PDA

View Full Version : Seeding & Strawing

Siteprep
05-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Just wondering what some of you charge per sq ft for seeding & strawing, or if you price it another way. One of the contractors we do work for asked if we could seed & straw for $ 1050.00 an acre. We do not do much of this but I was willing to help him out this time. I figured up my costs per acre at $ 256.00.
Thanks for the input.

AintNoFun
05-04-2007, 07:33 PM
ive done large jobs of just straw mulching for 4 cents a square, no seed of course... ive also seend jobs go for much less...

start2finish
05-05-2007, 09:34 AM
what type of seeding?

erosion control? turf establishment? how much prep?

muddstopper
05-05-2007, 11:21 AM
First, I dont think you have figured all your cost, In my area the cost of the straw alone would be $200 and cheap seed is $72 a 50#bag. Broadcasting using a tractor I have done close to 40 acres a day, but it would take several more days to apply the straw, plus the cost of labor that goes with it. In a nutshell, yes you can make money at $1050 a acre for just straw and seed, but I think you need to revisit your cost analysis to see just how much money you will actually be making. And if you will be applying any fertilizer or lime materials, then you are way off.

chris638
05-05-2007, 05:15 PM
You are way low on cost per acre. My cost for one acre is about $700.00 using fescue seed and quality fertilizer. No one would do an acre for 26 cents a yd. On large acreage jobs (over 5 acres) using annual seed I still get 30 to 35 cents a sq. yd. The contractor is yanking your chain. Tell him no.

Siteprep
05-05-2007, 11:02 PM
I re-checked my numbers on costs and I can get straw from a local farmer @
$ 2.50 a bail it would take approx 48 bails out of a straw blower, which we have
already and I can get seed from a local seed factory for $65 dollars per 100 lbs.
KY Bluegrass contractor mix. The contractor preps the area with a dozer and all he wants is us to seed & straw it no fertilizer. This is a large construction area where they will be building several hundred houses in the future.

Mike33
05-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I dont use straw any more due to i hydro seed, but you cant say for sure 48 bales will do it. Straw is so in consistant of coverage due to how it is baled.
Mike

Siteprep
05-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Thats strange, I have used hundreds of square bails here and they dont appear to be different. They are wrapped tight and appear to all be the same size in general. Also I always buy 5 or 6 extra bails just in case, but I almost always
have some left over, with good coverage.

start2finish
05-06-2007, 11:11 AM
70-80 bales per acre to cover. around here this work is inspected by environmental health (soil and erosion dept) they have specs. for temporary seeding. Look up your local code.

gammon landscaping
05-06-2007, 04:11 PM
i did a job last week almost like this expet that i took a skid and spent 3 hours getting some of the roots off the top and breaking up the soil. it was around an acrae, i charged 1750 and made good money. we used 150 lbs seed and 250 in starter fert from lesscos. wich i think cost around 330. then the straw was 270 we used 90 bales, at 3 a bale. and labor was 100, so our stright out cost was 800. if you are doing this for 1050 you are going to go in the hole at the end of the year. we charge 8 a bale to blow in staw, so that was 720 and the seed and fert charges out at 450. labor 250. then the skid is 60 per hour 3 min which is 180. and the rest was a little profit from over estamating. on paper it looks like i made 950 but in reallity i probablly was in the 250-300 range when you factor in all the overhead and taxes. the cost of doing buessness and taxes should always be put in to the bill first. and trust me you will need this money when the motor on your blower blowes up, mine just cost 1300 to replace

Siteprep
05-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks for all the input, I raised my bid to $ 1530.00 an acre. I found out that the other company which is to busy to get to him was charging $ 1600.00 an acre. so he can take it or leave it.

muddstopper
05-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the input, I raised my bid to $ 1530.00 an acre. I found out that the other company which is to busy to get to him was charging $ 1600.00 an acre. so he can take it or leave it.

Amazing how contractors will try to price someones elses work for them aint it. I recently had a longtime customer call me up to tell me how he has being solicited by a number of my competitors offering a cheaper price. Now I know his reason for calling was to try and get me to lower my pricing. Instead i told him I would park my truck first and then raised his prices and gave him the take it or leave it speach. He accepted my new price and put me to work on another job. Never let anyone else set your pricing.

Mike33
05-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Thats strange, I have used hundreds of square bails here and they dont appear to be different. They are wrapped tight and appear to all be the same size in general. Also I always buy 5 or 6 extra bails just in case, but I almost always
have some left over, with good coverage.

good for you, but when i was using straw i purchased from local southern states co-op for convience. They in turn bought it delivered from around 12 different local farmers and there was a lot of difference in coverage.
Mike

muddstopper
05-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I too, have seen a lot of differences in bale sizes and coverage. Nobody in my area even grows straw so i have to get everything shipped in. everybodies bailers are a little different and depending on whos got straw and whos not, my bales can vary greatly. The bad thing is, I have to pay as much for the small bales as I do for the bigger ones.

jonlavonne
05-07-2007, 08:19 PM
We get 60-70 dollars per 1000ft.sq. Includes 1 pass with the powered landscape rake, 1 pass with the APS seeder, fertilizing, straw blowing and crimping.