PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Jx85

cleancutdude
08-09-2001, 12:47 PM
HI I'M LOOKING TO BUY GOOD 21" BAGING MOWER
HAS ANYONE ANY COMENTENTS ON THE JD JX85 HONDA HYDROSTATIC PRO.

joed
08-09-2001, 02:11 PM
I have had the John Deere JX85 for two years and I am very pleased with it. The Kawaski 6 hp motor is marvelous. It is very powerful yet quiet and consumes precious little fuel. The machine leaves probably the nicest cut I have seen from 21" machines (compared to Toro and Lawn Boy which I have used) and is quite quick. It also mulches quite well but will leave annoying little clumps if the grass is real wet and thick. Finally, I really enjoy the BBC and I also attached a dethatcher to it which works very well in the spring. The only drawback I have with the machine is its bag. It's too small and gets filled up quickly. Toro's bag is much larger. In summary, it has been a great machine. You can't go wrong with it nor will you go wrong with the Honda. Both are super. It's a matter of personal choice. I think the Honda is more expensive and a little slower.

cleancutdude
08-09-2001, 05:06 PM
MANY THANKS JOED I THINK YOU'VE MADE MY MIND UP :D

Eric ELM
08-09-2001, 05:14 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite Cleancutdude. :)

You mean you can get these mowers over there in Ireland? ;)

I have the 14 SE JD which is the model before the JX85. I have had it for around 6 years and the Kaw motor has been great. The only problem was the starter went out within a year while under warranty and again after the warranty ran out. I went to pick up a starter to put on it and it was $190, cash and carry, so I just pull start it since it starts on the first pull everytime. :)

walker-talker
08-27-2001, 09:36 AM
I too have the JX85 with the kw engine. An excellent motor. I have had it 3 years and pulls the first time everytime. I think it was in a recent consumer reports rated #1. Actually I think it was the JX75, but no difference.

LeoS818
08-27-2001, 11:31 PM
We have a jx75. Good mower, starts frist pull every time. My dealer only carries the jx 75. He told me the only differance is it has plastic tires , no oil filter ,and a little cheaper. For bout 35 bucks he put the filter on ours.

GLS
10-06-2001, 09:37 PM
one other difference, reinforced height adjustment :)

Albemarle Lawn
10-06-2001, 09:46 PM
Had JX85 for 5 years.

Motor is spledid.

Complaints: Weak handle and fragile controls.

All in all good machine.

Ken