PDA

View Full Version : Get Your Rotor Running....

PurpHaze
05-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Cool shirt we all got from Ewing this week for purchasing MP-Rotators. :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-05-2007, 06:05 PM
the reason why people havent replied to this,because they are convinced you dream about irrigatIOWN if you dream about irrigation @ night.

Flow Control
05-05-2007, 06:09 PM
nevermind, censors would change it anyway.. .. .. disregard post. Like they did to the post above

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 06:15 PM
the reason why people havent replied to this,because they are convinced you dream about irrigatIOWN if you dream about irrigation @ night.

Now if Michael stepped in....you put your foot into it again
just when things settle down...you manage to tip the garbage can over...
again!.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Now if Michael stepped in....you put your foot into it again, ROTARD,
just when things settle down...you manage to tip the garbage can over...
again!.

you know what they say..

dont throw stones if you live in a glass house....

Michael J. Donovan
05-05-2007, 06:24 PM
we obviously don't mind disagreements and people arguing their points, but please try to remember that the name calling doesn't need to go on :nono: and we try our hardest not to have that occur.

Thanks...your cooperation is very much appreciated

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks Michael... Even tho I don't have a clue what it's got to do w/Purp's
cool shirt.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-05-2007, 06:44 PM
we obviously don't mind disagreements and people arguing their points, but please try to remember that the name calling doesn't need to go on :nono: and we try our hardest not to have that occur.

Thanks...your cooperation is very much appreciated

Mike-no problem....

my apoligies....I just dont take kindly to name calling....but realize i shouldn't stoop to such levels...

again im sorry ill keep it professional

Michael J. Donovan
05-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the apology, but it wasn't directed at just you Rotar...I meant to all involved...no need to call names, we can all get our points across with having to resort to that.

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the apology, but it wasn't directed at just you Rotar...I meant to all involved...no need to call names, we can all get our points across with having to resort to that.

Yass, It did get out of hand, we'll be more carefull Michael...
"subtleties"...."a fine distinction".

sheshovel
05-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Yes Purp called him a Pr, that's not nice.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-05-2007, 07:18 PM
purp=best in the business..

he should leave the callouts for the young bloods and stick to irrigation..

I still like the guy....i just dont know why he dislikes me..
is it because i am a young pup?ARRRRF~

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 07:44 PM
purp=best in the business..

he should leave the callouts for the young bloods and stick to irrigation..

I still like the guy....i just dont know why he dislikes me..
is it because i am a young pup?ARRRRF~

You brought yourself to the dance...we can't help it if we've had many
"experts" after a couple of years tell us how it's done, not that we're not
open to listening..if it's reasonable.

Wet_Boots
05-05-2007, 10:09 PM
i just dont know why he dislikes me..
is it because i am a young pup?ARRRRF~The young pup may be inferring dislike in places where there isn't any. Once a brash young pup makes a loud entrance, it becomes the privilege of old-timers to rag on said young pup. Just like baseball rookies get 'the business' from their more experienced elders. Malice doesn't enter into it.

Remote Pigtails
05-05-2007, 10:20 PM
How do you give a wedgie on the WWW?

Mike Leary
05-05-2007, 10:22 PM
The young pup may be inferring dislike in places where there isn't any. Once a brash young pup makes a loud entrance, it becomes the privilege of old-timers to rag on said young pup. Just like baseball rookies get 'the business' from their more experienced elders. Malice doesn't enter into it.

And, in the end.....we mite have somehow given back to get the pups

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-05-2007, 10:29 PM
ARRRRRRF!

I honestly think this hard time you all are giving me is kinda fun....
I'm honored by it honestly.

:)

ROTARD

Wet_Boots
05-05-2007, 10:34 PM
When TV commercials were a full minute long, one of the best was the rookie beer truck driver having to stand on a keg and sing the Shaefer Beer jingle. Wonder if it's on YouTube.

Remote Pigtails
05-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Cool shirt we all got from Ewing this week for purchasing MP-Rotators. :)

I know I'm going against the tide. Everybody seems to be on the MP rotator bandwagon. I just don't think they are that great. I've used both them and RB rotators and I prefer the RBs. The angle of the spray is better. (lower) The precip in in/hr is a little higher which seems to appeal more to the customers. They turn faster which makes them more entertaining to watch. I'm only using them to improve low pressure and poor spacing situations on existing systems. I sure as heck wouldn't design a system with these things. I'd stick with PGPs and if pressure was an issue I'd use maxi-paws before I'd use MPs or RB rotators. Also why are DIYers taught the manifold concept by this forum. A valve should be in the area of the zone it is responsible for and preferably somewhere in the middle of it. :waving:

Wet_Boots
05-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Also why are DIYers taught the manifold concept by this forum. A valve should be in the area of the zone it is responsible for and preferably somewhere in the middle of it. :waving:....and if it's a FIMCO valve, installed upside down, even better!

PurpHaze
05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
I know I'm going against the tide. Everybody seems to be on the MP rotator bandwagon. I just don't think they are that great.

For our situation they have worked well so far. Your mileage will vary. :)

Remote Pigtails
05-06-2007, 02:05 PM
For our situation they have worked well so far. Your mileage will vary. :)

I just remember what happened to all those Toro stream rotor systems. The original owner understood the run times he needed. New owners come in. Crank the time back. Call service people who show up with PGPs or 5000s. They replace one or two. Use no. 9 nozzles. Areas with the new rotors start to look better and next thing you know all the stream rotors get yanked up. I have found that homeowners have a real aversion to running zones for more than 30 minutes. You can explain til your blue in the face and all they seem to get is that "it's running for an HOUR!" I can see in your situation purp they might work because you will maintain the integrity of the system. Service companies don't want to run around with inventory for everything out there. We carry no Toro nozzles. If we need a nozzle change the whole head is getting yanked. The price on those MPs is not that great. An MP plus a RB 1804 is going to cost about what a PGP costs and one is a long time tested product. The other is the modern irrigation version of the Bee Gees.

Dirty Water
05-06-2007, 02:26 PM
You seriously mix PGP's and Stream Rotors instead of carrying a few 300 series nozzles on your truck?

Thats almost as bad as mixing rotors and sprays precipitation rate wise.

Mike Leary
05-06-2007, 02:37 PM
You seriously mix PGP's and Stream Rotors instead of carrying a few 300 series nozzles on your truck?

Not to mention how crappy the zone would look. I still love stream-rotors,
but they do eat water & pressure; MPs are a poor (psi/gpm) man's SR.

Wet_Boots
05-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I'll still offer the 300's for anyone willing to pay for better. Anyone ever include the XP-300's in a stream rotor job?

Mike Leary
05-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Was the XP a "stream" or single spray..anyone ever have the misfortune of
installing the short-lived 340? I ragged Toro at I.A. ad nauseum to make a
6" SR w/a built-in LDC..think they ever listen to us? SR gets pretty spendy
when you have to use the Hunter pressure eater LDC.

Wet_Boots
05-06-2007, 03:13 PM
XP was(is) a 4-stream nozzle. Two opposing distance sprays and two opposing close-in sprays. Same kind of arc-disc operation. No basket filter, since the nozzles aren't so tiny.

You do have to allow for manufacturers not being in any hurry to spend for new molds for products they might not sell enough of. This even goes back to installers suggesting that a 'backwards' brass impact head would be useful, so that they could make use of the side-splash water landing to the left of the main stream, instead of to the right. Reps tried hard to not roll their eyes when they heard stuff like this.

Remote Pigtails
05-06-2007, 03:31 PM

You're right but we don't run into enough SR to justify the cost or dedicate the space. If they are going to hire us to maintain their system they are going to have to accept the inventory we carry. We carry A LOT of stuff and do pretty darn good maintaining the variety of heads and valves we run into. If we run into a SR system that has already had heads replaced we don't try and restore the original system. Every now and then I'll run into a really well done SR system (some of my early ones with 18' spacing) and out of respect for that original designer and installer I'll make a special trip to the supply house to keep it maintained. Most of the ones I run into have head spacing of around 30' so replacing them all with PGPs is going to make it a better system in my opinion.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I wrote the book on rotars n sprays....

any questions ?
comments?

Ed G
05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
head it on the highway

Lookin for adventure or what ever comes our way

fire all the guns at once....

Jeese, I can't believe no on else is into this classic song.

No wonder Purp and I hit it off immediately.

CAPT Stream Rotar
05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
head it on the highway

Lookin for adventure or what ever comes our way

fire all the guns at once....

Jeese, I can't believe no on else is into this classic song.

No wonder Purp and I hit it off immediately.

when is the wedding date?

Ed G
05-07-2007, 06:21 AM
when you and the band get the song nailed

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Don't know what to tell you Peter but one of the responsibilities of an irrigator is to maintain the integrity of a system. I think that if you were to run into a mixed rotor/SR system you'd want to sell a completed zone repair instead of just a single sprinkler head. If that means removing the SR/MPR heads and replacing them all with rotors then so be it. I'd prefer to go the other way.

For example... when I converted my entire home system (front/side/back) to MPRs I was able to actually cut the total run times due to doubling up zones. The biggest advantage is that my front yard is somewhat sloped and I now experience much less runoff than when I had sprays. If you were to come in and put a rotor in as a replacement and throw the entire system out of whack I'd start wondering what type of irrigator you were.

You're already carrying your favorite spray pop-up sprinkler body. How difficult would it be to carry a small variety of the MPR sprinkler "nozzle" if you start to run into them so you can replace like-for-like? As with any sprinkler... the longer it's been around the more likely you'll run into it.

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 09:19 AM
I'll still offer the 300's for anyone willing to pay for better. Anyone ever include the XP-300's in a stream rotor job?

In my experience... original 300 SR = good product and we still use it; XP 300 = junk. :)

Wet_Boots
05-07-2007, 09:27 AM
When did you use the XP-300's? I have just a few of them, that I got as an experiment. No way do they spray as far as the data sheet says. I have a few of the older 320 Rain Pro heads on systems I service. They definitely spray further than a XP-300 does. I guess the larger-diameter nozzle turret helps.

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 09:39 AM
When did you use the XP-300's?

We tried them out when they first came out. Seem to be more homeowner oriented and we just didn't like the performance as compared to the original 300 SR.

Wet_Boots
05-07-2007, 10:01 AM
We talking the same thing? Let me find an old catalog. I wonder if you were thinking of the 340, with 'Omni' nozzle, and plastic arc disc/seal. It's just that I don't think of any head you have to complete with separate nozzle and arc disc, as being 'homeowner oriented' any more than the original 300 is.

Wet_Boots
05-07-2007, 10:34 AM
By the way, not being satisfied with underwhelming the world with the XP-300, they sold a special full-circle version with only two opposing nozzles in the turret (one distance one close-in) with the model number 604

Remote Pigtails
05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Don't know what to tell you Peter but one of the responsibilities of an irrigator is to maintain the integrity of a system. I think that if you were to run into a mixed rotor/SR system you'd want to sell a completed zone repair instead of just a single sprinkler head. If that means removing the SR/MPR heads and replacing them all with rotors then so be it. I'd prefer to go the other way.

Sometimes I do. I tend to go with the heavier flow. Every situation is different. Single Moms on a tight budget get one kind of service. People who are really interested in what a SS is all about get another kind of service. I try to meet them where they are at financially and mentally. You on the other hand I would make a special to the supply house and do whatever it takes.

mikecaldwell1204
05-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Wish there were more people down here in Florida like you Purp and Dirtywater who actually understand the concept of do not mix zones. Im only 21 and know not to do that but somehow my superiors and most everyone around here cannot seem to grasp that concept.

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 10:47 PM
We talking the same thing? Let me find an old catalog. I wonder if you were thinking of the 340, with 'Omni' nozzle, and plastic arc disc/seal. It's just that I don't think of any head you have to complete with separate nozzle and arc disc, as being 'homeowner oriented' any more than the original 300 is.

The plastic sounds familiar.

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 10:49 PM
By the way, not being satisfied with underwhelming the world with the XP-300, they sold a special full-circle version with only two opposing nozzles in the turret (one distance one close-in) with the model number 604

The Toro "604" I've used in the past was a full circle Super 600 with opposing nozzles, one long distance and one shorter.

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Sometimes I do. I tend to go with the heavier flow. Every situation is different. Single Moms on a tight budget get one kind of service. People who are really interested in what a SS is all about get another kind of service. I try to meet them where they are at financially and mentally. You on the other hand I would make a special to the supply house and do whatever it takes.

I can understand this reasoning. :)

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Wish there were more people down here in Florida like you Purp and Dirtywater who actually understand the concept of do not mix zones. Im only 21 and know not to do that but somehow my superiors and most everyone around here cannot seem to grasp that concept.

Here's one for you then. This zone was put in about 24 years ago by district plumbers. It has a mixture of spray pop-ups, stream rotors, mid-sized rotors and a couple of large field rotors all on a single 2" valve. :dizzy:

I may tackle it before I leave and totally renovate into two zones. :)

Remote Pigtails
05-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Here's one for you then. This zone was put in about 24 years ago by district plumbers. It has a mixture of spray pop-ups, stream rotors, mid-sized rotors and a couple of large field rotors all on a single 2" valve. :dizzy:

I may tackle it before I leave and totally renovate into two zones. :)

Out of curiosity what run time did you chose? I'm betting 25 minutes. Have you ever used the "add a zone" for splitting valve wires?

Remote Pigtails
05-07-2007, 11:46 PM

For example... when I converted my entire home system (front/side/back) to MPRs I was able to actually cut the total run times due to doubling up zones. The biggest advantage is that my front yard is somewhat sloped and I now experience much less runoff than when I had sprays. If you were to come in and put a rotor in as a replacement and throw the entire system out of whack I'd start wondering what type of irrigator you were.

By the way purp I did convert 1/2 of my front yard to MPs and set the precipitation rate for that zone to .5" per hour on my smartline so we'll see how it compares to the other side which is 20' spaced brass nozzles at 1"/hr by the end of this summer. I just finished converting a bed zone from 18gpm spray to drip for individual plants and it now runs at 6gpm. My goal is to get my avg total water usage (house and yard) per day to around 125 gallons. Yes I will continue to take one quick shower a day.

PurpHaze
05-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Out of curiosity what run time did you chose? I'm betting 25 minutes.

Pretty close... 22 minutes. :laugh:

Have you ever used the "add a zone" for splitting valve wires?

Have never used it but I like the idea that the two zones can be given different watering times. Have tried the "doublers" in the past and immediately junked them.

The controller is located in the small building behind the sea train container in the third picture. The main line and makeup box with extra wire is located in the grass area to the right of the sea train. Won't be a problem adding a valve and I'll just start over from scratch, abandoning everything and running new pipe, etc.

mikecaldwell1204
05-08-2007, 08:58 PM
You mean your not suppossed to do that?:laugh: I swear thats what everyone tells me is a high end system.

PurpHaze
05-08-2007, 10:47 PM
You mean your not suppossed to do that?:laugh: I swear thats what everyone tells me is a high end system.

Nah... This is a "high end" system. :laugh: