PDA

View Full Version : Would YOU ever buy a Toyota Pickup?

Petr51488
05-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Just what the title says. I know alot of you, including me, are fans of chevy, ford, dodge, etc. But, would you ever see yourself in a Toyota? I personally, don't see myself every buying one. I would much rather drive an American truck over a Toyota.

BSDeality
05-04-2007, 11:19 PM
I have both a 94 Toyota pickup and an 05 Ford PSD. They both have their purpose. in this gas crazed age I drive the Toy a lot more than the PSD unless I'm hauling. I find that most days I don't need the big truck and I can take the mini truck instead. The Toyota takes a lot of abuse (plowing, hauling, oversized wheelbarrow) and has never left me stranded. I'm currently looking for a slightly upgraded model as I would love to have AC/power windows in it. When my ford is old and tired I don't think I'll be buying another one.

jbone
05-05-2007, 12:05 AM
I think he is referring to the new full size toyota. The compact pickup from toyota and nissan are phenominal. Im sure the new full size tundra will be great too BUT, I will never buy one! I love my GMC too much!

deere615
05-05-2007, 12:30 AM
I love my chevy and I love fords also. I don't like the toyota trucks but I do have to admit they do have good commercials. But I would take a toyota over the new crappy honda trucks

Petr51488
05-05-2007, 09:03 AM
I think he is referring to the new full size toyota. The compact pickup from toyota and nissan are phenominal. Im sure the new full size tundra will be great too BUT, I will never buy one! I love my GMC too much!

Yea, im talking about the new 1/2 ton trucks.

I do agree that they have good commercials, and thats what prob sells them.

mudwisr2
05-05-2007, 09:15 AM
www.ttora.com

I Love My Tacoma!!! You can not beat those trucks. As for a full size truck. The new Tundra is...ummmm...bad ass. I will honestly say that I would buy a new Tundra over any other new 1/2 ton hands down. Toyota has dominated the truck market and if they start bringing over 3/4 and 1 ton diesels, watch out "Big Three"

lawnboy dan
05-05-2007, 09:16 AM
bought a tundra new in 03 . best vehicle i have ever owend by far. my last toyota lasted 23 yrs and 300k. go test drive a new tundra -your ford or chevy wont seem so great after that

snowbrdr360
05-05-2007, 09:17 AM
NEVER! Only American

Jimmyed
05-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I have had several chevy trucks and a ford. I switched to toyota and will never look back. I had more problems out of the "american" cars than I care to share, 2 were new. I have a newer tacoma and a 90 p/u. No problems out of either. I have put 70k on the older truck and I have done nothing more than change the oil, brakes, ujoints, tires, and a battery. And everything still works. The chevy, all the interior stuff quit after 3 years, heater fan would only work full blast, ac quit all together, factory radio quit, guage cluster broke 4 times, cruise quit working.
Never again.

muddstopper
05-05-2007, 10:55 AM
To each his own, but htere will be no Toys in my driveway.

Tony Clifton
05-05-2007, 11:40 AM
NEVER! Only American

I hate to break it to you but Toyotas are actually built in America!! Do you think GM's and Ford are built here? Maybe some are, but a majority are not.

Dirt Digger2
05-05-2007, 12:30 PM
yes i think this pole should be more like would you drive an "american" truck made in mexico or an "import" made in america

we'll see how many people will never drive a toyota when they come out with 3/4 and 1 ton cat diesels in them

justgeorge
05-05-2007, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=mudwisr2;1819100 Toyota has dominated the truck market and if they start bringing over 3/4 and 1 ton diesels, watch out "Big Three"[/QUOTE]

How can you say the Toyota has dominated the truck market? Maybe they have dominated it in Japan, but certainly not here.

Vikings
05-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I hate to break it to you but Toyotas are actually built in America!! Do you think GM's and Ford are built here? Maybe some are, but a majority are not.

Built in America but with Japanese management and quality control not to mention their R+D.

Are American trucks really built in Mexico now?

I have a ford and a sierra but if I ever bought new I would definetely go with Toyota.

salopez
05-05-2007, 04:52 PM
I look at cost of ownership. If a 1/2 ton toy costs over 40 grand how much will their 3/4 ton diesel cost? Toys in my opionon are way over priced. I am not saying they are bad...just price. for this reason I would not buy one.

as for the where are they made point...toy only builds things here cause its cheaper....cheaper land, cheaper labor, cheaper shipping. All of their good stuff is still made in japan though. So expect the engines and trannys to be made in japan. Plus all the profits go to japan.

FSully
05-05-2007, 05:47 PM
So expect the engines and trannys to be made in japan. Plus all the profits go to japan.

Nope. All V6 and V8 engines and automatic transmission are made in the states. 4 bangers are made here in the states and canada. Oh, the castings for the motors, yep they are made here also.

muddstopper
05-05-2007, 05:56 PM

I hate to break it to you, but there is a difference in built in America and assembled in America. The trucks that GM and ford have assembled in Mexico and Canada contain over 75% and in some cases as much as 95% parts that where made in America by American workers. Toyota trucks are Assembled in America with over 67% of all parts made and imported from Japan. Further, for every job Toyota has created in America by assmbleing their autos here, we have lost approx 20 support jobs that are the result of all those parts that are Made In Japan. You remember that great sucking sound old Ross mentioned? Also, Toyota, Nissian, Honda, BMW, ect are given very large tax breaks to bring their plants to America, in some instances as much as $200,000 each for ever single worker they employ at those plants. Further, all profits from the assembly of those Japan Autos go back to Japan which eliminates them from having to pay any taxes to the USA. . Sorry, your Built in America argument just doesnt cut it.

Dirty Water
05-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't really care where the truck is built.

All I know is that Toyota is forward thinking, and designs great vehicles.

I'll take a Toyota please.

outlaw1960
05-05-2007, 09:07 PM
All I know is that Toyota is forward thinking, and designs great vehicles.

Although I presently own one of the Big 3 vehicles, if toy or nissan made a 3/4 ton I would consider it. The issues with our American trucks are well documented.

All Pro Lawn Care
05-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I would not buy any other truck!

Ramairfreak98ss
05-05-2007, 10:55 PM
bsdealty... i think most of us like the big truck/ small truck idea.. of course my small truck is my 91 f150 5.0L gas which still gets ok milage especially empty or light loads... in this business i probably wouldnt buy any more half ton or gas engine trucks, but cant ever see buying a toyota tacoma, ranger, etc kind of car like truck. just not much use for it besides very very light duty jobs.

hosejockey2002
05-06-2007, 12:12 AM
So, all you guys who swear to buy American only use Briggs & Stratton or Kohler powered mowers, right? No Honda or Kawasaki powered mowers, or Stihl power tools, or Kubota tractors. JMHO, buy trucks and equipment that will make money for your business, not someone elses.

jtkplc
05-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Yes, if Toyota would make a heavy duty truck that wasn't so ugly, had a diesel engine option, and would get 25mph on the highway.

Birdhunter1
05-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I hate to break it to you, but there is a difference in built in America and assembled in America. The trucks that GM and ford have assembled in Mexico and Canada contain over 75% and in some cases as much as 95% parts that where made in America by American workers. Toyota trucks are Assembled in America with over 67% of all parts made and imported from Japan. Further, for every job Toyota has created in America by assmbleing their autos here, we have lost approx 20 support jobs that are the result of all those parts that are Made In Japan. You remember that great sucking sound old Ross mentioned? Also, Toyota, Nissian, Honda, BMW, ect are given very large tax breaks to bring their plants to America, in some instances as much as $200,000 each for ever single worker they employ at those plants. Further, all profits from the assembly of those Japan Autos go back to Japan which eliminates them from having to pay any taxes to the USA. . Sorry, your Built in America argument just doesnt cut it.

DITTO!

I'll build my own truck or ride a horse and pick up it's **** before I own a Toyota!

Lynden-Jeff
05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
DITTO!

I'll build my own truck or ride a horse and pick up it's **** before I own a Toyota!

I guess you will be the guy I see stuck on the side of the road. I own a dodge, and I like it a lot. I am about to buy another. If Toyota made a 3/4-1 ton truck I would buy one in an instant. Toyota are second to none. HINO's are also some of the best vehicles you can ever get. Id buy one over a 450/550 any day for a dump. Honda and Toyota are the way of the future for cars and trucks if the big 3 don't pull it together and GM is already half way down the tubes.

Petr51488
05-06-2007, 07:58 PM
So, all you guys who swear to buy American only use Briggs & Stratton or Kohler powered mowers, right? No Honda or Kawasaki powered mowers, or Stihl power tools, or Kubota tractors. JMHO, buy trucks and equipment that will make money for your business, not someone elses.

Not really. A truck can cost up to 50k, where as an engine costs 2,000 tops. Big difference.

Jpocket
05-06-2007, 08:42 PM
To each his own, but htere will be no Toys in my driveway.

I couldn't have said it better. I really don't have anything against the foreign stuff. I prefer an american name. For me it's gotta be a BOWTIE and nothing else. IMO GM has always made the best Half-ton, it's the only one that still looks like a good ole truck. The new fullsize Nissans and toyotas are great for pencils pushers that want to look like contractors on saturday when they go to home-depot.

Jpocket
05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Not really. A truck can cost up to 50k, where as an engine costs 2,000 tops. Big difference.

I run ALL Kohler and Briggs, The only exception is all my REDMAX 2cycle stuff, you just can't beat redmax when it comes to whakers and blowers

Birdhunter1
05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I guess you will be the guy I see stuck on the side of the road. I own a dodge, and I like it a lot.

Fords have never left me stranded yet in 11 years. When I was doing HVAc work my work truck was a chevy, never left me stranded either. No everyday experience to speak of with a Dodge. Never driven a Toyota, never rode in one and don't plan to. They may be built in the US but the corp. headquarters is in Japan, which means that's where the money goes.
My dad has sold Ford's for about the last 20 years, so for most of my life Ford products put a roof over my head and food on the table. I think I'll stick with them, if for some reason someday I can't have Ford it'll be a Dodge or Chevy. If those aren't available I'll get an Old Ford and keep it running. But it'll be a cold day before a Toyota, Nissan or Honda sits in my driveway!

kjslawn
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
If I could afford one new tundra all they way. Toyota just makes a better truck, car, I wish they would make a mower .

tacoma200
05-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I think I'm going to stay out of this one.

Petr51488
05-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I think I'm going to stay out of this one.

LOL Im talking about the 1/2 ton and above (possibly) toyota pickups, not the smaller ones.

QualityLawnCare4u
05-07-2007, 01:01 AM
I use a 2000 Tundra for all my towing with no problems, she cranks and runs like a brand new one and is just broken it with a 111k miles. Mileage is ok for a V8, gets 15 in town and 21 on the road. Towing in town still gets around 13 with the AC on. Everyone has their own favorite and I will might buy GM or whatever strikes me next time.

lawnboy dan
05-07-2007, 07:43 AM
are you nuts!!!!? how can you think of a gm after owing a tundra! i get 16-17 town and 22 hwy from my v6 and it out tows my 305 chevy eaisly. my 2003 hasnt been to the dealer once.

mudwisr2
05-07-2007, 07:53 AM
How can you say the Toyota has dominated the truck market? Maybe they have dominated it in Japan, but certainly not here.

They most certainly have. Last quarter Toyota had the highest vehicle volume for sales for the first time in history.

AllSeasonsMaintenance
05-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I've owned 7 toys bought a f-350 for business its a nice truck but I would buy a 3/4 or 1 ton toy instantly with a diesel.

IN2MOWN
05-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Ive owned Toyota trucks and cars and can say without hesitation they make some of the best vehicles in the world. I dont know if I would use one for work but if you want a vehicle that will get great gas mileage, is well made and will run forever then buy a Toyota. The American car manufacturer is finally catching up to foreign companies. Its sad its taken this long.

GLLawns
05-07-2007, 10:16 AM
What cracks me up is that so many of us cry buy American(myself included) but 99% of what we all own has some form of made in China in it. Unfortunately until we make a bigger push to the politicians and our American manufacturers we will continue to be at the foreigns mercy. I personally will be getting a new Ram 2500 in the next 6 months, but if I didn''t have the Chrysler discount I would take look at the new Tundra and put it in the running. Maybe when Ford and Gm give some better discounts they will stop loosing customers, but I don't see that happening soon.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-07-2007, 02:22 PM
What cracks me up is that so many of us cry buy American(myself included) but 99% of what we all own has some form of made in China in it. Unfortunately until we make a bigger push to the politicians and our American manufacturers we will continue to be at the foreigns mercy. I personally will be getting a new Ram 2500 in the next 6 months, but if I didn''t have the Chrysler discount I would take look at the new Tundra and put it in the running. Maybe when Ford and Gm give some better discounts they will stop loosing customers, but I don't see that happening soon.

Especially since Dodge is a Germany company....

I have a Dodge 2500, but would buy a toyota if the product fit my needs....

justgeorge
05-07-2007, 05:07 PM
They most certainly have. Last quarter Toyota had the highest vehicle volume for sales for the first time in history.

Highest VEHICLE volume sales does not equal the highest TRUCK volume. They are still 4th in TRUCK sales.

Lawn Enforcer
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I would not buy a Toyota for three reasons:
A. They are the most ugly trucks I have ever seen
B. They make the claim that properly equipped, the new Tundra can tow up to 11,000 pounds or something like that. WHO CARES! My '05 Ram can tow up to 12,000 pounds when properly equipped. And Toy thinks their truck can tow the most! BS!
C. My truck was built in America using American parts. Does anybody pay attention to the Toyota commercials, "Built in the USA" and on the bottom in smaller letters it says, "using globally sourced parts" For people that say that "big three" trucks are built in Canada and Mexico, look at this picture:
It says "Built at St. Louis North Assembly Plant"
USA all the way!

dodgeguy99
05-07-2007, 06:54 PM
i would never buy a toyota. i just dont think it is healthy for our economy. also a 1/2 ton just doesnt cut it for me. toyota has a long ways to go and is far behind american trucks that are making 350hp and 650 LB Ft of torque.

Dirty Water
05-07-2007, 07:38 PM
i would never buy a toyota. i just dont think it is healthy for our economy. also a 1/2 ton just doesnt cut it for me. toyota has a long ways to go and is far behind american trucks that are making 350hp and 650 LB Ft of torque.

Toyota's Tundra makes 401hp.

IN2MOWN
05-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Lawn Enforcer, just because it was "assembled" in the USA does not mean parts were made here.

I guarantee your radio and NUMEROUS other parts were made in different countries.

I know 3 people who worked for GM for a combined 75 years that can back me up on that.

dodgeguy99
05-07-2007, 08:21 PM

ya but the torque is another thing.

mike lane lawn care
05-07-2007, 08:42 PM
if i could afford a new tundra, then hell yes, i would buy one, heck even two. I love how they never die, i wheeled my old toyota pickup so bad, it had to get towed out of a mud hole up to the windows with a kubota tractor. I've beat on them and you can't kill them, plus they are just plain fun to drive and a pleasure to own.

IN2MOWN
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
if i could afford a new tundra, then hell yes, i would buy one, heck even two. I love how they never die, i wheeled my old toyota pickup so bad, it had to get towed out of a mud hole up to the windows with a kubota tractor. I've beat on them and you can't kill them, plus they are just plain fun to drive and a pleasure to own.

I four wheeled the hell out of my tacoma also. when I took it in for maint. they drained water out the block. I had been driving with it like that for months. Never hurt a thing!

sdelorey494103
05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
How much horse power does the V6 standard 5 speed make?

Lynden-Jeff
05-07-2007, 09:03 PM
ya but the torque is another thing.

As far as I know the tundra has more torque and more HP then ANY of the big 3's half tons. The above poster was incorrect about HP, its actually 401 lb's of torque and 381 HP. Id say the tundra is MORE capable of towing larger loads then the big 3. And all that made in the USA bull like really, WHO CARES aslong as its good.

dodgeguy99
05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
i wasnt talking about 1/2 tons. as i stated above i need a 3/4 ton and thats one of the main reasons i wont buy a toyota as they dont offer a 3/4 ton. but ya they have the most powerful 1/2 ton i will give you that.

NewWave
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
We just bought a new 2007 Tacoma 2WD 4 cyl for our sales and maintenace truck. The ting is awesome. 24 mpg driving the way I do and still being able to throw **** in the bed. Definately not a towing vehicle but serves its purpose for us. We put 700-900 miles a week on it.

As far as the Tundra. I like the new one. Wouldnt have it for a work truck. We need 3/4 or 1 ton trucks for our business. Would I own one if they made a 3/4 ton or 1 ton? Hell yes. Our fleet is a GM fleet minus the new Tacoma.

Mickhippy
05-07-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

IN2MOWN
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
As far as I know the tundra has more torque and more HP then ANY of the big 3's half tons. The above poster was incorrect about HP, its actually 401 lb's of torque and 381 HP. Id say the tundra is MORE capable of towing larger loads then the big 3. And all that made in the USA bull like really, WHO CARES aslong as its good.

I agree. I wonder how many of these guys go home and watch their TV made in Japan or buy their kids playstations and nintendos, or drink foreign beers, or hop on their computers that were made in China...?

As long as it works and works well then who cares?

muddstopper
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
. And all that made in the USA bull like really, WHO CARES aslong as its good.

When you are out of a job and you are driving your Toy,, wearing your chinese made clothes, you wont have anybody to blame but yourself.

M&SLawnCare
05-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Although i prefer American trucks because they are simply made tougher imo; in the passenger car market Toyota make great vehicles that can match the American made cars.

Think about this though. How many posts do we see about people complaining about 34892473024 new landscapers in the area flooding the market every day here? Border jumpers are one thing, however, a lot of those new people are starting up because they lost their job, very likely due to out sourcing (i know of 2 lco's that started this way in my area alone. Even my dad came extremely close to starting one up last time he was layed off). How many tens, if not even hundreds of though sands of employees has ford layed off in the past few years alone? Those Americans still have families at home, that need food on the table and a roof over their head, and landscaping is a quick and easy way to provide that short term (or so they think, hence how most don't make it past the first year) with little to no risk or startup investment.

It sounds so hypocritical to me hearing people complain about people moving into this business because they lost their jobs, from people that stand behind the foreign companies that caused those others to loose their jobs in the first place. Buy what you want, that is your right. But realize that you are supporting foreign companies at the cost of American companies and American workers. In our profession, that makes us the homeowner that pays the Mexican or lowballer LCOs, to mow their grass and takes work away from the hard working Americans (aka, us) which as we all know has been hurting this profession in many areas of the country. How many people have we heard give due to this very reason on these boards and how many more quit that we don't know about? Just think about that the next time you drive by a Mexican/lowballer lco in your Toyota and cursing him for hurting your business.

As for me i own a 1991 F150 and a 1970 chevelle (in about 200 pieces atm :hammerhead: ) and will never own a foreign car. We can't avoid buying foreign sometimes, but i buy American as often as i can. I support our economy and hope the economy can continue to support me and my business. :usflag:

Fieldman12
05-07-2007, 10:27 PM
My boss has a Toyota full size truck. He complains about the gas mileage and says it does not tow near as well as the Ameriacan full size trucks. He said next time he will get a Dodge or Chevrolet. He also complained about it not going very well in four wheel drive. I dont get all this american cars and trucks are no good. I admit Im from a GM family. I can tell you between me, my mom, dad, grand parents, aunts and uncles have hardly ever has any issues to amount to anything go wrong with a GM vehicle. We have owned Ford also and Dodge. The worst vehicel I ever owned was my Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. Motor, and all the drive train was good but the rest was falling apart. Had good luck with Ford also. I work with a guy at work that is a Die hard Toyota man. Well his Toyota car is using oil at 90 thousand. My girl friends sister's Mazda vans paint is peeling and numerous other problems at a little over a 100,000. Besides that what are we going to do for jobs in the US? What about your kids having jobs? There is allot of $8.00 an hour jobs but that to me is not a job that will ever allow you to have anything. This is why where in the issue we are with on fuel. We need to go to Ethanol and Biodiesel. Lets quit supporting every other country and support our self first. Not saying they make junk but nether do we. I support us first. Yes I have some forign stuff such as my New Holland tractor. It is made in Italy. It's not a bad tractor but it is not a real Ford.

Fieldman12
05-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Owe I forgot I have a 93 Lumina car with 180,000 miles on it and still going strong.

Fieldman12
05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Oh and I forgot to proof read my spelling. Sorry about that. I get in a hurry.

IN2MOWN
05-08-2007, 12:22 AM
When you are out of a job and you are driving your Toy,, wearing your chinese made clothes, you wont have anybody to blame but yourself.

I didnt know the chinese were such heavy hitters in the clothing industry. :rolleyes:

muddstopper
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I didnt know the chinese were such heavy hitters in the clothing industry. :rolleyes:

Thats because you probably never look at the labels. But is also a mute point, all one has to do is look at the textile industry to see that those jobs did indeed leave the US and go overseas after a short stay in Mexico. We are losing jobs in the automobile industry at the rate of about 20 to 1 because of all the support jobs that make a lot of the smaller parts are being created overseas. When you look at the number of jobs that Toy, Nissan, Kia, Bmw, ect have created in the United States and then subtract the number of jobs that those automobile manufactures have actually cost the United States, its pretty easy to see why everybody and their brother seems to own a lawn company. As long as the American buyers continue to purchase products made overseas, we will continue to see the jobs go overseas as well.

The great thing about America is everybody is free to make their own decisions. I have made mine, what you do is up to you. If you own a lawn care company and your competition is someone that was laid off because their jobs where shipped overseas, and you buy products made overseas, you have no-one to blame but yourself.

salopez
05-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Sorry but we have no one to blame but ourselves. If american's didn't want the pie for the cost of a slice we would be loosing jobs to overseas. We blame walmart for producing in third world, but we are not willing to pay for US labor. Worse part is allot of the more expspensive stuff is cheaper in the long run because of the quality....

lawnstriper23
05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Wife drives a Honda CRV
I drive a Honda Pilot
I will be purchasing a Honda Ridgeline in August
Until the "big Three" get their s*** together and make a vehicle that will last, I am a Honda man. The Toyota trucks are nice too. I thought about the Tundra, but I love the Ridgeline. I love all of you that say that you only buy domstic. Half the parts on your Ford and Chevys are made overseas. Look at the sticker when you purchase a vehicle. Also take a look at your mowers, edgers, weed wackers, etc. Oh well, enough of the rambling because I need to go watch the NBA playoffs on my TV made in China.....

justgeorge
05-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Until the "big Three" get their s*** together and make a vehicle that will last, I am a Honda man.
So now a Ford pickup (or Chevy pickup, or Dodge pickup) doesn't last?????

Lynden-Jeff
05-08-2007, 09:20 PM

lol. If ANYONE is out a job, and they are blaming it on things being made in china they have MUCh bigger problems and no one to blame but their lazy selves. LOTS of jobs if you look.

Lynden-Jeff
05-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Wife drives a Honda CRV
I drive a Honda Pilot
I will be purchasing a Honda Ridgeline in August
Until the "big Three" get their s*** together and make a vehicle that will last, I am a Honda man. The Toyota trucks are nice too. I thought about the Tundra, but I love the Ridgeline. I love all of you that say that you only buy domstic. Half the parts on your Ford and Chevys are made overseas. Look at the sticker when you purchase a vehicle. Also take a look at your mowers, edgers, weed wackers, etc. Oh well, enough of the rambling because I need to go watch the NBA playoffs on my TV made in China.....

I am a big big fan of honda, I drive a civic but the ridgline is definatly not a work truck. Honda needs to follow nissan and toyota and atleast come out with a working half ton.

Fieldman12
05-08-2007, 09:35 PM
There is allot of issues in the US including the jobs going over seas. Yes, there is jobs out there but "most" dont pay anything. Im sorry but a real job is more than eight to ten bucks an hour. College is great but around here a college student is starting out at 24 to 30 thousand. That is no money when you went in debt for at least 50 thousand and have a montly bill. How can you afford to buy a house? The economy is set so that man and woman both work. Forget having kids unless you want one pay check to go to the baby sitter. Yes allot of parts on US vehicles are made in other Countries. Point is when it all is said and down a US company gets the majority of the money. I know that is still not great because the whole vehicele is not made here but it's a start. They need to heavily tax the big three for wanting to export jobs and heavily tax the companys coming over here. Things could be fixed if they get there butt in gear. I feel sorry for our kids. A US vehicle will last just as long as any other forign car. I dont know if very many people remember it but Deere back in the depression helped farmers by allowing to be late on paymens in such a poor time. Several years ago GM decided to give rebates and cheap finaning to stimulate the poor economy. Yes GM was hurting but did you see any foreign companys do anything ?? Ford and Dodge (German owned) did the same thing. Do you really think China or Japan will bail us out? They make good stuff yes, but support your own first.

wriken
05-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Can't wait till they come out with a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton

IN2MOWN
05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Thats because you probably never look at the labels. But is also a mute point, all one has to do is look at the textile industry to see that those jobs did indeed leave the US and go overseas after a short stay in Mexico. We are losing jobs in the automobile industry at the rate of about 20 to 1 because of all the support jobs that make a lot of the smaller parts are being created overseas. When you look at the number of jobs that Toy, Nissan, Kia, Bmw, ect have created in the United States and then subtract the number of jobs that those automobile manufactures have actually cost the United States, its pretty easy to see why everybody and their brother seems to own a lawn company. As long as the American buyers continue to purchase products made overseas, we will continue to see the jobs go overseas as well.

The great thing about America is everybody is free to make their own decisions. I have made mine, what you do is up to you. If you own a lawn care company and your competition is someone that was laid off because their jobs where shipped overseas, and you buy products made overseas, you have no-one to blame but yourself.

FYI, its "MOOT" not "MUTE".

Second off all if America hadn't done such a shotty job in the 70's and 80's none of these jobs would be shipping overseas.

You are right though. We have nobody to blame but ourselves...

IN2MOWN
05-08-2007, 09:48 PM
So now a Ford pickup (or Chevy pickup, or Dodge pickup) doesn't last?????

The "Big 3" dont just manufacture trucks. The fact of the matter is they all did a crappy job at some point in the last 4 decades. GM is mostly to blame for their 80's and early 90's model trucks. They were junk...plain and simple.

Lawn Enforcer
05-08-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't care if a few of my parts were made in outside countries, but the majority were made in the USA, most of the money staying here.
I also believe that "big three" trucks last a long time. My uncle has beat the crap out of his '96 Ram 1500 and the only thing needing to be replaced is the starter. 202,500 miles and he never cared for it until now, when he has run into money issues, and now he takes better care of it. I've been told by some that the transmission has been replaced for sure. Nope, it has not been replaced. He hasn't towed a big load with it for the last 45,000 miles, but before that he towed an 18 ft. trailer with a Toro 1000 L and a Proline 44" w/b with all the rest of the goodies all the time. My point is, DODGE trucks last! So do Chevys, GMCs, and Fords. I am not a fan of Ford, but I would gladly drive one before even thinking about driving a Toy, Honda, or Nissan.
Toyota guys: have you had to work on your trucks yet? How much was it at a dealer? Well, if you havent, be ready to pay big time for it.

snoope
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Wow,

Ok question one........do the foriegn companies give back.???..What do you call building factories to produce the cars and trucks purchased by us in the U.S.A......Who is employed in these factories at "Good " wages.....??? Americans.........

Yes ,the big 3 have lost their way through the years BUT now look at them.....Some of the best products in years ..then again still trying to give us "Junk' too.....

And it is not just the "Car" or Small truck...even the ckass 8 rigs are " mixing"...Our 4 new Macks are "Volvoized" ( yes a new word:cool2: )....And if you buy equipment ......who has a recent CAT that is built to pre-80's spec:usflag: :usflag: .....

World economy is just that.........tighten that belt ,buy smart and most of all be loyal to the company that treats you the same:) :) .......These will be the folks passing down the family business to their kids......and retiring well..not check to check........

Snoope back quiet

Fieldman12
05-08-2007, 11:02 PM
One reason our jobs pay less is because we are on a global economy. If we took more care of our self and worried less about the other coutries I feel wages would be better. From what I have seen the jobs brought in from the foreign outfits does not pay any better than our jobs at all. Besides look at the ugly outfits they make you wear. It is hard to keep from buying foreign these days but we have our self to blame. Some one got greedy and saw dollar signs. Now we have to pay for it and it's only going to get worse. At least ther vehicles are starting to look nice. When I was young the where always noted as being ugly vehicles and cheap. Now they are the total opposite.

Fieldman12
05-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I guess my number one question is who will buy all these $50,000. dollar trucks, high priced land, expensive houses, if all our jobs go else where and the ones left dont pay anything. Maybe we will be running for the border.

Dirty Water
05-08-2007, 11:08 PM
If you are concerned about losing your job, then start looking at re-educating yourself to get a job you can't lose.

outlaw1960
05-08-2007, 11:35 PM
One reason our jobs pay less is because we are on a global economy. If we took more care of our self and worried less about the other coutries I feel wages would be better. From what I have seen the jobs brought in from the foreign outfits does not pay any better than our jobs at all. Besides look at the ugly outfits they make you wear. It is hard to keep from buying foreign these days but we have our self to blame. Some one got greedy and saw dollar signs.

Sounds like Walmart all over again.......

muddstopper
05-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Wow,

Ok question one........do the foriegn companies give back.???..What do you call building factories to produce the cars and trucks purchased by us in the U.S.A......Who is employed in these factories at "Good " wages.....??? Americans.........
Better take another look at the actual facts about all those new factories the Japs are building here. In every single case, the American taxpayers paid for the building of those plants thru huge tax incentives to build them here. Some of the tax breaks where equivalent to $200,000 for every single person the company employed at those plants. On top of that, the government created special tax-free duty zones so that the foreign companies could import the parts to built their cars without having to pay any import fees. the average American part content in one of those Toys, is around 43% and in some cases as little as 2%, which means for every job they created with their new plants, the American public has lost approx 20 jobs in the related manufacturing of automobile part. On top of that, all the profits for the foreign companies go overseas without having to pay any income taxes.
Yes ,the big 3 have lost their way through the years BUT now look at them.....Some of the best products in years ..then again still trying to give us "Junk' too.....
You cant seriously be comparing Toyota's quality to that of the American car companies. In the last 3 years, Toyota has recalled more cars than they have built and this year looks to be no exception. for the last several years, American cars have consistently outperformed the Japanese autos in quality and make 4 out of the top five in customer satisfaction.

And it is not just the "Car" or Small truck...even the ckass 8 rigs are " mixing"...Our 4 new Macks are "Volvoized" ( yes a new word:cool2: )....And if you buy equipment ......who has a recent CAT that is built to pre-80's spec:usflag: :usflag: .....

World economy is just that.........tighten that belt ,buy smart and most of all be loyal to the company that treats you the same:) :) .......These will be the folks passing down the family business to their kids......and retiring well..not check to check........

I'm 49 years old, soon to be 50 and can retire today. I have worked 6 days a week for the last 30+ years and dint intent to stop anytime soon. I consider buying smart, buying US made whenever possible and insuring that my kids are able to still find a decent job in the United States, instead of selling them out by sending my money overseas.

Snoope back quiet

Fieldman12
05-09-2007, 01:40 AM
There is no job out there you do not have to worry about loosing. You have to learn these days to be able to do many task. I have said that many times.

lawnstriper23
05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Ford in Brookpark, Ohio is closing one of their plants. Why you ask? Because the demand for domstic garbage is down. Take a look at the overall sales of cars and trucks in the US, Toyota and Honda are at the top. The numbers tell all.....

deere615
05-10-2007, 09:44 PM
It ain't the amount of horspower its how good the truck is built to use its horsepower I had a craftsman 19hp that sucked and couldn't cut crap now i have a deere 16hp that cuts 10x as much grass. I really like to see how long these trucks last as work trucks before the start having problems.

M&SLawnCare
05-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Horsepower means absolutly nothing, especually for trucks. Toyota fans amazingly seem to miss this fact still and gloat about pure horsepower. Its torque that determines if and how well you can pull a load, and its torque that wins races. You relise those 18 wheeler trucks have motors that often have under 400 horse power right lol.

Old quote i heard from a wise man "Horsepower sells engines, torque wins races"

wriken
05-10-2007, 10:30 PM
I thought it was 401 torque, on the toyota