PDA

View Full Version : new deck or new mower

hage1
05-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Two years ago, I bought a used Walker MCGHS for my two acres of yard. Before that, I used and still have a typical Toro garden tractor with a 42" mulching deck. There is no comparison, as the Walker is far superior in everyway. It even sounds better than the Toro with the blades going. Grass collecting is great in the spring and fall, but I do miss the ease of mulching. My intention was to buy a new Walker mulching deck, until I found out they cost almost $2k. I can get a new Cub Cadet of Husqvarna ZTR with a mulching kit for $3k. I also found a used Walker 42" mulching deck for $900. So, if it were you, and it was only for use in your yard about once per week, would you:
A. buy the $900 used mulching deck.
B. buy the new $2k Walker mulching deck.
C. get a new toy, Cub Cadet, etc for $3k.
D. something I haven't thought of, besides hiring one of you guys.
thanks for your thoughts,

DCE
05-05-2007, 12:44 PM
If it were up to me, option A would be it for me IF the deck was in good shape mechanically and structurally. Buying a brand new Walker mulching deck for $2000 seems a bit much for once-a-week useage and if the used one cuts as well as a new one, then you've saved money right there. Buying a lawn/garden tractor with a mulch deck would be another way to go only if you want to run attachments with it. Snowblower, dozer blade, tiller...then again you can also run some attachments with the Walker as well. However, storage would be an issue with another riding machine if you have limited room in the garage/shed. I'm assuming since you brought this option up, you have room to put both in a locked and secured structure. Hope this helps!

DavidR
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Why do you want to mulch with your mower rather then collect the grass? Seems to me that collecting grass is really the strong point to the Walker in the first place?

DCE
05-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Why do you want to mulch with your mower rather then collect the grass? Seems to me that collecting grass is really the strong point to the Walker in the first place?

In all fairness - one of the many strong points :) Good to see you on here, bro :waving:

hage1
05-07-2007, 07:21 AM
I like the collection mainly for leaf season in the fall. I have been told that mulching the grass is actually better for the lawn than bagging, that the mulched grass acts as a fertilizer. Any comments on this?
thanks again

DCE
05-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I like the collection mainly for leaf season in the fall. I have been told that mulching the grass is actually better for the lawn than bagging, that the mulched grass acts as a fertilizer. Any comments on this?
thanks again

When you mulch, the grass particles are forced down to the soil surface by the mower deck, where they are left to decompose. When they do, they break down and release nutrients back to the soil, which will benefit the growing grass. The layer of grass particles also helps to retain soil moisture in as well. Another benefit of mulching is that you don't have to hassle with dumping and disposing of clippings. I don't generate much yard waste at all so therefore it's not worth it for me to sign up and pay annually for my city's yard waste collection service, when only I dump clippings. So, primarily I mulch and if the conditions are too wet and/or too long, I'll discharge the clippings. If you buy a mower that is a very good mulcher regardless if it's a walk behind or rider, you'll have that bagged appearance to the lawn after you cut it.

hage1
05-14-2007, 08:26 PM
I purchased the used Walker mulching deck. It was easy to get on, and seems to mulch quite well. It has gator blades, rather than the double style that comes from Walker. Is there any problem running these instead of the original equipment?
thanks again