PDA

View Full Version : 15.5 Kohler/Craftsman mower

Poot
05-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Yesterday I was given a NICE 2000 or 2001 Craftsman lawn tractor with a 15.5 single cylinder Kohler motor. Thing is the guy said it had a SLIGHT miss at idle so he, in the process of NOT knowing what he was doing, loosened the governor lever on the shaft and...turned it. Now (according to him) it runs wide open so to save my buying another manual, anyone know the correct way to reset this? I've not attempted to start it until I can get it back as it should be. Do I loosen the arm then pull it full towards the carb (counterclock wise) then turn the shaft full clockwise, do the opposite, or what? Any idea will be greatly appreciated in advance!
Poot

Bill Kapaun
05-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Why BUY a manual?

http://www.kohlerengines.com/service/manuals/index.jsp

Poot
05-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks Bill for the link. I adjusted the gov. per the procedure but it still wouldn't idle. So, I took the motor off and apart to find the gov. gear had fallen off it's shaft rendering it useless. According to Kohler, once removed it has to be replaced as they say there are tabs in the gears hole that I suppose hold it on the shaft. As I orginally said, the previous owner "adjusted" the gov arm to try and make it idle better. In doing so he apparently let the shaft turn downward letting the gear fall off it's shaft. What I can't figure is how, since it has these tabs inside the gears center hole, did it fall off the shaft. Anyway, whether I know why or not, it did fall off and was laying in the oil pan. So a new gear shold get this one going and again, thank you for the link/info.
Poot ;) :cool2:

Poot
05-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Why BUY a manual?

http://www.kohlerengines.com/service/manuals/index.jsp

Afternoon Bill. Shortly after I got the instructions on how to adjust the gov on this motor, I did and it still wouldn't run right. Sooooo I took the motor off, took the pan off, and found the gov. gear laying loose. I had it turned on it's frontend when I took the pan off so it didn't fall off due to something I'd done. Apparently when the owner "adjusted" the gov. arm he loosened it enough so that the gov. shaft (thru the block) turned down letting the gear drop off of it shaft. All is well now and runs good.
Poot :dancing: