PDA

View Full Version : ZTR blade speed vs. tractor

mow4fun
05-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I have a Simplicity Citation which is tha same as the Ferris, I love this machine and it does a great job no matter how tall the grass is and I have a mulching kit on it. I have been thinking that I am the only one I can ride it and I should get a tractor so that my son can help as well, this is just for my property. I saw the Cub Cadet 1050 ZTR tractor and I think it would do the job as well.

Here my concern: Blade Speed. My ZTR will go through anyhing. Does anyone have experience switching to the Cub Cadet 1050 or a tractor from a ZTR and does the blade speed change a lot. I used to have many tractor with mulching kits and hated it when they bogged down. Any advice will be gratly apperciated, thanks in advance.

Capemay Eagle
05-04-2007, 10:44 PM
I have a Simplicity Citation which is tha same as the Ferris, I love this machine and it does a great job no matter how tall the grass is and I have a mulching kit on it. I have been thinking that I am the only one I can ride it and I should get a tractor so that my son can help as well, this is just for my property. I saw the Cub Cadet 1050 ZTR tractor and I think it would do the job as well.

Here my concern: Blade Speed. My ZTR will go through anyhing. Does anyone have experience switching to the Cub Cadet 1050 or a tractor from a ZTR and does the blade speed change a lot. I used to have many tractor with mulching kits and hated it when they bogged down. Any advice will be gratly apperciated, thanks in advance.
I have a mulching kit on my Craftsman tractor, and it has never even came close to boggin down. The only reason I run it full tilt is because I was told to by the salesman. It does have a 20 horse Kohler.

Another thing I have learned is that Mtd makes Craftsman and Cub Cadet tractors if I am not mistaking. Who knows what you are buying today...

dwbarg
05-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Hey Mow4Fun, how old is your son? I think a ztr is easier to cut with than a tractor mower. My son is 11 and he has been using my Hustler fastrak ztr I bought last year when he was 10. My wife also loves it and my 69 year old mother. They were all driving a joystick snapper 2 years before that. Once they get the hang of it it is a piece of cake. Just my 2cents.:usflag:

mow4fun
05-11-2007, 12:22 PM
He is 14, I would hate to see the initial practice runs that he will do. :)
Maybe I'll get him on it and see how it goes, you'll never and I truely love this ZTR and how powerfull it is. Thanks for the advice.

dwbarg
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I think he will do fine. Just think in GA he would get his learners license next year.:hammerhead: If he is like most kids he probably had rather be inside in front of the tv, computer or video game. Let him mow, he will thank you later. I couldn't keep my 2.5A yard half way decent if it weren't for my son. He does mow some, but mostly picks up sticks and pine cones and piles of leaves and pine straw we sweep up with the sweeper. Yes, he gets the crap jobs, but he gets rewarded with nice baseball equipment, 4 wheelers, etc. He does use the 4-wheeler to pull the trailer around for the clean-up. I think I am going to buy an accelerator catcher soon to help him with the clean up. Good luck!

Ray Zorback
05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
ZTR blade speed vs. tractor

Good question, anybody know?