View Full Version : Truck and Trailer regulations in Tennessee

Nature's Edge
05-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Let me start by saying I am very new to the commercial lawncare business. I have a few questions concerning truck and trailer regulations in TN. I currently advertise on both truck and trailer do I need commercial plates on both truck and trailer or just trailer? Is there a website I can find this on? Do I need cones, reflective tape, brakes etc? What about insurance for a small business? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FYI I own a 6'x12' open trailer single axle if this makes a difference.

05-04-2007, 09:55 PM
first off insurance. you will want commercial insurance. make sure your agent knows you are using your truck commoercially and towing. you will also want insurance for your bussiness. in case you shoot a rock out from your mower and it hits a kid riding by on a bike. worst case scenerio but crazier things happen. definitly get insurance.
as far as plates, at a minimum you will need semi plates for your trailer. semi plates are more expensive but they don't expire. if the truck is in your name and not the bussiness name you can get away with non-commercial plates. if it is in the bussiness name get a plate rated for the weight of the truck and the heaviest trailer you may tow combined. you won't need DOT numbers since you are not crossing state borders to work. you will also need a bussiness license to get insurance. this will be good tax wise as well. also get a federal tax ID number. you can get by for a bit using your soc. sec.#. also you will need cones, reflective tape or anything else you can do for safety is a good idea. on the commercial license study page it will tell about the cones.
how are things in the boro? i went to 8th grade at central, lived on e. college st. loved it there. it was a much smaller town then.
good luck,

Nature's Edge
05-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the information. The boro is booming to say the least. The city's gateway project is currently building a 10 story hotel and conference center. If you ask me kinda looking like Franklin and Brentwood. I am having trouble finding insurance just for the business, they all want me to switch everyting to them house, car etc. How much so semi-tags cost? Thanks again.

gammon landscaping
05-06-2007, 03:33 PM
if you have signs on the truck it needs to have comercial plates, and if your gross weight is over 9000lbs you need commercial plates. all trailers have to have plates but they won't say anything to you unless you are using it for buesness then they will ticket you, i think the plates are 68 bucks not that much

Precision Lawns
05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
PM me I have a great company for ins. They are in Murfreesboro.

05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
i have commercial on one truck that is paid for and registered in the bussiness name. my other truck is in my name on the registration and the county clerk wouldn't allow me to get commercial plates for it. according to them it is either a company truck or personal truck. doesn't make sense to me but i have tried twice to get the plates. the thing that is frustrating is trying to do things right and not being able to. i figure the ticket won't break me and when i bring it in with me next time for tags maybe they will let me have them.
good luck,

Nature's Edge
05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks Precision Lawns i dont have enough post yet so I will PM you when I do.

Nature's Edge
05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Also having alot of trouble with my trailer brakes. Bought a brake controller from Northern Tool and installed it but still having trouble. Checked all wiring for shorts but still showing error. Help!

05-07-2007, 10:38 PM
... as far as plates, at a minimum you will need semi plates for your trailer. semi plates are more expensive but they don't expire ...

Yes, I have a semi plate for my trailer and it is a permanent tag !