PDA

View Full Version : It's HOT, Be careful!!

SJR Lawncare
08-09-2001, 05:22 PM
It is so hot pretty much across the entire country, 100 here in Maryland today. I have 3 properties in a row, & today after I finished mowing them without getting too overheated (because I use a velke with my WB). I started trimming as I always do, & about midway thru, I really started to feel the heat taking a serious toll on me. I had to slow down. I should have stopped, took a water break in the shade, but I didnt, I wanted to finish & get home. by the time I finished, I thought I was dying. This has never happened to me before & I will never overdo it again. I am 28 years old & thought I can handle the heat, but this is serious heat & humidity. So, be careful guys, take your time, even if it takes longer. Better safe than sorry.

SJR

Richard Martin
08-09-2001, 07:18 PM
Yeah, it has been brutal here in MD since Monday. I know for you guys who have been suffering for a month or more this seems wimpy but we had had real nice temps right up until Monday. It was close to 100 today with 50+% humidity. It is quite a system shock. Riding around on or behind a mower is bad enough but when you pick up that trimmer it really gets to you.

guntruck
08-09-2001, 07:32 PM
You can say that again, i cant remember weather like this here last year. We had some 10+ yard mulch jobs this and next weeks thank god there in the shade or i dont think we would be doing them.

Good Luck staying cool!!!

TJLC
08-09-2001, 08:17 PM
The heat has been bothering me more this year. I'm slowing down, taking more breaks and drinking more water. I'm also trying not to work more than 8 hr. days. My first stop when I get home is the pool.

Lawn-Scapes
08-09-2001, 09:15 PM
C'mon guys... suck it up! :)

It was freakin' blistering today. Brought back memories of Florida... Non stop dripping wet. I managed to get through 6 lawns and called it quits at 3:00. I don't think I was as detailed with the trimming today.

More of the same tomorrow... then relief.. yippee!

We need a lot of rain!!!!

cp
08-09-2001, 09:22 PM
:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

You better belief it is hot!!!!!!!

Thermometer in my truck today at 1:00PM was reading 106 degrees!!!

And it is under the dash not in the direct sun...

crazygator
08-09-2001, 09:30 PM
I feel for you guys up there where it usually not this hot or humid. Here in Tennessee it's always like this. We usually get a very hot end of July and have it through September. Always have to be careful and look for signs of overheating, or dehydration. I'm going through a whole week of clothes in a day due to being so wet from the heat.

Lawn DOG
08-09-2001, 11:14 PM
It has been so HOT!:blob2:
Had to send the guys home early almost every day this week. Had two get dizzy the other day and one had a heat stroke. He didn't know where he was and wouldn't respond when we talked to him. We had to get him into a cold shower and force him to drink water. Was pretty scary. Thought we were gonna lose one of our best workers. Don't want to see anybody die out there. There isn't a job in this world worth that. You'll be careful out there! Don't want any repeats of what happened to that Minnosota Viking.

Paradise Yard Service
08-10-2001, 02:10 AM
Been 88/89 all week. Lots of trade winds (15 mph) to cool as you work! I know what you Maryland people are going through, lived in Ft. Meade. And you Tennesee folks I know I lived just a little north of you in Ft. Knox Ky-unbearable! Still, we have the rest of the summer and October can be brutal with the humid. We get a little break in winter as the temps hover around low 80s in Kailua where most of my work is. Water = life. Need to go bodysurfing Friday after work. Sandy beach is going off lately.

Drink up boyz.

Aloha,

P.Y.S.

Charles
08-10-2001, 08:07 AM
This is a regular event in the south. Temps in 90s and 100s are the norm. I just keep on working. If you dont work when its wet or too dry or 2 hot might as quit the lawn care down here. Mind you I drink alot of ice water. I like this weather because this is when the competition starts dropping out and my phone really starts ringing.

AltaLawnCare
08-10-2001, 09:47 AM
It's more the humidity that bothers me. It seems to wear me down. It seems like any property with lots of trees or near a river (or any body of water) is much worse.

SLS
08-10-2001, 10:02 AM
Yep...chopping in Tennessee means TONS of ice water to survive.

And you do have to cut in the wet here because it is so humid you would have to wait ALL DAY for the grass to dry if it rains the night before.

Be prepared to sweat here in the Volunteer State. :)

And Charles is right...I got a 'scrub wash-out' call this morning and 2 more earlier in the week...bring it on! :D

thelawnguy
08-10-2001, 02:48 PM
Upper 90s all this week, 102 yesterday, up to 93 today til a noontime t-storm dropped the temps back to the low 80s. I didnt work Mon, was home by noon tue and wed, yesterday I got home at 11 and made a beeline to the neighbors pool just slowed long enough to drop my pants and boots. Today I cut some trees in the am, done til Monday.

Not a big deal as we are scarce for rain and the lawns are all brown.

bobbygedd
08-11-2001, 07:36 PM
i spent this past week in virginia on vacation, my o my was it hot. i didnt leave that air conditioned cabin for more than 5 min at a time. its not that the heat was bothering ME, the damned beer just got warm so fast.

sheppard
08-12-2001, 08:07 AM
Tallahassee is hot 9 months out of the year- but the past two weeks have been bad because the wind was minimal. Was trimming a slope woth overgrown ivy (forgot the kind) last week with a blade attachment. By 2 PM I was dizzy. Started taking breaks every 30 minutes. Didn't help. Decided that if I was cutting with a spinning blade on a slope while I was dizzy was grounds to call it a day. Did not feel normal untill the following evening!

Cordially,
Sheppard

Allyn
08-12-2001, 05:55 PM
You are not drinking enough water. Get those 1 gal. bottles of juice. Fill up 3/4 with water. Freeze it over night, and then fill it up the rest of the way in the morning. Of course I am out at 5:00 am and done by 1:00 pm.

Allyn