PDA

View Full Version : Remove a booster pump or not?

jcom
05-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Our customer wants to know if we think we should remove
his booster pump now that the city has boosted the pressure in his area. (Notorious for low psi and booster pumps.

New question for me. What are your opinions as to whether it is necessary to remove it? Or just shut off the electrical to it. I would guess that there would be some restrictions if it is left in and not running.

Thanks in advance to all the resident geniuses.

John

PurpHaze
05-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks in advance to all the resident geniuses.

We just stab at things in the dark. :)

Not knowing all the particulars of the system (especially its design PSI) it'll just be a guess as to whether or not to remove the booster pump. The "new" city pressure may still not be enough PSI for the system depending on a lot of variables. Then there's always the chance that the new pressure will supply the system for now but may decline in the future as new construction/use happens in other parts of the city. City water systems are all interconnected and increased use on the other side of the city will affect everyone.

If a bypass was installed I'd bypass the booster pump and see how it affects the irrigation system.

Wet_Boots
05-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Pumps have a limit to the pressure they can take. If the static pressure is now above 75 psi, I'd pull the pump.

Dirty Water
05-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I'd leave the pump in place, but plumb in a manual bypass system.

That way he doesn't have to pay a forutune to reinstall it when that spec home neighbordhood down the street is finished.

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I hope the trac home guys are reading....a mistake (one of many) I made
myself....80 psi to 40!

PurpHaze
05-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I vote for the bypass too. Why ef with something you may end up needing later?

Dirty Water
05-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Better yet, just install a pressure reducer in the line so that the booster pump is needed again.

;-)

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Better yet, just install a pressure reducer in the line so that the booster pump is needed again.

;-)

Hitting the Lawn/Buckner a little early...are we?

jcom
05-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the info, folks. The manual bypass did not occur to me but I can see that is the way to go! I knew you folks would give me the answer. (Stab in the dark, my as*..

John:waving: