?

willygee
09-11-2007, 04:50 AM
I ran into the same problem. I just went to wal-mart and bought new key switch. it has four terminals, one labled acc. that is hot in run and start positions this is where I hooked up my fuel solenoid. I eliminated the factory harness on the mower and just ran my own wires according to the kohler wiring diagram.

willygee
09-11-2007, 04:55 AM
The purple wire comming from the rectifier should hook directly to the + side of the battery for propper charging