PDA

View Full Version : Griping.

CSRA Landscaping
08-09-2001, 01:44 PM
Well, someone came in and undercut my renewal with a townhouse community that I do by $80 per month, and he's planning on sending out a 2-3 man crew! I don't see it, myself. I'm kind of glad, though. HOA's are such a pain. :rolleyes:

Before I pursue any more townouse communities, tell me, have you guys n gals found any HOA's that are loyal? I don't go for all the political junk and the powers struggles that seem to typify them.

Lawn-Scapes
08-09-2001, 04:47 PM
Does townhouse community = common grounds?

That's a wee bit of money... What was involved for $80 a month? Doesn't even seem worth the effort for them to get new bids :confused:

Sorry...

CSRA Landscaping
08-09-2001, 04:52 PM
Tom, I guess I wasn't clear. The other guy undercut my bid by $80. Meaning that he was $80 per month cheaper than my renewal.

little green guy
08-09-2001, 04:53 PM
I think he got undercut by 80.00 a month, I don't think he was charging 80.00 a month. :confused:

Lawn-Scapes
08-09-2001, 04:59 PM
Sorry about that...

How long were you cutting the place?

Why can't you see a 2-3 man crew doing it? How many units? How long did it take you by your self?

CSRA Landscaping
08-09-2001, 07:59 PM
Mostly because most other folks were in the $990+ range ... this guy must
A) be new, like me, or
B) have very low expenses.

I've been doing it for a year, it usually takes me, by myself, 3-4 hours. 28 units.

guntruck
08-09-2001, 08:35 PM
Im assuming they require proof of insurance, workmans comp and all else correct?

crazygator
08-09-2001, 10:46 PM
This stuff always reminds me that we have to put up with all the political BS! But, just cause someone else is lower does not mean they will do the job like we did. I always do my very best, and If I get underbid then oh well. Like what am I gonna do about it anyway. Let them live and learn. This should encourage all of us to do our selling and maybe to add to the services we offer. I hope this lose doesnt hurt you too much, but sonething else will come along and fill the gap much better. Keep your head up!!!

Lawn DOG
08-10-2001, 12:39 AM
Hey you could always under cut him. Then he could under cut you. And so on and so on. Before you know it someone's doin it for free. LOL

:laugh:

Just curious, How did you find out how much this guy outbid you by? Got some inside info?

geogunn
08-10-2001, 02:07 AM
$80/ mo. =$960 annual. I hope. I did the math in my head.

$960 annual is a lot of money to a HOA. after all they are all retired and have nothing to do but watch their annual dues head down the gutter.

I have not tried this but could you do an appreciation thing for the board members. get to know them. shmooze them. make it personal if they reject you over $20 a week!

IDUNNO! just an idea.

GEO

Finecut
08-10-2001, 08:52 AM
CSRA,

If you think back they probably told you what they were paying when you made your initial contact with them. My guess is that you somewhat under bid what they were paying before. They have now passed your pricing along for others to beat. I would also guess that next year someone will come along and beat or meet his bid. There is a lesson to be learned here...try and get a multi-year contract with these groups in the future.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-10-2001, 09:14 PM
I just dumped 1 yesterday

They got 3 months behind in payments and wanted more work done at an additional charge but they were behind and told them when they catch up their bill

Any ways they got a letter that sevices will cease and they gave no responce

Well sevices stopped and they called to complain and then 2 days later they called to dump me and to their dumbfoundness they had alredy been dump with a readjusted bill (they were on a monthly contract with no way out) and a notice that they will still have to pay their bill till next February and my LCO will no longer be providing services for them

I have made a good living on common grounds but when they get to bitchy and politacal it's not worth the hassle

Specialy when you have to deal with 3 trustees and no one knows which end is UP.

It sucks loosing $4,000 a month account, but forcing them to pay me when they get real far behind is worse.:cry:

LGFLGF:blob1:

CSRA Landscaping
08-12-2001, 07:34 PM
LGF: Wow, $4k per month, eh? Ouch.

Finecut; wrong. I definintely did not know what they were paying out when I came along. I approached them becasue their grass was tall. I was a little low though, since I was just starting out. I went for a two-year contract this time, too. Their loss.

Lawn DOG; yeah, I'm friends with the new grounds rep. for one of the cul-de-sacs. No harm done, though, since the damage had already arrived. :rolleyes: Oh, did I mention that I won't start a price war? ;)

crazygator
08-12-2001, 07:38 PM
Oh man, no price war? Come on! Give the other guy something to grip about!....LOL just kidding. Good for you to lake your lumps and just go on. I hope you fill that spot with something even better!